EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 126
Lucid Rhymes

First Steps to WILD part V (Basic WILD Q&A)

Author  Message 
Naugha

PostPosted: Sun 26 Apr, 2009  Reply with quote

When ever i try to WILD, i get this feeling that i am sinking through the bed after about 15-20 min., but i never get anywhere after that. What should i do differently??

Lucidmobsir
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: Just a taste.

PostPosted: Tue 05 May, 2009  Reply with quote

When i try this technique, i get to the point where if feel like i am rocking back and forth, but i cant get any farther than that. And usually it takes me about 30 mins to fall asleep, so i need to use this technique when im feeling very tired, and close to falling asleep right?

Ponient

PostPosted: Sun 31 May, 2009  Reply with quote

Last night i went to bed at 11:30, woke up at four, read stuff on the forum until five, went back to bed, and tried WILD. This was my first real attempt to WILD, so i naturally have a couple questions.
After a while of grasping on to my consciousness, I heard a loud quick thumping, and felt like my heart was racing. Was that a hypnagogic hallucination, or was my heart beat actually reaching worrisome rate and pressure?
I kept feeling various forms of mild discomfort (such as an itch on my forehead), not wanting to move to deal with it (must not scratch... must remain still...), then caving in and dealing with it (scraaattcchh). Then i would realize that my mind has been wandering badly, and that i just moved, putting me that much further away from SP. My consciousness would snap back to focus, and i would be acutely aware that i'm still in the exact same comfortable position, and then i would realize that i actually hadn't moved at all, and really only imagined that i dealt with the problem. Is that HI? I'm not sure, because it wasn't anything like what i've read, but it seems like it might fit the bill.
I actually had a short lucid dream when i fell asleep (i dreamed that i had given up on trying to WILD, but i did a RC before i got out of bed, and discovered that i was dreaming), and i'm quite excited that i'm already seeing results. Now i just want to know if those oddities i experienced were actually the described stages, so that i can gauge exactly how close i got to walking into my dream.
Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Chat Mods
LD count: 13

PostPosted: Fri 05 Jun, 2009  Reply with quote

Naugha wrote:
When ever i try to WILD, i get this feeling that i am sinking through the bed after about 15-20 min., but i never get anywhere after that. What should i do differently??

You didn't say you used it, but WBTB can be of great help here. It means you won't have to wait as long before you will enter your dream, and also the REM period you enter, will be longer. I'd recommend you try it, if you can do so without disrupting your sleep too much.

Lucidmobsir wrote:
When i try this technique, i get to the point where if feel like i am rocking back and forth, but i cant get any farther than that. And usually it takes me about 30 mins to fall asleep, so i need to use this technique when im feeling very tired, and close to falling asleep right?

Yeah, if you aren't tired, you will find it harder to sleep. If you find the problem is you are taking too long then trying when you are more tired should help with that. It might be better to use WBTB though for the reasons I said above.

Ponient wrote:
Last night i went to bed at 11:30, woke up at four, read stuff on the forum until five, went back to bed, and tried WILD. This was my first real attempt to WILD, so i naturally have a couple questions.
After a while of grasping on to my consciousness, I heard a loud quick thumping, and felt like my heart was racing. Was that a hypnagogic hallucination, or was my heart beat actually reaching worrisome rate and pressure?

I can't help but feel that many people worry about their heart rate unduly here. I find it hard to believe that the body would allow itself into a condition where it might damage itself, simply by sleeping. I have heard many say it is an illusion, and others say it accelerated until they woke up. I would be inclined to say from that, that it is an illusion, that is brought into a reality by people worrying about themselves and therefore raising their 'real' heart rate which breaks their concentration.

Ponient wrote:
I kept feeling various forms of mild discomfort (such as an itch on my forehead), not wanting to move to deal with it (must not scratch... must remain still...), then caving in and dealing with it (scraaattcchh). Then i would realize that my mind has been wandering badly, and that i just moved, putting me that much further away from SP. My consciousness would snap back to focus, and i would be acutely aware that i'm still in the exact same comfortable position, and then i would realize that i actually hadn't moved at all, and really only imagined that i dealt with the problem. Is that HI? I'm not sure, because it wasn't anything like what i've read, but it seems like it might fit the bill.

That is quite and interesting thing to have happened, if you are sure that it was basically a dream. Then you probably drifted out of consciousness and into a dream-world for a moment.

Ponient wrote:
I actually had a short lucid dream when i fell asleep (i dreamed that i had given up on trying to WILD, but i did a RC before i got out of bed, and discovered that i was dreaming), and i'm quite excited that i'm already seeing results. Now i just want to know if those oddities i experienced were actually the described stages, so that i can gauge exactly how close i got to walking into my dream.
Thanks, in advance, for your help.

This together with your previous experience makes me think you are focused on your body a little too much. It sounds like you are entering a dream, but because you are so focused on your body, the dream is centring around it. maybe you could try to try to float every now and again when you are relaxing. If you succeed, you know it's a dream. smile Some people don't have strange experiences, they can just find themselves in the dream.

