Musicstyle: Someone else came ahead of me.

Okey, so maybe I’m asking though questions here but I’ve been pondering about this for a long time, so if you have any comments or anything, I’d be very happy to hear them. I know the ld4all people are great, good hearted and open minded people, so this is my first choice in what forum to bring this topic up in.

So I’ve been making electronic music for a very long time. I started out making IDM type of electronic music under the alias Julius Androide, I’ve been releasing 1 CD on that alias, on a small local label. I’m finished with a second release now and I’m about to send it to the label. But when I was working on my second release, i had a urge to do something different and more “true” to me than what i was currently doing.

I’ve always been fascinated with dreams and escpesially nostalgia. and I wanted to purely express that through my music. I started thinking of creating a new alias with a new style that would be able to express just that.

the music that triggers a sentimentality in me is game-music. Mostly stuff from games like Unreal, Jazz Jackrabbit, Lotus 3, all the apogee games and such. I started working on that. I used to play alot of computer-games when i was little.

Later on, as i started searching around on the internet for current artist making electro music. I discovered an artist called “Danger”, Which i swear, makes EXACTLY the music that I want to make.

The first thing that pops into my mind is that this guy is instantly my current favorite artist. The second thing that pops into my mind is envy. I can’t help but feel that this guy came ahead of me. How am i gonna look when i make exactly the same music as him and claiming it to come from my own nostalgia? The worst thing is that I couldn’t just throw this style away, because doing a different style would be less “true” to me.

I’m trying to shake this thought off, by saying to myself that it isn’t that important to be original, but it really is to me. I want to create an identity, and find my own original expression.

Listen to my new music here:
www.myspace.com/2ndreality

Listen to Dangers music here:
www.myspace.com/2emedanger

hope you can answer to this complicated topic…
thanks in advance!

Aah! This Danger guy should have some kind of a warning about that flickery background of his… unless it’s the fault of my PC.

I can’t really say much about both of your musics as it’s not exactly my taste.

However if you like doing what you do, you shouldn’t worry about who’s done something similar before and just do it. If you do something you don’t like you’re just cheating yourself.

So… good luck! :content:

Hm well yeah, maybe i should… Lol

Maybe I’m afraid of people mistaking me for “stealing” his ideas…

well your songs cant be exactly like his, because you wrote them, and really, if you dont listen to his songs for ideas, youre not “stealing ideas”
Ever heard the saying “It doesnt matter what other people think. What matters is what you know”
And anyway, if they do complain, tell them you never heard of the guy

Well i do take some stuff from him in a way, but these are all 80’s style stuff that he’s taken from somewhere else.