First Steps to WILD part V (Basic WILD Q&A)

I gots a few questions about WILDS: :help:

I know we only have dreams during the REM period of sleeping and this does not happpen until we had a few hours of sleep so is it physically possible to WILD and LD at night right as you go to sleep for the day?

Yesterday I tried WILD around 11:00 p.m. as I was going to sleep.
I relax then I would start to count 1,2,3…10 then when i get to ten i would count backwards 10,9,8…1 and so on after a while i saw colors and i felt me sinking into my bed then i felt my eyes moving by themselves after that the feeling went away and I was left with nothing…

What should I do different

I have read that it is possible to use WILD directly without waking up in the middle of the night, but it is much more difficult. You would probably have to lay there until your first REM cycle starts, which is about 90 minutes. Also, the REM cycles get longer as the night goes on, so the dream would be much shorter. I’d say your best bet would be to combine WILD with WBTB. It can become a problem though, since you will be losing some sleep. My advice would be to try it on nights that you don’t have to get up early.

I also tried to WILD the other night fo the first time. I did the relaxing technique where you flex your toes than up to your head or whatever. It seemed to work very well. I slowly started to feel really heavy and I didn’t want to move at all. I just kept laying there letting my body fall asleep. Then my heart beat increased rapidly and my breathing became very heavy. I let this slide for awhile. I then started to see some flashes of lights above me and small pictures of landscape started to appear and dissapear, but I think I may have done that myself without knowing. I eventually became worried about my breathing and heart rate so I conciously tried slowing my breathing because I was paranoid and I didn’t think I could fall asleep during those conditions and it couldn’t be good. After I was slowing my breathing I realized I was uncomfortable and it all went downhill from there. I completely lost it all and I couldn’t fall asleep again for an hour.

I’ve mainly just been hoping to have a DILD. Is there anything else I can do?

It’s weird, but the heart rate increasing, and your funny breathing are all in your head. It’s one of the harder parts to get through in the WILD process considering we’re supposed to stay level headed and calm during the whole stage, the moment you concenrtate too hard on breathing or anything else you wake up out of it… it’s mostly something that just comes with time. You’ll learn to deal with it, and that it’s nothing to worry about.

This is actually just an illusion. Your breathing is fine, your mind is testing to see if your body is asleep so your mind can enter the dream. Just hold out a bit longer next time, and you’ll have had a sucessful WILD.

When ever i try to WILD, i get this feeling that i am sinking through the bed after about 15-20 min., but i never get anywhere after that. What should i do differently??

When i try this technique, i get to the point where if feel like i am rocking back and forth, but i cant get any farther than that. And usually it takes me about 30 mins to fall asleep, so i need to use this technique when im feeling very tired, and close to falling asleep right?

Last night i went to bed at 11:30, woke up at four, read stuff on the forum until five, went back to bed, and tried WILD. This was my first real attempt to WILD, so i naturally have a couple questions.
After a while of grasping on to my consciousness, I heard a loud quick thumping, and felt like my heart was racing. Was that a hypnagogic hallucination, or was my heart beat actually reaching worrisome rate and pressure?
I kept feeling various forms of mild discomfort (such as an itch on my forehead), not wanting to move to deal with it (must not scratch… must remain still…), then caving in and dealing with it (scraaattcchh). Then i would realize that my mind has been wandering badly, and that i just moved, putting me that much further away from SP. My consciousness would snap back to focus, and i would be acutely aware that i’m still in the exact same comfortable position, and then i would realize that i actually hadn’t moved at all, and really only imagined that i dealt with the problem. Is that HI? I’m not sure, because it wasn’t anything like what i’ve read, but it seems like it might fit the bill.
I actually had a short lucid dream when i fell asleep (i dreamed that i had given up on trying to WILD, but i did a RC before i got out of bed, and discovered that i was dreaming), and i’m quite excited that i’m already seeing results. Now i just want to know if those oddities i experienced were actually the described stages, so that i can gauge exactly how close i got to walking into my dream.
Thanks, in advance, for your help.

