EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 132
2020 Vision

Alex Grey- Artist

Author  Message 

Alex Grey- Artist
PostPosted: Thu 03 Dec, 2009  Reply with quote

Wow, I just did a search to see if there were any topics about Grey, and to my surprise there were none! I thought that there would be some interest in this artist around this forum. Anyway, go check him out...

http://alexgrey.com/

Particularly his Sacred Mirror paintings.

Direct link to the Flash Viewer of the Sacred Mirror Paintings

He's a little too new-agey for my taste (but in the interviews I've watched of him, he seems like an insightful and funny guy with some great opinions), but I love his paintings (though I sometimes wish he used a less psychedelic palette) and I'm hoping to go to his gallery this December.

His Sacred Mirror paintings are life size, and you are meant to stand in front of them... and according to his philosophy, the paintings help to tune your energy to the layer depicted in the painting. It's pretty interesting, and I'm excited to experience these paintings in person.

So check him out! I'll be sure to post some more artists that the community here might enjoy in the future.

Last edited by The Laughing Crow on Thu 03 Dec, 2009; edited 1 time in total
mattias
Globahead
Globahead
mattias has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

Very interesting ^^ some "spiritual" (or whatever) references I've seenbefore bu have no idea what they are

kek
Somniologist
Somniologist

Keep'em coming, the Laughing Crow. Be sure to tell us of the experience if you do go there siiw

A direct link for the Sacred Mirror flash navigator.

Will do, I'm glad you enjoy it.

Dazino
Present every moment
Astral Explorer
LD count: Often

Man, Alex gray is a fantastic artist. A lot of Tool videos were inspired by his art. His Cannabacchus and Cannabia paintings are very beautiful.

mattias
Globahead
Globahead

Dazino wrote:
Man, Alex gray is a fantastic artist. A lot of Tool videos were inspired by his art. His Cannabacchus and Cannabia paintings are very beautiful.

Ha! that was exactly what I was referring to ^^ so those images were created by this guy? I was under the impression they were older and more "general" (if that makes any sense) ....

EDIT: like from ancient texts or traditions, I mean.

btw, here's a link to the Parabola video by Tool, if anyone's interested. If not you can skip to the end where the influence of Gray's art is more evident. (worth watching the whole 10 minutes IMO grin )

Spec (gone)
Spiritual Researcher
Lucid Initiate

I love this artist. I used to have one of his paintings as a wallpaper.

That work wasn't "inspired" by him, he actually worked with tool for some of their performances, he did a lot of their cover art, and he worked with someone to do that ending to the video.

mattias
Globahead
Globahead

PostPosted: Fri 04 Dec, 2009  Reply with quote

The Laughing Crow wrote:
That work wasn't "inspired" by him, he actually worked with tool for some of their performances, he did a lot of their cover art, and he worked with someone to do that ending to the video.

XD oh... right shy2

kek
Somniologist
Somniologist

mattias... wrote:
here's a link to the Parabola video by Tool

Aesthetically mind-blowing!!! Can't say I like the music too much, though. I guess we could have a big parabola interpretation topic just to discuss what all those images bring to mind smile

Oh, and the last minutes are 100% salvia trip. I've been thinking of buying some salvia, but damn, that shit is strong!

Yeah, Alex Grey does a lot of hallucinogenic drugs for spiritual purposes... but I don't think I'm allowed to discuss that on the forum.

LD count: yes
Location: hare krishna hare krishna, krishna krishna hare hare! hare rama hare rama, rama rama hare hare!

"according to his philosophy, the paintings help to tune your energy to the layer depicted in the painting. "

they do,

i'd like to go see his giant art gallery center in NY in nature,

LD count: yes
Location: hare krishna hare krishna, krishna krishna hare hare! hare rama hare rama, rama rama hare hare!

PostPosted: Sat 05 Dec, 2009  Reply with quote

pppst

see, didyou, anyone, the parabola video circa 2001-2002 lateralus tour, at the concert ? it was very different,

i remember it clearly,

we could certainly interpret parabola video here if we want to, i've my opinions !

kek
Somniologist
Somniologist

Presence of Light wrote:
we could certainly interpret parabola video here if we want to, i've my opinions !

All right, I'd give it a shot or two also, although it's a bit too abstract for me... Should we do it here or is this starting to go off-topic?

mattias
Globahead
Globahead

tukkek wrote:
Presence of Light wrote:

All right, I'd give it a shot or two also, although it's a bit too abstract for me... Should we do it here or is this starting to go off-topic?

I'd love this too, since I've been searching the internet for interpretations and haven't been successful... but I would say it would be off-topic here.

And I'm curious what other artists laughing crow has up her sleeve! ^^

print