Strong Pain in Dreams

Although it’s rare, I’ve had a few dreams (normal, not lucid) where I have felt pain. Usually it’s a small pain, like a pinch or scratch. Even if I’m stabbed with a sword or shot with a gun, it just feels like someone poking me hard, but not too painful.

Warning: I put this next part in a spoiler, because it describes a violent dream I had. I don’t want to give anyone nightmares now :tongue:

[spoiler]
Last night I had a dream though where I was shot twice. The first time through my torso, but missing all vital organs, didn’t hurt much. The second was a head shot from behind. I fell to the ground with a SEARING pain, in the back where the bullet entered, in my forehead where it exited, and through the path in between. That didn’t end the dream though, nor did I die. The bullet did only very minor damage to my brain, because it went directly down the center of the brain (aka, BETWEEN the two sides). Besides, I’m too stubborn to be killed so easily. I had a mission to complete! My vision blurred and I saw blood pouring down my face and all that fun stuff. Until the dream actually ended and I woke up (several minutes dream time), I felt that extreme pain. [/spoiler]

Summary for those who don’t want to read the violent bit: I felt a searing pain for several minutes, to the point that if it were reality, and I hadn’t had such a stubborn reason to stay conscious, I probably would have at least passed out from the pain.

So I’m wondering if anyone else has had this kind of pain before in dream. I always believed that you couldn’t feel pain in dreams, but I also believed your mind could manifest almost any feeling (including pain). I thought the pain though would be only small, and easy to bare, because I don’t believe in dieing from a dream (at least not one manifested by yourself).

I’ve had incredible pain in dreams before, though most are bearable, some are absolutely intolerable… I wonder what chemical reactions go on to cause this

Oh, forgot to mention 1 thing of interest.

Normally I don’t remember strong pains IRL, I can only remember the fact that it hurt, but not the pain itself. But this dream I remember the pain vividly. :confused:hrug I guess memory works different for dreams than IRL events.

I have never felt pain that bad in a dream before. The worst I ever felt was the feeling os being punched in the face. And I didn’t feel any pain after, like you would if you were punched IRL.

Once again I’m making my own terminology.

Was the pain “high-pitched” like a stinging sensation?

Or “low-pitched” like a deep blow?

I haven’t had such intolerable pain. When I get shot in dreams it barely hurts but the other night I had some kind of staple on my toe and that hurt like crazy! :eek: (it was a “high-pitched” pain :wink: ) The only pain I can remember from dreams are like that, “little things” that hurt a lot. I’m not eager to feel the pain of something like in your dream though… :bored:

I had a dream once where someone was squeezing my testicles, really hard :bored: . It hurt so much i woke up and i could still feel a sort of echo of the pain.
After i woke i even checked my goods to see if everything was allright, cause it felt so lifelike in my dream.

I recentely got ran over by a horse (In a dream :grin: . I had been fighting against these enemys with swords, this very heavy and armoured horse charged at me, I managed to stab it and kill it, but it carried on going and knocked me down. The pain was unbelievable, my back had broken and it was exceedingly painful, just a massive strain feeling and I was lying there almost dead. I did wake up, but made me think of the ‘pinch’ myth, for recognising if you’re dreaming. It’s total nonsense really, since the pain in dreams can be just as severe as real life.

well I don’t know, I used the pinch trick several times as a reality check and it worked. But I remember having a dream in which I had very long and thin pieces of glass piercing my legs…and the pain was just like in RL !! It was very horrible to feel such pain ! Hopefully it does not happen a lot of times :happy:

Last night I had an extremly vivid dream and I started cut my self with a knife, it felt so painful!