You didn’t say you used it, but WBTB can be of great help here. It means you won’t have to wait as long before you will enter your dream, and also the REM period you enter, will be longer. I’d recommend you try it, if you can do so without disrupting your sleep too much.

Yeah, if you aren’t tired, you will find it harder to sleep. If you find the problem is you are taking too long then trying when you are more tired should help with that. It might be better to use WBTB though for the reasons I said above.

I can’t help but feel that many people worry about their heart rate unduly here. I find it hard to believe that the body would allow itself into a condition where it might damage itself, simply by sleeping. I have heard many say it is an illusion, and others say it accelerated until they woke up. I would be inclined to say from that, that it is an illusion, that is brought into a reality by people worrying about themselves and therefore raising their ‘real’ heart rate which breaks their concentration.

That is quite and interesting thing to have happened, if you are sure that it was basically a dream. Then you probably drifted out of consciousness and into a dream-world for a moment.

This together with your previous experience makes me think you are focused on your body a little too much. It sounds like you are entering a dream, but because you are so focused on your body, the dream is centring around it. :tongue: maybe you could try to try to float every now and again when you are relaxing. If you succeed, you know it’s a dream. :smile: Some people don’t have strange experiences, they can just find themselves in the dream.

Thanks a ton for the reply, it cleared up my questions perfectly. :grin:
I look forward to WILDing again.

last night was my first time studying on how to have a LD. On the same night, i tried to do a WILD. I got to a part where my eyes were very watery and i could hear
faint sounds of trains rushing through my ears. Is this the right direction into getting a LD? If so how much longer would i have to stay calm and wait until i get into the LD world?

any other tips for a true true beginner?

Ok, so I tried WILD in the afternoon for a bit, and I could sort of feel my body becoming numb, and I thought that SP was about to come, but it didn’t. I wanted to ask, how long does it take until you reach SP? Another thing is that I am too afraid to do WILD at night because I don’t want to go into SP and hallucinate freaky things, it just sounds really freaky to me, so I do it during the day when I am sort of tired, any tips on how to ignore my fears of SP?

I have these problems too, even if I use WBTB. I stay up for only 15 min though, but I still feel very awake and not tired, should I stay up even less?

Last night when i went to sleep, i was trying to get my body relaxed.
So i counted
1… relax
2… relax and so on.

Within a few minutes i saw a bus driving away from me on a street that i recognized.
The image was only there for a split second. Seeing it got me very very excited and my heart began to race.

Was this the start of a true WILD? I know getting excited in an LD can end it
but if i didnt get excited, would i have been LDing?

This was the second or third time i tried this technique.

Whenever I try WILD my eyes always open, unintentionally! :sad:

I read somewhere that wearing an sleep-mask might help with that problem, Mew.

The other night I was trying to WILD and I had lain still for about 45 minutes when I got impatient and just decided to go to sleep. But as soon as I turned on my side and tried to go to sleep, I felt a massive blackness as a dream. So I tried opening my dream eyes and doing an RC, and I was actually dreaming. My question is, does changing position while trying to WILD hurt or help the process in most cases?

Last night I tried to WILD and I went into SP, I saw some white swirls on the black backround but didn’t get any HH. Then, my eyes started moving back and forth really fast involentarily. I let this go on but it stopped after about a minute. Was it REM? Is this supposed to happen during WILD at all?

nevermind, found the answer to my question.

Hurt. Well, most of the time. I’m guessing you usually sleep on your side. You should try WILDing from there, you will reach dreaming faster ( as you saw). You wanting to roll over is because you are used to sleeping on your side, so your mind wants to make you comfortable enough that you won’t move. That way the body can sleep. Also, the more times the mind tries to make the body sleep, the more desperate it gets, meaning that if you roll into a comfortable position after being uncomfortable for a while, the mind will try harder to make you sleep. BUT… If you move after focusing all your energy into WILDing on your back, you’ll screw yourself over, and have to start again on your side. Move from your back to your side before you reach a state where you feel you will be dreaming soon.

At least that’s what works for me, but then again, I’m pretty weird. :tongue:

Hm, interesting. I’ll try it if MILD doesn’t work out for me. I’m taking a break from WILD to try out some other methods to see if they fit me. Thanks for the response though.