First Steps to WILD part V (Basic WILD Q&A)

Ok, so I tried WILD in the afternoon for a bit, and I could sort of feel my body becoming numb, and I thought that SP was about to come, but it didn’t. I wanted to ask, how long does it take until you reach SP? Another thing is that I am too afraid to do WILD at night because I don’t want to go into SP and hallucinate freaky things, it just sounds really freaky to me, so I do it during the day when I am sort of tired, any tips on how to ignore my fears of SP?

I have these problems too, even if I use WBTB. I stay up for only 15 min though, but I still feel very awake and not tired, should I stay up even less?

Last night when i went to sleep, i was trying to get my body relaxed.
So i counted
1… relax
2… relax and so on.

Within a few minutes i saw a bus driving away from me on a street that i recognized.
The image was only there for a split second. Seeing it got me very very excited and my heart began to race.

Was this the start of a true WILD? I know getting excited in an LD can end it
but if i didnt get excited, would i have been LDing?

This was the second or third time i tried this technique.

Whenever I try WILD my eyes always open, unintentionally! :sad:

I read somewhere that wearing an sleep-mask might help with that problem, Mew.

The other night I was trying to WILD and I had lain still for about 45 minutes when I got impatient and just decided to go to sleep. But as soon as I turned on my side and tried to go to sleep, I felt a massive blackness as a dream. So I tried opening my dream eyes and doing an RC, and I was actually dreaming. My question is, does changing position while trying to WILD hurt or help the process in most cases?

Last night I tried to WILD and I went into SP, I saw some white swirls on the black backround but didn’t get any HH. Then, my eyes started moving back and forth really fast involentarily. I let this go on but it stopped after about a minute. Was it REM? Is this supposed to happen during WILD at all?

nevermind, found the answer to my question.

Hurt. Well, most of the time. I’m guessing you usually sleep on your side. You should try WILDing from there, you will reach dreaming faster ( as you saw). You wanting to roll over is because you are used to sleeping on your side, so your mind wants to make you comfortable enough that you won’t move. That way the body can sleep. Also, the more times the mind tries to make the body sleep, the more desperate it gets, meaning that if you roll into a comfortable position after being uncomfortable for a while, the mind will try harder to make you sleep. BUT… If you move after focusing all your energy into WILDing on your back, you’ll screw yourself over, and have to start again on your side. Move from your back to your side before you reach a state where you feel you will be dreaming soon.

At least that’s what works for me, but then again, I’m pretty weird. :tongue:

Hm, interesting. I’ll try it if MILD doesn’t work out for me. I’m taking a break from WILD to try out some other methods to see if they fit me. Thanks for the response though.

I’ve always wanted to master WILD, as many other LD’ers, I’m sure. :smile:

But these past days I’ve been so motivated I really want to get good at it now. I’ve had WILD’s in the past, but most of them were a bit unintentional, some after I had stopped trying. Most of them were actually through chaining. All of them, I think, sucked :lol: not at all stable and in many I could barely see. I found this interesting since I’ve heard so many people say WILD’s are usually more vivid and stable.

Anyway, my question: when I wake up in the morning what is best to do:
a) not move at all or as little as possible and try to WILD right away;
or
b) move a bit, open my eyes and see if I can make my mind more alert and then try to WILD?

The thing is sometimes I just lay there a long time and nothing happens (I probably move a little, swallow and do involuntary micro eye movements, maybe that’s why…) and sometimes I fall asleep.

I’m going to keep trying, even now that my classes started and I’ll get less sleep. I’m experimenting and trying to really see how it may work for me, but any feedback would be great :smile: who knows what little detail might help me! thanks (sry long post)

I think that answer depends a bit on how alert you are when you first wake up from a dream.

When I wake up from a dream I just try to assess the situation. If I’ve already slept for like 5-6 hours then usually I’ll just try. I’ve also tried to WILD during chaining with minimal movement, but often I just fall asleep again. I don’t really have to get up in order to WILD, but it helps if I at least makes sense of the situation. Like an internal monologue.

“Okay, I’m awake now. I’ve slept for a good while. Getting into a dream should be relatively easy now. I’m going to focus on [insert focus method here] and step into a lucid dream.”

That’s usually all the “alertness” I need.

I’ve also done WILD in conjunction with WBTB, but that usually only works if I’m very tired upon waking up. If I’m too fresh I can’t fall asleep. One advantage of NOT getting up is that you’ll already be in a comfortable position in which you can probably manage to not move etc.

PS: usually when I WILD, I screw up during the transition stage (i.e. trying to enter the dream too early or too late, or forgetting what I’m doing while I’m doing it). I’ve only successfully done it once (and, like you, that was after I stopped trying).

thanks for your reply, Svenshinhan :wink: I sort of do that too, look at how much I’ve slept or how awake I feel…

Another question though, has anyone tried autosuggestion to help WILD? This morning I tried repeating in my mind a few times “I will remain conscious while I enter my next dream”. I ended up having a WILD, but I don’t know if the autosuggestion actually helped :shy:

ive felt this before, i think it might have been an O.B.E., but it was nausiating :twirl:

it was like i was lying on a spinning circle for 30 minuets, i felt like i was about to puke after that :eek:

I’ve tried LD-ing lots of times, but only managed it once. I’ve tried out the techniques listed in the forum, but they haven’t worked. Any suggestions?

Hi Snow Jin. Try to be persistent and keep trying with the induction techniques that work well for you. I’m sure soon you’ll have your first real LD. If you’re starting LDing, it’s good to do reality check since it’s the easiest way and doesn’t require any skill. There’s a great article in the knowledge base, ‘‘How to Choose Your Technique’’, that explains the right techniques for different kind of sleepers.

Perhaps not directly a question or an answer, but I just had my second successful WILD of my life. I wrote the details in my Dream Journal

To summarize: I didn’t intend to WILD when it was about to happen, but I realized it was going to happen when I noticed a very strange sort of “progress bar” in my mind.

It said: “Preparing dream…” I was still somewhat aware at the time. I wondered what it meant, had a hunch, and then I got it. Then the mental progress bar changed.

“Transitioning…” And that’s when I felt my body tingling all over and after a while I had a feeling the time was right, and I got out of bed, and found myself in a dream. I realized this when I saw myself sleeping in my bed!

While trying to have a WILD, I always keep counting until images start to appear; but then my mind somehow goes back to my condition at that moment and pay more attention to the way I lie in the bed and such. What should I do?

Hi, Puce. Welcome :wave:

I recommend you practice a bit of meditation, it will really help you focus on the images and not let your mind wander. :smile:

Thanks for the recommendation. I was going to wake up this night to try it again, but I guess I didn’t.

Is there a meditation technique you would suggest or should I just try any?

I’m also kinda newish to meditation :tongue: you can simply focus on your breath, or one the blackness behind your eyelids. The important part is to notice when your mind drifts off and gets distracted and gently bring it back to your breathing (or whatever you are focusing on).

With a little practice you’ll notice you will be able to hold your focus a little longer without getting distracted and that when you do get distracted you will notice it much quicker. This makes it a lot easier to focus on WILD! :smile:

What I do is I meditate a few minutes every night, already in bed, before going to sleep.