Current LD goal(s): Become a Dragon! RAWR!
Ponient

PostPosted: Sat 06 Jun, 2009  Reply with quote

Thanks a ton for the reply, it cleared up my questions perfectly. grin
I look forward to WILDing again.

gunner602

Am i Getting close?
PostPosted: Sun 07 Jun, 2009  Reply with quote

last night was my first time studying on how to have a LD. On the same night, i tried to do a WILD. I got to a part where my eyes were very watery and i could hear
faint sounds of trains rushing through my ears. Is this the right direction into getting a LD? If so how much longer would i have to stay calm and wait until i get into the LD world?

any other tips for a true true beginner?

Red_head
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 1

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun, 2009  Reply with quote

Ok, so I tried WILD in the afternoon for a bit, and I could sort of feel my body becoming numb, and I thought that SP was about to come, but it didn't. I wanted to ask, how long does it take until you reach SP? Another thing is that I am too afraid to do WILD at night because I don't want to go into SP and hallucinate freaky things, it just sounds really freaky to me, so I do it during the day when I am sort of tired, any tips on how to ignore my fears of SP?

Grix
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: Few

PostPosted: Mon 08 Jun, 2009  Reply with quote

GreenDragon wrote:
Naugha wrote:

You didn't say you used it, but WBTB can be of great help here. It means you won't have to wait as long before you will enter your dream, and also the REM period you enter, will be longer. I'd recommend you try it, if you can do so without disrupting your sleep too much.

Lucidmobsir wrote:

Yeah, if you aren't tired, you will find it harder to sleep. If you find the problem is you are taking too long then trying when you are more tired should help with that. It might be better to use WBTB though for the reasons I said above.

I have these problems too, even if I use WBTB. I stay up for only 15 min though, but I still feel very awake and not tired, should I stay up even less?

ChaosVII

PostPosted: Tue 09 Jun, 2009  Reply with quote

Last night when i went to sleep, i was trying to get my body relaxed.
So i counted
1... relax
2... relax and so on.

Within a few minutes i saw a bus driving away from me on a street that i recognized.
The image was only there for a split second. Seeing it got me very very excited and my heart began to race.

Was this the start of a true WILD? I know getting excited in an LD can end it
but if i didnt get excited, would i have been LDing?

This was the second or third time i tried this technique.

Mew151
Ebil Mew Idol
cookie lover
Scribes
Wolfgame
LD count: %d
Location: Universe............. Favorite Animal: Mew....... Nightmare count: 4

PostPosted: Sat 13 Jun, 2009  Reply with quote

Whenever I try WILD my eyes always open, unintentionally! sadblauw

Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
Yves
Frightened Butter
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jul, 2009  Reply with quote

I read somewhere that wearing an sleep-mask might help with that problem, Mew.

The other night I was trying to WILD and I had lain still for about 45 minutes when I got impatient and just decided to go to sleep. But as soon as I turned on my side and tried to go to sleep, I felt a massive blackness as a dream. So I tried opening my dream eyes and doing an RC, and I was actually dreaming. My question is, does changing position while trying to WILD hurt or help the process in most cases?

Current LD goal(s): Stabilize a dream and explore it.
Phoenix_ fire

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jul, 2009  Reply with quote

Last night I tried to WILD and I went into SP, I saw some white swirls on the black backround but didn't get any HH. Then, my eyes started moving back and forth really fast involentarily. I let this go on but it stopped after about a minute. Was it REM? Is this supposed to happen during WILD at all?

Phoenix_ fire

PostPosted: Sat 18 Jul, 2009  Reply with quote

nevermind, found the answer to my question.

Union7
Music Obsessed.
Lucid Initiate
LD count: A lot

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2009  Reply with quote

Quote:
I read somewhere that wearing an sleep-mask might help with that problem, Mew.

The other night I was trying to WILD and I had lain still for about 45 minutes when I got impatient and just decided to go to sleep. But as soon as I turned on my side and tried to go to sleep, I felt a massive blackness as a dream. So I tried opening my dream eyes and doing an RC, and I was actually dreaming. My question is, does changing position while trying to WILD hurt or help the process in most cases?

Hurt. Well, most of the time. I'm guessing you usually sleep on your side. You should try WILDing from there, you will reach dreaming faster ( as you saw). You wanting to roll over is because you are used to sleeping on your side, so your mind wants to make you comfortable enough that you won't move. That way the body can sleep. Also, the more times the mind tries to make the body sleep, the more desperate it gets, meaning that if you roll into a comfortable position after being uncomfortable for a while, the mind will try harder to make you sleep. BUT.. If you move after focusing all your energy into WILDing on your back, you'll screw yourself over, and have to start again on your side. Move from your back to your side before you reach a state where you feel you will be dreaming soon.

At least that's what works for me, but then again, I'm pretty weird.

Yves
Frightened Butter
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Wed 22 Jul, 2009  Reply with quote

Hm, interesting. I'll try it if MILD doesn't work out for me. I'm taking a break from WILD to try out some other methods to see if they fit me. Thanks for the response though.

Current LD goal(s): Stabilize a dream and explore it.

print