Tips for falling asleep quickly

I’ve been trying WBTB with both MILD and WILD (saying that I will lucid dream and visualizing a dream scene) but I always find that I can never get back to sleep properly. Worse, the technique helps to keep me awake (if I forget about LDs it’s easier to doze off). Does anybody else have this problem? Are there any techniques to get back to sleep? I set my alarm for about 4 hours after going to bed, wake, write in my dream journal and read about LDing then go back to bed. I can normally get to sleep quite quickly when I first go to bed, just not the second time.

sleep normaly…

don’t over think the process…

when you are ready to be lucid you will be…

I don’t tend to become lucid though if I just let myself fall asleep. Do other people tend to have success with just WBTB without using WILD/MILD with it?

Probably not, I sure don’t. The reasoning here is that WBTB isn’t an induction technique in and of itself. WBTB is merely a way of enhancing other techniques because it allows a fresh attempt later at night when it is typically easier to go back to sleep and when you enter REM sleep much quicker.

Perhaps if you are having a lot of trouble and it’s affecting your quality of sleep, you could try just using MILD when you are going to sleep without WBTB.

I suspect that the problem getting back to sleep could be caused by one of two things. The first being the time taken to record dreams in your Dream Journal, especially if you are using a bright light, causing you to become too awakened. I find myself that if I’m up for a period of time, it gets a little harder to get back to sleep.

The second that comes to mind is if you are worrying about getting back to sleep. I think in some cases people get into a cycle of thinking, I’m not asleep, why can’t I sleep. This is repeated and stops them sleeping. If this is the cause, it’s a case of relaxing and not worrying about sleeping. It’s something that will come naturally, you don’t need to fight for it, just let it happen. I hope that helped. :smile:

Try not to stay awake too long during WBTB then. Just wake up and think “I’m going to be lucid when I fall asleep. :happy:” then go back to sleep. Try not to think while you fall asleep. It may not be as effective as staying up longer and repeating a mantra or something, but you’ll be more likely to fall asleep.

i did not really try any of these techniques and got a Ld when i did not want it. or the day i said “i don’t care if i get it or not”. :tongue: it was funny but i got an Ld. so do not over think it just let it happen. :smile:

yeah, just “let go” and let the dream come to you!

To me it seems that I cant sleep when I know I have set an alarm clock 5-6 hours later to try WBTB, so I always end up lying awake for a long time and then when the alarm goes off I havent been asleep for 5-6 hours but like… one.