How to stop my lucid dreams

I am a natural lucid dreamer. Since at a very young age, my last memory of such an ability is when I was 3+ years old.

But it is also “tormenting” me…I dream a lot…if I can quantify, it would be like 99% of my sleep gives me a dream. And each time in the dream, I am so conscious, so in control that when I wake up, I feel extremely tired and sometimes very affected if it is a bad dream. In almost every dream, I can always remind myself that I am dreaming…and if there are important things or lessons to remember in the dream, I always remind myself in the dream to remember it. And if it is a nightmare, I almost every time can tell myself to wake up. And if I am not satisfied with the dream, I can alter it. There are many times in my dreams when I am troubled in the day with school and work issues, I am able to solve them in my dreams.

As a result, each time after waking up from a dream, I feel very tired and almost as if I had not slept or rested.

Is there anyway that I can stop if not reduce lucid dreams? I need to rest, really rest after all these years. I only came to know about Lucid Dreams recently after I shared with a friend that I feel very tired, i slept little and dreamt a lot. Yet I am not willing to see a psychiatrist or a relevent doc in this area.

If someone knows the answer, pls let me know. Thanks :cry:

Easy. Next time you dream, just collapse the whole thing and remain in the black void of dreamless sleep.

And FYI: It would be great for you to take up meditation practice.

Good luck.

Just remember two simple facts:
Your body is resting, whatever you may do in your dreams, and as such, there’s no reason for the body to feel tired if you did anything particular during sleep.

Next, everyone has dreams, ranging from tranquil, peaceful scenes, to hour-long adventures with epic battles, to nightmares, yet everyone wakes up refreshed after a night of sleep, regardlessy. Moreover, it is shown in multiple researches that lucid dreams show no difference in brain activity from non-lucid ones, the only real difference is the fact that you actively know you’re dreaming.

The reason IMHO might be in the fact you are thinking you are straining your brain by being active so many more hours a day, but trust me, it’s the same for everyone, they just don’t recall it completely in the morning.

Just learn to take it relaxed, letting things pass if you want, and enjoy the dream as the peaceful and pleasureable expereince that you might make one into. Take it easy, and go enjoy a sunset on a beach or something, learn to find peace in your mind and enjoy the simple moment, I’m sure these problems will be no more, and very soon :smile:

congratulations!

it’s just that you don’t remember the other phases of sleep. in fact, you can’t dream more than 50 % of the night, and remember even less.

i cant see a problem. lucid dreaming is not “unhealthy”, your rem-phases are not less relaxing when you are concious. of course, when you expect that you will wake up tired, you will wake up tired. self-fulfilling prophesis.

very good, so, when you have a bad dream you can stand up against your fears, talk to them, or just fly away. still don’t get why you don’t like lucid dreaming, it’s the best thing when you dream badly!

it’s definitely not the result of dreaming lucid. it’s the result of not wanting to dream lucid.

i just can give you the advice to permit it, just let it happen.

ps: as long as you are not overtired the whole day, there can’t be a serious sleep disorder. in the morning, when you wake up, you are not able to measure the quality of your sleep. so you can be tired but yet relaxed.

maybe it’s also that you sleep too short or too long, 7 hours would be perfect.

good luck and PLEAS DON’T follow spec’s advice, fighting against your dreams would be the wrong thing.

People:

Lucid Dreaming DOES consume energy, like everything else we do in life. You are not listening to her. She doesn’t want to dream anything(!). She wants to rest free of imaginings.

I’m not saying that she should fight her dreams, but to END them with her will.

If you want to help somebody, LISTEN first.

May she get what she wants.

Try some reverse-MILD, “I will not have a dream tonight”.

I’m sorry, but that will only make you think of dreaming. Don’t think of a pink elephant, right? SC thoughts ignore negatives.
Plus, it’s just better to act within the dream itself, where it should be all more intuitive.

But aren’t dreams crucial and necessary? :eh:

why do you think lucid dreaming would consume energy? what kind of energy? “awakeness”? that’s a very unscientific point of view.
and you listen to what i said before telling people to “end” their dreams. please read my post again:

you in contrast tell her to stop her dreams. just because she THINKS dreaming was bad for her, that must not be true. some people think they needed only 4 hours sleep per day. thats also untrue.

besides, she wanted not to become lucid. when your are lucid and then make your dream collapse and stay in the void, you are still dreaming. and lucid. and it’s boring. no effect.

about the reverse-MILD thing, i agree to WASD. that SD would ignore negatives is not universally applicable but in this case, its true.

Personally I tend to wake up MORE refreshed after a Lucid dream, than others;
I wonder if it may be possible that the OP is in fact having more REM states, and less Deep Sleep, which is the better time for the body to take care of many of it’s self-healing processes.

I would think a sleep-study would help illuminate a lot about this, but would require Doctoral intervention…

As for energy… living takes energy, and energy is always moving from one state to another, one sytem or another; Some people have lesser sleep needs than others and remain energetic throughout the day, and that feeling of “my energy level” is often as much impacted by Diet, Activity-Level, and Mood as by Sleep.

It has been shown to be detrimental to be completely deprived of REM sleep, but I don’t know if anything has been determined as to quantity or ‘too much’ …

If you sleep little, because of Insomnia, there are some techniques to help overcome insomnia and sleep more, which may help

If other factors prevent you from getting a lot of sleep, perhaps you can work on arranging things to allow for more sleep; And it doesn’t necessarily have to be at the same time, perhaps a scheduled nap elsewhere in your daily routine.

