Insomnia

Author  Message 
chris4268
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 0.1

Insomnia
PostPosted: Tue 05 Jan, 2010  Reply with quote

Ok, so here's the thing; acheiving a lucid dream for the first time to me is one things that I could die for, and that's the problem. Every time I go to bed telling myself that I'm gonna have a lucid dream I get excited and won't even fall asleep! But only when I WANT to have a LD. Other times where just go to bed not thinking about anything, I fall asleep in like 20 minutes. But, again, thinking of LDing while trying to go to sleep keeps me up for the rest of the night. Is there any way that I try to have a LD a d not stay awake for the rest of the night if I fail?

Lucid76092
Somniologist
Somniologist

I had a similar problem too. But mine wasn't as severe. I was trying really hard to have a LD, when all I needed to do was relax, and realize that I was going to have an LD anyway.

Also drink warm milk if you need a sleeping aid.

chris4268
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Well that's gonna be pretty hard to "just relax" but I'll give it a shot anyways. Also, how do I know if I'm trying too hard?

Strawberry Milkshake
*insert clever title*
Novice dreamer

try taking melitonin, you can take it like as a vitamin supplement. i take it, after the fist week or so i notice that my urge to go to sleep was alot higher than usual. plus it might help to do a relaxation exercise or something before you go to bed neutral

d3struct
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: i LD at will

all these relaxations and things link to meditation

being calm and relaxed - meditation research it apply it
and then try ld...again

u should be able to handle ur exitement
just think of it like why am i gettin exited,,,

i do this all the time , so no need , its my usuall routine

Drahcir
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Try to set your intend and desire for lucid dreaming during the day for some time. Do not think of it before going to bed however. Your intend will slowly seep into your subconscious.
Or wake your self after 6 hours of sleep, just inside your REM-period, do not get out of bed like WBTB but just try to go to sleep again thinking of lucid dreaming. It might be a lot easier to sleep if you have just awoken.

chris4268
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Wed 06 Jan, 2010  Reply with quote

Argh, insomnia wins again... drinking a glass of warm milk felt like it was helping for a couple of minutes. I need help to relax, telling myself "just relax" isn't enough for me meh And I highly doubt I can get my hands on some melitonin without anyone getting suspicous. I've yet to try what Drahcir qnd d3struc said but I'll give it a shot. I'm also wondering, I rarely leave my iPod it's with me 90% of the time. Is there anything sound or music related that can help acheive a LD? Cause I was thinking that playing a couple of Moby songs might help...

d3struct
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: i LD at will

play sound meditation or pink noise
a smooth sound of the earth or woods or some thing

low low volume which can help u sleep
or ld , if u have ur intentions focused

i think first b4 LD u need to know how to sleep or fall asleep
and then we can move on LD

chris4268
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Ok. I just downloaded a couple of those sounds. Wish me luck

Drahcir
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jan, 2010  Reply with quote

You can also check out artist like David Parsons, he (for example) makes really nice meditative music with quality. I use it myself for getting to sleep.
Usually if you buy (or download smile) a cd marked "Meditative colourful rainbow journeys" or something you hear they're made without a "soul".

(My mother bought a meditative cd called thunderstorm to get to sleep for €1,50. You do indeed hear a storm coming, rain falling slowly getting louder, then as you drift a sleep after about 45 minutes you hear (very loud) a sound I can only describe as the call of a female elk wanting to mate. Waking you instantly)

And I wish you luck.

Lord Antares
Limitless
cookie lover
Lord Antares has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes

When I want to fall asleep instantly, here's what I do:

I just choose the position, close my eyes...and I just relax...my muscles relax...
I just tell myself (in my head) that I'm relaxed, that I'm falling asleep, my brain is relaxing...

Well, then I breathe in and out and also say in my head ''breathe in...and out...in...and out...in...out...in...out'' and I fall asleep in less than a minute.

But you probably won't get a lucid dream like that, so skip the last part shy2

Anyways, it's self hypnosis...just repeat that you are relaxed, that you are falling asleep...you will just feel more relaxed, you will feel like you are sinking...
Do it with a nice, soothing voice.
It always works for me.

chris4268
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Ok just woke up right now... and I still can't sleep. Music therapy just makes me more awake since I jsut start thinkng waay to much of how the song was made. Argh... sleepng is becoming next to impossible for me meh But on the bright side, I managed to remember a fairly long dream. And thanks for sharing that Antares. I'll give it a shot tonight wink5

Drahcir
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Waking up requires sleeping wink5

While listening to the music relax your body and keep fixating on one simple thought, the letter A for example. If another thought pops to your mind do not fight it but also do not "identify" yourself with it, just tell it to go away. If it is an important thought tell it you'll spend time with it later.

Don get stressed over not being able to sleep, it makes you sleep worse. Just let it be for what it is.

mattias
Globahead
Globahead
mattias has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2010  Reply with quote

If you roll around a lot that makes you take longer to sleep. What I usually do when I'm having a hard time falling asleep is I find a comfortable position and stick to it as long as I can. I only roll over after a long time and when I really really feel like I have to. Then I do it slooooowly and gently. You can see how after a while in the same position (relaxed, of course) can make you feel closer to sleep. Well, in my experience at least. It's just like WILD, if you move you kinda snap out of it and the process resets.

Drahcir
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jan, 2010  Reply with quote

Thanks Mattias, that's a good tip for me too.

print