If you die in your dream do you die in real life?

Well, if it was true, I would be dead quite a few times over…

I’ve thought about this a long time. Imagination can a powerful instrument!
Maybe I try to shoot a hole into my head, next time I’m lucid…:wink:

Hopefully, I can tell you about the results…rofl

I’m seriously interested in this - I’ve died in dreams before, but what if you actually comitted suicide. In a normal dream it probably wouldn’t matter, but in a LD where you have a direct connection with the sub-conscious…? Obviously killing yourself could be symbolic of something, eg. getting rid of an unwanted habit in the brain, but what if you somehow willed your real body into shutting itself down, or told yourself to stop breathing? Any volunteers for a trail run? No?

A friend of mine has had a few accidental lucid dreams, and kills himself intentionally every time. He does it because dying is the one of the few activities that no matter how you try, it is totally impossible to do more than once in real life. And he’s still very alive. So hopefully that puts that argument to rest…

in the matrix they mention this, if your mind convinces its self you are dead then theoretically you will die.

ld’s i think are much like the matix, like when neo tries to jump from one building to the other it can be done if you think you can. i had my first proper ld last night and i tried to fly but landed on my face 2 times. maybe because i jumped before i flew hoping to start flying in the air. but… no deal.

actually i just remembered that if you think its reality then your mind will convince your body…

i just answered my own question, however its an interesting topic.

One night, I dreamed that I was put on a sidewalk by two men. They told me that they would give me 2 injections. The first one would make me dizzy, the second one would kill me…as soon as I got the second injection, I had a blackout…it was a pretty weird feeling…I saw pure darkness. You could define this kind of darkness as a kind of matter. Matter of the afterlife…a curved light blue shimmering surface, connected with what we call “reality”. It was an almost spiritual experience!! :wiske:

Heres a better Question. If it was true how would you know? no one who did it would wake up to tell about it :grin: :cool: :cool_laugh: :content: :smile: :happy: :wink: :cool: :neutral: :cheesy: :shy: :grrr: :sad: :eh: :alien: :confused: :wiske: :tongue: :eek: :blush: :bored: :partying_face:

I think you’ve been watching too much of The Matrix kiddies…

I’ve been killed many times. The worst was when I witnessed a murder and the murderer caught me and put a gun to my head and said “goodbye”. I felt a blow to the head and woke up.

Very intense and interesting…

When I was about six years old, I died in a dream and went to Hell. I eventually woke up, of course, but it was rather disturbing…

Actually, I think the Matrix is about lucid dreaming… it makes so many references to it.

Ginkgothian - I like your description of matter of the afterlife.

Your experience, reminded me of a similar one, in which a guy told me I was going to have acid. I wasn’t really up for it at all, and was praying that ‘it wasn’t a full trip’, as I hadn’t had any time to prepare for it. He just injected me with it, and next thing I know the trip is heavily building in intensity.

My ability to use third eye becomes quite powerful, and I can perceive the energy around me. Though it is a bit intense, and the overpowering sense of death begins to overwhelm me. The dream ends, with this water splurting out of my body. It wasn’t the nicest of experiences, but was an itnerestning state of mind nevertheless.

Yeah, I think the matrix is about LDing aswell, but I’m sure that you can’t die just from dying in a dream.

I have died in a LD before and a normal dream and i’m still alive.

But, i have also had a LD where i could control my dream body independently from my real body. I could choose witch one to move. But i wonder what would happen if i got mixed up and in a LD i went and killed myself for fun and say, got a knife and stabbed myself. Well if i got confused i might kill myself in real life. with a knife.
However, if i tried to kill myself by jumping off a building in real life then there wouldn’t be a problem unless i lived on a tall building.

But about the brain thinking you’re dead and killing you… It might believe that you’re dead, but i think that the natural and automatic functions of the body would continue. If you were dead why would it worry what it was doing… its dead.

Isn’t this a lovely topic :eh:

I have heard of this actually happening - the experience being so intense that somebody died.

Then I thought to myself later - wait a minute, how do we know about this?
He couldn’t have told anybody…

Then again, it could all have been a dream :wink:

Makes you wonder though, when you hear of people dying in their sleep…

I’ve had one such experience to where I was walking by and came across my house. Something wasn’t right though… my house was entirely made out of glass, and I saw a group of guys with guns surrounding the couch that I was to sleep in. So I walked in, and just like taking no notice of the guys, I squeezed my way through and laid myself on the couch… right in the middle of this mob! Then I SWEAR I could feel this cold metalic object pressed against my head, and then I open my eyes to see the barrel pointed against my head. It was so cool because though it was a dream, I could feel every bit of it… from the couch beneath my body, and the cold barrel against my head. Then I saw the finger pull the trigger to the gun, and without seeing a flash, my head actually jerks back (it feels like it did in real ylife as well) and then all I saw was darkness, and all the sounds around me grew quiet… just as if I were a television and everything just shut off. Did I wake up? Well, not right after I was killed… I actually went onto another dream… but I tell you… in that dream, I was so convenced that I was actually dead. I wasn’t completely lucid in my dream, so I really didn’t know I was dreaming, though I did find it wierd after I woke up that I just waltzed right in there knowing that there was a mob with guns awaiting me… hmmm… maybe my dream self is very brave and comfortable with everything that goes on…

How could you know that you were actually controlling your body, that you didn’t just dream that?

This is really an interesting topic (not to mention disturbing) but anyway. I think it would be a really rare thing (if at all) that people would die in their dreams, I mean, where would anybody get such an idea, it’s not like anyone would know about it because they’d be dead. Plus lots of people have died in their dreams and their still very much alive.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, however, you would have to be in a very intense state of mind, you know what I mean? You’d have to really believe that you’re dead, and I mean REALLY believe it. I’m sure you’ve all heard that if you’re mind really believes something then your body will follow. I don’t know if that works for death or not but I don’t think you have anything to worry about, unless you seriously WANT to die, you know? :blush:

Hello everyone! Interesting topic!

My most vivid and realistic, not to mention frightening, “dream-death” experience is this:

Aliens had invaded the planet and we were at the start of a war with them. I was running along the streets sometime and night. I had a gun on me and was running for my life. I got hit by some alien gun or something and knew I was going to die. I felt myself die. It was frightening. And when I died, everything went BLACK in my dream. For about two minutes. I FELT dead. It was incredible.

The worst part was, was that suddenly I was alive again, but I was reincarnated…as an alien! I lived out the last minutes of my dream as a reincarnated alien (kind of like an undead zomibe?).

I’ve had a few death dreams, this was the most odd and realistic and frightening. I haven’t died in real life yet, so far so good. :smile: