Would you push the button?

I was thinking about a movie preview.
Here was the idea: A couple is asked to push a button. Push it, and they recieve a ton of money- enough to set them for life.
The catch? Someone, somewhere in the world, dies because they pushed the button.

So, I ask you, would you push the button?

No, I wouldnt, the reason is that I never risk someone standing me near dies :sad: money is just money and a human life is far more worth than money :wink:

SPOILER - Click to view

This sounds more like a thread of playground type, however I cant decide this :roll:

Too tragic for the playground. :sad:

That is a toughie, i think it would depend, a bit on who the person is, for instance if they’re a serial killer who does not benifit society in anyway and is going to die via electric chair in a week, i might push the button.

… It depends on my mood. :eek: Heh, just kidding.
Well, I don’t think I would push the button. I don’t think I could stand and watch somebody (Even a random guy out there) die becouse of me getting money. I mean, even if it’s a serial killer, the guy would get his punishment anyway (Hopefully). And the family; Oh god, just think of it! The family would surely hate one if you pushed the button.
Nope. If you want money, get a job or have a Lucid dream about it :content: or just pester your parents for pocket money :tongue:

No material thing is worth the death of human being, no matter the status or nature of that person. No, I would not push the button. And I would think extremely little of the person who would.

Lots of people would pull it.

I wouldn’t. Probably.
Matters the situation. If I would die without it then I would consider it. If I was as I am right now, I wouldn’t.

What?

So the question is, would I kill for money?
That actually is the question.

The answer is simple.No.
No one could persuade me to do that.

When I decide something, no one can change that :tongue:
I’m serious.
People know that.

Thats exactly how I am :sly:

When I keep to an opinion or something very hard, noone, I mean noone can make me change direction.

No. It’s tempting. But No.
I guess I’ll have to get the money in other way.

I wouldn’t push the button. Never.
Money isn’t worth a life and a stained conscience.

Imagine someone of your friends or family is sick and you really need the money to heal them… would you trust the universe that they will heal and don’t push the botton or you don’t take any risk and push the button to save them and kill someone else.

Phoeee…

I hate those questions. :tongue:

And if they still die, you killed an innocent for nothing.

I still wouldn’t press the button.

I’d figure out another way to get the money. I always do.
But it’s stupid.To kill a man you don’t know to heal someone you know.
That guy is also someone’s family.

I hate the fact that you have to pay a lot of money for the hospital.
If you don’t, screw you.That’s evil.

My question is, what if your family was about to die of poverty, either way, someone dies. Would you inadvertantly kill a stranger to let a family member live, or not and watch your family member die?

Don’t forget, this is as if YOU were in poverty.

Would you kill me and ruin my family’s lives to save your own?
Could you live knowing you forced someone to die for you?
Could your family live with having someone forcibly killed for them?
If the button appeared before you, would you push it for the money?

Can you watch someone die right before your eyes?

Most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in a while. Simply put, no. I would not. I would never. It’s money. Green pieces of paper. Nothing more.

It wouldn’t sound so ridiculous if you needed the money badly enough. But, all the same, exchanging any material thing for any life is not only selfish but immoral. Very immoral.

If there is a 1% chance of getting killed when you press the button:

I would look at the expected value. I rate winning, say, $200,000 dollars as (+200000). I rate dying as (-infinity) or negative infinity.

So, using my utility function or my ratings of the outcomes, there is an expected value of pushing the button at:

[limit a->negative infintiy] 0.99*(200000) + 0.01(a) which approaches negative infinity.

I would not push the button even once.

Hey, lazyastronomer, that’s now the Minotaur topic which disappeared without a trace.

Anyway, I would never press the button.
I actually don’t need money.

I’ve got everything I need…I REALLY don’t care about money.

Wahahahha! Push the button! :ebil: Money!!!

Just kidding. I would never do it because the man/woman you kill also has a familie. And imagine, if the person you’ll kill is someone you know, could you live with that? The thought that you killed someone… :help: