Would you push the button?

I still wouldn’t press the button.

I’d figure out another way to get the money. I always do.
But it’s stupid.To kill a man you don’t know to heal someone you know.
That guy is also someone’s family.

I hate the fact that you have to pay a lot of money for the hospital.
If you don’t, screw you.That’s evil.

My question is, what if your family was about to die of poverty, either way, someone dies. Would you inadvertantly kill a stranger to let a family member live, or not and watch your family member die?

Don’t forget, this is as if YOU were in poverty.

Would you kill me and ruin my family’s lives to save your own?
Could you live knowing you forced someone to die for you?
Could your family live with having someone forcibly killed for them?
If the button appeared before you, would you push it for the money?

Can you watch someone die right before your eyes?

Most ridiculous thing I’ve heard in a while. Simply put, no. I would not. I would never. It’s money. Green pieces of paper. Nothing more.

It wouldn’t sound so ridiculous if you needed the money badly enough. But, all the same, exchanging any material thing for any life is not only selfish but immoral. Very immoral.

If there is a 1% chance of getting killed when you press the button:

I would look at the expected value. I rate winning, say, $200,000 dollars as (+200000). I rate dying as (-infinity) or negative infinity.

So, using my utility function or my ratings of the outcomes, there is an expected value of pushing the button at:

[limit a->negative infintiy] 0.99*(200000) + 0.01(a) which approaches negative infinity.

I would not push the button even once.

Hey, lazyastronomer, that’s now the Minotaur topic which disappeared without a trace.

Anyway, I would never press the button.
I actually don’t need money.

I’ve got everything I need…I REALLY don’t care about money.

Wahahahha! Push the button! :ebil: Money!!!

Just kidding. I would never do it because the man/woman you kill also has a familie. And imagine, if the person you’ll kill is someone you know, could you live with that? The thought that you killed someone… :help:

Once again, if you were desperate.
You would want to.
As everyone is right now, of course not.
If you’re homeless in the middle of winter, there is a good chanced you would do it. VERY good chance.

As it is now, it is greed.
In that situation, it’s life or death for you.

But would you condemn someone else and their family to save yourself?
Could you live with the fact that you pushed the button?

Could you watch someone die right before your eyes, and know you killed them?

You say it’s enough money to set a couple for life…
Then I would push the button and use the money to save at least 2 people from death.
In fact, saving only 2 people isn’t even that expensive, mostly it’s only vacines and stuff that those people are lacking. Just give it all away and you can save way more people.

If you kept some money and spent it on luxury then you would feel guilty and greedy every time you looked at the item you bought (and make you remember how that 1 live wasn’t ‘used’ to its full potential to save others), so give it all away. I think you could live with that, 1 live… in exchange for countless others. However, you may never find out who had to be killed in order for that cos that would be devastating on your mind.

Who are we to decide who lives and who dies?

there’s no way i’d push the button. not even because someone i know might die, but because i wouldnt be able to live knowing i was responsible for someone else’s death.

I don’t think it would be fair to justify pressing the button because you’ll donate the money to save others’ lives, because I think you can’t decide something like that, I mean what if it was you who died because someone else decided to press the button? The point is someone else decided, so even if I agreed it’s worth sacrificing my own life to save many others’, it’s not fair for someone else to decide that

Well, many of you have been overlooking something. When the button is pushed, ONE (1) person dies, but, it is never specified WHO dies. So it could be you, it could be your couple, it could be a familiar or friend, anyone. And it is never specified that you may know who dies, it only says that someone dies, you know someone does, but not who or where. Neither does it specify how does the person die, or that such person and/or his/her family may or may not know that it was your fault.
Also, since it says that a couple is asked to push the button, there’s a chance that your partner might not agree with your decision, since both of you are asked to push it, not just one.
With that being said, I wouldn’t push the button, I am not Ok with the idea of killing someone. That’s what I would say ignoring the fact that I could die, so taking that in mind, whit more determination I would refuse.
But then, there may be those that would argue that since lots of people die all the time, everyday, at all moments, they would simply push the button since they couldn’t filter out who they killed. That is, if they understand that they could die and are willing to take that risk.
I guess that’s all I have to say for now.

I would never stoop to that low level of greed.

To end someone’s life to make your life more enjoyable is just wrong.

the only reason i would push the button is cause people are dieing everywhere in the world every minute, so it would kinda be like getting free money. People are always dieing so it wouldn’t be any different from normal anyway.

That’s nice.

So you wouldn’t mind if I just killed your parents?
You see, you don’t know who dies.

Not all people ‘‘die everywhere in the world every minute’’.
Who knows when you will die.Let say for two years. Just kidding :happy:

Let say for 60 years.And if I kill you right now, it’s not like getting free money at all.
You get the point?

Not at all :no: how free is the money if the one who dies by the button is YOU? Then youre never gonna live on the money. Think about it, is this button worth the risk of dying? Or losing someone you care a lot about?

What risk are you talking about?
This is not the minotaur topic…here someone 100% dies, there’s no chance of dying.