How To Lay

Author  Message 
flagstone149
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: Three

How To Lay
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2010  Reply with quote

I was wondering if your posture in bed has any effect whatsoever on dreaming. It seems going to sleep on my back makes it easier to relax my appendages but then I don't actually sleep well on my back.

Is there a consensus?

Low
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: Maybe 1 :D

I think it only depends on what you like, so try all positions, and find out whan you like best wink

Drahcir
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

I think there are positions that have a positive effect on dreaming, though I do not know them (I can only sleep on my side anyway).
Buddhist monks know various positions in which to meditate, each giving different results, that might very well be the case for sleeping anyway.

Sleeping on your back is sad to stimulate you pineal gland, resulting in more visual dreams. Though it is also sad that Low cannot sleep in this position wink5

LDLax
^ he's hawt!
Somniologist
LDLax has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 9

I have trouble falling asleep on my back, but I can knock myself out on my side easily.

WASD
Psychonaut
Dream Deity
WASD has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

I heard laying in your back is good. But I sleep on my sides 9/10 times since i find it more comfortable.
I've had one OBE and that was while laying on my back... And researchers believe the pineal gland is used in AP/OBE so it may be possible that the pineal gland stimulates while laying in the back as Drahcir said.

Lord Antares
Limitless
cookie lover
Lord Antares has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2010  Reply with quote

I think some people who see this topic for the first time might misinterpret the meaning of its title biggrin

Drahcir
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Lord Antares wrote:
I think some people who see this topic for the first time might misinterpret the meaning of its title biggrin

tounge1

d3struct
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: i LD at will

well i can sleep facin up but i feel like ima be choked lol
sleepin down for me is better

tosxyChor
Dream Winged Zen Pony
cookie lover
tosxyChor has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: d(LD)/dt>0

If I got it right, sleeping on your back gives lighter sleep, and more vivid dreams.
As for sleeping on your side, there are two sides to choose from and I experimented with both. What I found out (part of the results are in my DJ) is, lucidity is easier obtained while sleeping on the right side, but on the left side I have longer, more vivid, more interesting and more easily recalled dreams. So I just go left-side at the start and then go for right-side in WBTB.
There's also the prone position but i mitigate it by putting the pillow under the side I'm facing, so it's almost like sleeping on one side.

Current LD goal(s): Healing
Drahcir
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

I going to write down the position I woke in my dream diary from now on. Though I can't really decide myself how to lay, my cat that sleeps on my bed forces me in all kinds of yoga positions. Also I keep turning the whole night.

I heard that the cardinal direction (N, E, S, W) your facing also matters.

flagstone149
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: Three

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan, 2010  Reply with quote

Lord Antares wrote:

Hope I spelled it correctly. I wouldn't want to pervert the minds of my fellow dreamers. whistle

Now I only take the time to fall asleep on my back practicing WBTB. I've noticed while on my back, keeping absolutely still for a few minutes, and keeping the mind focused, the body begins to slightly tingle. The space around me seems to grow larger. Am I just imagining this? Maybe the activation of the pineal gland?

Lucid76092
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jan, 2010  Reply with quote

LDLax wrote:
I have trouble falling asleep on my back, but I can knock myself out on my side easily.

Yeah, same here, but I also feel like I can stay more conscious on my back, and on my sides I feel like my imagination takes over.

kek
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jan, 2010  Reply with quote

I vaguely remember a research which tried to associate better success with LDs and sleeping in a certain position relative to your "open" nostril (that is, the one you breath better with when you go to sleep).

Yeah, I know it doesn't help much, curse my memory - but hey, it's on-topic siiw

Lidybug
Dakini
Astral Explorer
Lidybug has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: More then 20

PostPosted: Tue 12 Jan, 2010  Reply with quote

tosxyChor wrote:
If I got it right, sleeping on your back gives lighter sleep, and more vivid dreams.
As for sleeping on your side, there are two sides to choose from and I experimented with both. What I found out (part of the results are in my DJ) is, lucidity is easier obtained while sleeping on the right side, but on the left side I have longer, more vivid, more interesting and more easily recalled dreams. So I just go left-side at the start and then go for right-side in WBTB.
There's also the prone position but i mitigate it by putting the pillow under the side I'm facing, so it's almost like sleeping on one side.

The tibetan yogas of dream and sleep say that there are 3 channels that run from the top of your head and join about 4 inches below your belly button, through which Prana (the energy of all existence of all life) flows through your body the right side is Red= wisdom & positive energy, in your center is Blue= non duality, energy of primordial awareness, and finally on your left White= negative energy. Sleeping on your left side for women allows for better flow of of wisdom and positive energies by allowing the channel to be fully open while putting preasure on the white=negative energy, which results in LD's. For men the location of the channels are opposite so they should sleep on their right side.

Jayme
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: I've had 0 ):

PostPosted: Wed 13 Jan, 2010  Reply with quote

Lucid76092 wrote:
LDLax wrote:

Yeah, same here, but I also feel like I can stay more conscious on my back, and on my sides I feel like my imagination takes over.

I'm like this too..that's why for me doing WILD on my back is easy. But I never end up LD'ing.

print