Nightmares: These alone might be a source of the issue; There are many techniques on handling Nightmares in various ways that may turn the dream around, and result in less stress and ‘draining emotions’

A tricky ideal, to be sure. Perhaps you can ask a Dream Character to find your Deep Sleep button in a dream, so that when you need more deep and undisturbed sleep you can press it and fall into a dreamless slumber.

I also think Meditation would be a great practice to get into, irregardless of the number of other influencing factors that haven’t been brought up.

In addition, and along the lines of Meditation, would be Guided Visualization;
Perhaps spend 15 minutes sitting up in bed before laying down to try and sleep running over this (or something of your own choosing, of course):

[LD]I’m running through the forest, when I see Moonlight filtering in through the darkness. I slow down, and hear the sound of running water. Following the sound, I come across a small moonlit meadow, and there next to the water I see a sleeping body; It’s Me! I notice a pillow a foot away from my sleeping self, and picking it up, I resettle it underneath my sleeping head. Sitting down, I watch as the pillow has helped my sleeping body rest a little more. Feeling safe and comfortable now, I listen idly as the water runs by, and notice my sleeping body is breathing deeper and easier. I raise my hands over my sleeping body, and imagine a healing light and energy surrounding coming up from my heart, and surrounding both my awareness and my sleeping body. Lowering my arms, I smile at the protective bubble that now surrounds my sleeping body, and I lay down as well to rest.[/LD]

I see what the OP must be getting at. Since she’s a natural, she’s had a plethora of LDs. Most of us can’t relate to that. As they say, too much of anything is bad. I suppose the same COULD apply to LDs. I would suggest that you might wanna take a break from LDs, and not quit cold turkey. LDs are great for spritual enlightenment, also it’s fun to fly ^_^. LDing does NOT take energy, though I can’t speak for myself. Since you wake yourself up, that might disrupt your sleep, making you tired.

If you’re sure you want to stop, just don’t think about Lucid Dreaming or having one. Just think to yourself “I’m going to go to sleep, and I will have no knowledge that I am dreaming.” Or something shorter :razz:

in a LD try meditating, or going to sleep…i donno.

This is what I think-
Normally, every time you have an LD you’re supposed to be happy and relaxed and not tired. As someone said earlier, studies have shown that brain activities stays the same during a normal dream and an LD.
Now if you are feeling tired after sleeping, especially after LDs, then either

1. you’re not getting enough sleep
    2.you’re regularly over exerting yourself during the day
    3.you have a sleep disorder

If I were you, I would actually go see a doctor, or you can try this
doctorslounge.com/
where you can ask a doctor about whats bothering you

Anyway, I forgot to mention before: your main issue would be making your dreams not lucid for a while, but I’m afraid it isn’t possible after a certain point, where you have become too critical of the surroundings, too used to the feeling of being in a dream not to notice. In this sense, IMO it isn’t possible to stop having Lucid Dreams.

But even so, there’s always the possibility to relax the mind, even in a LD, just sit there and relax (if you take a look at Writrerscube’s DJ, he always has LD’s, very much like you, and spends a lot of the time stitting, eating and sipping tea), or you can do blank meditation, or you can end it all, collapse the dream and go into deeper, dreamless sleep, as Speculator proposed.

How much do you sleep?

Anyway…if you really want to stop it…
You could either

1. just stop and relax in your dream.Seriously.You could just lie down on the ground and do nothing.Also try to fall asleep in the dream.That could be helpful.

2)collapse everything like someone said before.But maybe that would wake you up.

1. Try to turn your LD into a ND.

seems like undermined was no longer interested in a solution, since she wasn’t on anymore. a pity, i would have been interested in how the story goes on…

Wow, that sounds special.

I would love to hear any pieces of your experience that you feel like sharing.

I guess I have just a few ideas…

a. Meditate

b. program yourself for a different life style (sleep style…) . Really, repeatedly visualize and say to yourself how you want it to be. It’s important that you have a very clear image (not necessarily visual) but an emotional understanding of what you WANT to experience. If you don’t know, imagine what it would be like if you did experience the things that you want to. And don’t expect it to go away after a few minutes. You have to really show your mind what you want… Lie down for an hour, and just dictate (emotionally) what you want. Feel it out. Experiment, and generally do your absolute to enjoy things as they are in any case .

And really, meditate. I really can’t even begin to explain how much of a panacea meditation is.

hope this helps,
Ariel

P.S. - Aside from satisfying my thirst to hear about your unique experiences, I think that the more specific you can get, the more other people, including myself will have an accurate and detailed understanding of what you’re going through. As much as possible…

Take care

I think I can sort of understand you! Even if I usually like lucid dreams (I’m a natural too, and I have them a lot, but not that much as you!), I’m often too lazy to control them, even if I could :neutral: It certainly would make me mentally exhausted too, if I would always grab the chance and control the whole dream-universe and whatnot… but when I feel too tired to control my dreams at all, I simply don’t do anything special and just let the dream flow - even if it was a nightmare, at least it’s not that scary when you know that it’s a dream. When I just ignore the “lucidness” the dream might even turn into something that I call “half-lucid” - a dream where I on some level know that it’s a dream, but mostly just forget it.