Sense of taste in dreams?

Hello,

I joined this board about a year ago but this is actually my first post ever.

My question has to do with sense of taste while dreaming. Yesterday I dreamed that I was drinking beer–two cans. I remember thinking to myself after I drank one of them, my God, this tastes like crap. When I tried the other, it had a very pleasant taste.

How common is it for people in dreams to have a sense of taste and other senses? I guess I’m referring in particular to both touch and smell. And if so, would this be any indication of a person’s ability to have lucid dreams?

1 Like

first of all, welcome :grin:

I hope this first post tastes (no pun intended :tongue:) for more :grin:

I think taste in dreams is the same like other senses in dreams, but usually the visual sense is the most prominent, so you usually remember your dreams as “movies”. Having said that, to have a dream where I actually eat (and taste) something is Quite rare. I have tasted stuff on purpose in lucid dreams though, and the sense of taste is present.

I also have eaten lots of icecream in my dreams with different flavours. Usually I don’t really rely on smelling or tasting senses because most of the time they are completely influenced by the one that interacts with them. For example, about the beer: the dream gave some kind of weird taste for that beer because it was expecting you to like it, but you didn’t, so the taste was remade according to your reaction to the first one.
I don’t know if touching or tasting have any real impact on lucidity, but it cannot be bad thing because this shows you have a strengthful sense of dream recall, and this is very important while trying to achieve LD’s.
As for me, I never felt the dreams like “movies”. For example, when I talk to a DC, I can clearly feel it’s warmth, it’s breath, it’s smell (sometimes), it’s heart beating slower or faster, just like IRL scenario.

Personally, I have felt quite a fw times taste in dreams - at times pleasent, and at times not. It doesn’t seem too common, but it exists for everyone, so it seems.

Food is great in my dreams… Haven’t eaten for ages though, but I was surprised how nice everything was…!

This makes me seriously wonder… how do inedible things taste? Like dirt, rock, acids, weird goo etc.

:wave: welcome to the forum

Sight, touch and hearing are all vivid in my dreams. The sense of taste and smell aren’t used as much … when I do taste something it is the same as real life though. :content:

I rarely eat things in my dreams. But i’ve had some tastey soda before. :happy: Yeah, taste works in dreams just like the other sensations. Wouldn’t It would be cool to make a new flavor of something?

Ah food in dreams. I’ve eaten so many things. I can always taste in my dreams whenever I choose to eat. Generally from my experience, real edible food tastes like the real stuff. Great in LD’s 'cause you can eat as much as you want. INDULGE. :happy:
As for eating other random stuff…
Grass tasted vegetable-like. Rocks taste… hmm… unique and bland.
Q’s cookies are amazing.
The taste of humans has varied. :devil: Some taste similar to hamburgers, some taste like steak, some have this salty meaty taste (kinda like bacon), and bruno tastes like salted almonds. :razz:
Blood has tasted like chocolate milk, water, salty water, real blood, and wine. Usually wine.

Oh, and rainbows taste like Skittles.

Ah :happy: I have felt lots of tastes in my dreams :tongue: The really fun thing with dreams is that things taste very similar to RL-food (at least for me) and the tastiest Ive eaten in dreams are cakes :tongue: theyre so deliscious :content:

And BTW, :welcome: Andy to ld4all (I know Im late :razz: )

The sense of taste and smell in dreams and lucid dreams are quite interesting to discuss, as they are not commonly noticed, if present at all. I have been aware of several food intolerances that I have for about a year now, and there are many types of food that I love, but cannot eat anymore, at least not without using special recipes. I can’t even eat regular pizza, hamburgers or cake like so many others take for granted, so I eat these kinds of foods in lucid dreams.

For me, sometimes, the sense of taste is not present until I focus on it and consciously will to feel it. But usually, I have quite a strong sense of taste in my lucid dreams, and the food might taste even better than in real life! I can’t remember eating anything in a non lucid dream, though.

Come to think of it, I have a lot of dreams where I get food, but only a few where I actually eat it. Out of those, the food is mostly bland. I can tell you not to mix chocolate milk and carbonated water though. XP

if you can imagine yourself tasting something right now, this is probably how strong your sense in a dream is

but i wonder if being in a dream and then “isolated” would cause you to be suggestible, so you taste more?

I still remember the blue leaves… Tasted like candy :tongue:
The only dream I ate… I also had some European Chocolate (way better than the crap we have here)

Yepp, still my favorite dream ever. The randomness of it was awesome… for 3/4 of it, I was an apple…

I’ve had it happen a few times…I only remember pleasant tastes though(somekind of berries/fruit and candies). Also pretty sure I experienced smells in dreams, though I can’t remember of any in particular.

I’ve had many dreams where I’ve eaten, usually when I’m hungry… and the food I’ve had tastes soooooo good. The only sense that I rarely have in dreams would be smell. I actually can’t recall any scents I’ve smelt in dreams. I’ll have to do that the next time I LD.

I think that’s fantastic, Luminous. Using LDs to experience and enjoy things that you can’t in real life.

I recently had a dream in which I was laying down on my stomach with 2 people on my sides and one in front of me (my cousins in real life). All were breathing on me (there was a reason for this that I do not recall now). Anyway, the one in front of me burps and I can smell it in the dream. It was so nasty I got up and nearly gagged. I think the dream ended at that point.

Mostly my dreams are limited to vision but this was a notable exception.

Just wanted to post this somewhere; I experienced heat tonight in a ND. It kinda burned like IRL and then faded away over about 15sec.

My sense of smell in dreams is… intermittent. If I remember a smell in a dream, it’s because it went with something else, like if I had a dream about the beach I’ll remember the smell of ocean salt.

Usually my dreams don’t have food in them at all. Last night, though, there was a banquet where the only things you could get were pizza and pie! The pizza literally tasted like cardboard with tomato sauce, but that caramel pie? There are no words. It was the best thing I’ve ever had. :cool: If only I could bake like that IRL!

As for LDs, I’ve never been stable in a LD long enough to taste anything. That’s something I’m going to have to try very soon.

Let’s see… at this date,I’ve tasted bread, soup, ice cream, chocolate, bark, various biscuits, and who knows what else :tongue: And some of them were so utterly delicious, I woke up with still the taste in mind. Amazing experiences indeed. :content: