Music choices

I’m just starting to consider music as a way to, in some way, at least influence my dreams.
I know there are a lot of sites out there with different kinds of music to do this, but I’m wondering if my own music would work just as fine?
It may not have the same style, but I think I would prefer some of the songs I like to listen to during the day. Does anyone know if this works just as good?
Perhaps I’d also just choose songs that really move me and give me a unique feeling when listening to it…
I suppose it also depends from person to person…but yea, would listening to music (such as rock) in any help or hinder my chances at lucidity?

I’m investigating this myself. I have a lot of those same questions.
When I’m doing WBTB, sometimes I think music would just distract my focus, so I don’t listen. Other times it’s the perfect thing to get me focused.
At one point I compiled a playlist of music that sounded dreamlike: Electronic, surreal, downbeat songs. Moby is an example of this.

I don’t know what’s best, it’s all about preference. If you think music/a kind of music will help, it usually will, and if it doesn’t, you know what not to do :tongue:

there are quite a few dreamers who use rock music or something to get to sleep, and then dream of playing in a rock band or they hear the music in the dream and become lucid. it’s like some get LDs when they sleep in front of the TV. if it works for you, you have to try, i guess. i prefere sleeping whithout music in the backgrount, though a monoton noise doesn’t matter.

Alright yea I’ll have to see.
I usually prefer no music or noises in the background too, but I think if the music is really soft, it will be fine…
But that brings me to another question: Would focusing on music (whether just listening to lyrics or actually singing along in your mind) also help with WILD? Just as focusing on images or your breath will help? Or will it just be disruptive?
Again, results probably vary…

I find music really helps me LD.
My most successful LD was had whilst listening to Led Zeppelin’s Houses of the Holy.
The great thing is the Zep were still playing in the LD! But it sounded quite odd, like a lovely distortion of The Ocean, the last track on that album.
I also recently LDed whilst listening to Steve Reich’s Music for 18 Musicians. That one is a more typical dreamy album.
I think playing music clearly helps because it keeps your mind focused on something in the real world instead of wholly drifting off to dream world.

That’s what I would like to know, too. Also, would there be a difference in music that have singing or no singing in them?

I have a bunch of songs on my mp3 player by the piano composer Yiruma, and they’re incredibly soothing. I’ll have to try them out sometime. Although I’m afraid they’re so soothing that you might possibly fall asleep, on the other hand they’ll probably help you to relax faster, which definitely helps in a WILD.