First Steps to WILD part V (Basic WILD Q&A)

So… when the dream scene forms do you see it in your head or is it like you are there? Is it like you feel like you just get up and then your in a dream? I’m a bit confused with this part. Help would be greatly appreciated.

I’d say the same thing - you definitely should remain passive, just let the images come. But if the images are dull or disturbing or something, maybe you can start with thinking about about some pleasant images, and then fall into passivity?
I used to start with thinking about some nice views from dreams that I’d had, and then when I became passive, the images continued to be flashbacks from my earlier dreams, until I found myself in a landscape where I could walk around and look at things, totally lucid… but it never felt very real, and all I could do was walking around… so I don’t do WILD-like things anymore :neutral:
And btw, for me the feeling of spinning around is something that usually comes before I fall asleep.

I think this belongs in the WILD category, but I’m new and I didn’t enter the state with purposeful intention. Basically, the LD I had the other night seemed to induce itself at about 8-9 in the morning, through a hypnogogic state without me attempting to WBTB or try to induce as I was falling asleep.

I’d gone to sleep the night before a little drunk at around 2-3am. I had about 2 or 3 dreams during the night until at about 8 o’clock or so (working back from the time I finally awoke at 9), without waking beforehand, I became aware that I was in a liminal state, with consciousness drifting between waking and dreaming. At first I tried to manifest a dream world (an Old West town square. No idea why!). It felt like my brain was tuning into a frequency, like a radio, and that this world existed outside my head and just had to be synched up with it. This is kind of hard to describe, but I could feel my consciousness tumbling and spinning through my head in loops and arcs as the dreamstate deepened.

The next thing I knew, my consciousness is properly split between waking and dreaming. The physical world was definitely present, but everything physical about it was shadowed out. I could feel/see myself lying in bed, but my body was “coated” in shadow. The other half was a dream bedroom with a twisting and zooming animation of multicoloured pixel-art explosions projected onto a wardrobe. By focusing on this projection I would get pulled further into it and further into the dream, but if I at all focused on my body then I would get pulled in that direction (this also happened if I tried to reality check with my hand. I would get confused as my body tried to move and I would get pulled to the physical). If I engaged physically I swung towards waking. If I engaged visually, I swung toward dreaming. It took a little bit of practice to solidify the dreamworld and really pass out of waking.

Does this chime with anyone else?

Hey, I haven’t been into lucid dreaming for a while and decided to start with a WILD because those are in generally easiest for me. However, one thing that I’ve always wondered is, How long does the HI generally last?

My greatest problem has been drifting off into sleep and then missing out on my opportunity to LD. I can generally recognize what is a Hypnagogic Hallucination or not, but I tend to drift off to sleep or get distracted and “wake up” before I can start dreaming.

Last night I tries wild again and had a new experience. I was laying in bed with a blanket overt head so just in case I opened my eyes I wouldn’t see demons in my room :happy: and laying their very quiet and relaxed I saw some flashed then I started seeing a strange plaque with gems and strange writing on it. This was pretty vivid I started to see full scenes of this video game I played like all day. It was in 3rd person and started to get more vivid it started to feel as if my eyes were wide open but they were completely closed. It felt like I was in a open space but in reality I was under a blanket. It got more vivid but then for no reason I through my hands in the air and took me out of this state. So I think I got pretty close next time I will so it with WBTB and I will definately be able to make it into my dream. I’ve gotten pretty close a couple times but can’t get into the dream, what are some techniques I can use to get into the dream.

I know it’s a WILDish topic, but I want to ask about DEILD(it like his brother).
What do I basicly need to do in DEILD, just don’t move/open eyes and such?

Zacrifice-

For me, I just focused purely on the visuals and got drawn more and more into them. All movement was done with my mind, like controlling a videogame with my thoughts. Once that was solid enough, the dream sort of let me into my dreambody, as if I first had to realise the distinction between them both before I was allowed out to play. Wasn’t able to keep the dream longer than a few minutes because it was so new and exciting, but when it was fading, it was focusing on the visuals that would pull it all back again.

Usually when I try to wild mind wanders and I start thinking about things daydreaming etc. Is this ok? Or should I focus on one thing counting,breathing etc.
Thanks

In my experience (although I definitely don’t know if it’s right) both usually help me. The daydreaming gets me to stop focusing so much on my body, because I think I focus so much that I unconsciously tense up and respond to twitching. For some reason I’m pretty sure that my body knows my mind is awake at those times, so I try not to focus on it too much.

Counting my breaths have gotten some weird responses from me as well (like tingling and heavy breathing), although it hasn’t worked for me yet.

Im my opinion, its okay as long as it doesnt get out of hand. Every now and then, do a “status report” of how far you’ve progressed in WILD. It serves 2 purposes: to keep you aware, and to see how far you’ve gotten in the techique.

Oh, and I dont know if this applies to everyone, but I found out doing a single, repetitive task puts me to sleep even faster than I normally would. Instead, I withdraw from everything that I observe happening and act as a spectator. For example, I might comment to myself on the HI, or i might wonder why my breathing speeded up, ect. Scince what youre observing is constantly changing, what better way to keep aware than to passively observe it?

Assuming you correctly carry out WILD, about how long does it take?

Hi, when I WiLD, I usually avoid repetitive tasks cause they put me to bed really quickly. I usually stay awake by commenting to myself on the HI or state and progress of my WILD. Is this ok, cause I usually dont spent much time looking at the HI.

sorry, I just realized that ive posted 4 times now in a row. sorry.

You can use the edit button to edit your second message into your first one instead of double posting =]

I just tried WILD for the 2nd time now. I’ve been out with some friends yesterday, and only slept like 5 hours (actually, we all went to bed about when the sun started rising outside! :razz:)

Anyway, I was pretty tired and decided to take a nap (especially after reading that that’s ideal for WILDing). So I laid down, relaxed and started counting. Soon I had that feeling of being on a giant swing rather than in my bed.
The HI wasn’t very special most of the time, just your average whirling colors. Then suddenly a dark, foggy picture of a man standing next to a concrete column showed up. It lasted only fragments of a second, but it was so vivid it was hard to tell if that image was in front of my “inner” eye or my actual eyes.
There was a phase of nothingness and colors again, and then: Again, a dark, foggy scene. I think I saw firefighters (would make sense, considering how much smoke there was). A bit later, another image, the firefighters were running around with the hose. Then a similar scene, from a perspective from under the hose which has being unreeled.

All those pictures were brief, vivid moments. They were only visual, no sound or anything else was there, but the images were (except for the darkness and the smoke) incredibly clear, I haven’t experienced something like that in a concious state.
After about 30 minutes I heard my sister coming up the stairs and I aborted the WILD.

In my first try (I went to sleep really late back then), which was about I think 3 days ago, I was really able to feel the numbness crawling up my body and I heard a constant humming sound. The “swing” feelling was also present, but not as strong. After almost an hour I had to cancel the WILD because i had to go to the toilet! :wallhit:

Still, I think I’ll keep practicing WILD, after trying for so long with MILD and VILD! :grin:

Fun, isn’t it? :grin: I love vivid HI.

Anyway, those are good results. Just keep on trying and you’ll get further in no time. Just remember that all WILD’s can be different, so not getting HI or the swinging sensation doesn’t mean you aren’t on the right track :wink:

It sure is!^^

Another day, another WILD attempt! :razz:
By now I can definately confirm that WILDing is much easier in the afternoon. This time the whole swinging sensation and imagery weren’t as vivid or strong, but I could feel numbness and tingling crawl up my arms all the way from the fingertips to almost the shoulders. It felt a bit as if the blood circulation was cut off (which I of course know wasn’t). It was uncomfortable, but interesting.
At one point I definately saw a black circle in front of my (closed) real wake eyes, a bit later a bright dot. Both were, unlike the other colors I’ve been seeing rather stable.
For a moment there was also a forest scene. It was a mental image, but again, really vivid. I guess the forest theme was influenced by the birds which I could hear through the opened window.

But exactly bacause of background noises like that I ended up standin up cancelling the whole thing. It was just annyoing with all those noises from everywhere (which were no HH, obviously). I expected that at least an hour had passed, in fact it only were about 30 minutes, not too bad of a result for such a short time, I guess!

Funny enough, I still had a weird, “light” feeling after standing up. That again reminded me of doing an RC, which proved I was still in my wake body (what a shame :razz:), but anyway, good for keeping up the habit.

Tomorrow morning I want to try WILD in combination with WBTB, since I can sleep in! :happy:

Sorry for the double post, but I feel like I’m getting close! :happy:

I just tried WILD again, at really early afternoon. Not only I get results, like the numbness in my arms and the vivid mental pictures, faster, but this time I felt what could be first hints of my dream body! :astral:
I started feeling an incredible lightness and somehow I felt like I could move something besides my real, wake arms. It was a faint feeling, and it dissapeared quickly again, but it came again shortly after. Also, it felt like my legs were positioned so the soles touch each other (hard to describe, but you should know what I mean), while I knew I had them stretched out straight!
The mental images were really strong, stronger than the few times before. I saw a road, rivers and my own feet, crossing a garden fence’s door (like when you look down while walking through it).

A bit earlier I also saw Pride from the manga Fullmetal Alchemist. The fun thing was that his image was a mental one, while the colors and patterns in front of my real eyes matched to his power (shadowy spikes, covered by jaws and eyes). Interesting to watch the combination of cinema in my head and what happened behind my eyelids. :grin:

Nice! I’m guessing if you’d tried to imagine your dream body standing up at those moments it might have worked. I’ve done this a few times, but I have to be able to catch the right moment. The trick, for me at least, is to imagine the movement, because if I simply try to move like I normally would I risk moving my real body…

In fact, I tried imagining moving my body. I imagined stretiching my limbs and sitting up a few times, sometimes accompanied by some muscle twitches. I guess from then on it’s really just a matter of finding that right moment.

However, I stood up because I heard my sister coming home and not answering her greeting would have been awkward at least.

However, I still see it as a success, because I’m on the right track now ! :smile:

I’ve been trying the WILD approach too. I really would like to be able to have an LD at will, instead of hoping that I will catch the fact that I am asleep and dreaming.
Last night I started my wild by tensing up and relaxing every part of mt body one at a time, and then I keep my head alert by looking for imagery, counting, thinking about previous dreams etc. Got to a point that my body awareness faded and all I sensed/felt was (for lack of a better description) a humming/vibrating cocoon of energy. It’s like I turned into a big blob. :bored: My head was clear though, and I was digging the way this felt, when my daughter’s cell phone rang and I could hear her talk (it was almost midnight GRRRR). I lost the feeling just like that.
It took an hour to get to that point, hopefully the more I will practice the faster I can get there. Not sure where that “there” is, but it felt as if I was going the right way.
I do however have trouble keeping my eyes closed, to really relax my eyes seem to want to pop open. Unfortunately my room is never totally dark, because of the streetlight (even with lined curtains) so the second I see something the feeling fades.