Visualization Techniques

What is the best method of visualization? What I try is to first relax and then focus on any images I might already see in my mind’s eye. I’m wondering if it’s better to first concentrate on thinking of a certain image, and then going on from there until the images come by themselves? Also, is it better to focus specifically on visualizing, or is it better to meditate on real sensations in addition, as a means of relaxation to ease visualization?

Two things I know to help is visualizing a place you know well, and focussing not only on sight but also on other senses. But so far, my technique doesn’t seem to work well. I never get to the HI stage.

I’m also very interested in this, but haven’t gotten anything good…

The best results I’ve gotten was doing what you said. I try to meditate and be aware of any image that passes my mind. I almost SAW something once, but wasn’t really clear.

I actually just found this in EWLD:

but haven’t actually tried it :shy:

Interesting. I heard of this earlier toda on a meditation forum. I actually used to do this quite often, but neglected it lately. I actually used this more as a means of increase my visual memory than increasing my powers of actual visualization, and it was more a way of improving my drawing abilities. It never really occurred to me that it could also improve one’s faculty of imagination.

Cool. This is something you can do absolutely anywhere and at any time. Hell, I’m trying it on my screen right now while I type this.

I think that if you practise this long enough, you can prolong the imagery for many minutes, and the imagery will gradually morph into different forms. At least, I used to be able to do this, after seeing a movie, for example.

Use as many of your senses as possible. And use your FEELINGS. That will boost your results by probably a 1000%. Visualize how you will feel when you will be lucid.

The key is to try to experience , as closely as possible, the experience you will when you will actually have a lucid dream.

Also, relax completely before you start visualizing.

Learn how to do ‘energy work’. When you can easily stimulate your energetic body, you’ll be able to make your physical body feel like it’s been sleeping for hours in just a few short minutes.

Physical relaxation is what’s stopping people from WILD/OBE/whatever…

When your physical body is COMPLETELY relaxed, it just feels like you don’t really have a physical body and at this point at becomes quite easy to go where you please.

hope this helps

I actually was able to relax while trying to WILD to a point where I felt it wouldn’t matter if I fell asleep or not, in terms of rest.

Anyway, this visualization exercise is indeed something you can do anywhere. I just forget :neutral: I need more discipline. I tried it a few times in the bus, with trafic signs. Didn’t really work that well. understandable :shy:

EDIT: hm, now that I think of it… once I tried this, kinda, in the bus (boring 2h drive) I would close my eyes and cover them with my hands so my pupils would open then open quickly and look out the window for a couple seconds. then close them and cover them again. I could see the image for a good time after. at the time I just thought it was because my pupils were open so it was normal, burned in my retina, not in my mind… but now I remember… it stayed a pretty long time, considerable… and the background kept moving in my mind, so maybe it was in my mind! I should try this again.

:woo: Hey mattias,
I actually tried that closing your eyes and opening them again looking at an object, it actually worked! I saw my computer screen when I closed my eyes :content: to be sure that my eyes weren’t open I blocked my eyes with my hands it was still there :grin:
could you use this technique for lucid dreaming?

Since I have glow in the dark stars all over my room I could do this, and maybe get into a dream this way…

hey cool!

I imagine it would help with LD’ing. Increasing your visualization skills could really boost the vividness in your dreams. It could also help you create your own HI and simply watch it as you fall asleep. Don’t know about the stars in your room, but you could try it! it might help :wink: