First Steps to MILD (for all basic MILD related Q&A)

The best time to set your intention is just before falling asleep, it must be your last thought before dozing off.
I know it’s hard to get it but you must focus your mind on this thought and this thought alone.
If you find it hard to focus on this thought, then try another day when you’re more motivated or try during a WBTB.

hey ther everybody!

at the moment im trying a lot of different techniques, i restartetd my LD attempts some weeks ago… now i am ill and have to prepare for my exams, but nevertheless im trying as hard as possible to proceed :smile:

over the past few days i tried MILD and did some RCs during the day but it never really worked out for me. last night i had a really weird dream with a lot of old friends of mine in it(which seems to be a dreamsign) and at some point i was talking to my best friend, whom i have once told about LDing. back then he had made fun of me because he thought RCs would be silly and in this dream (he was drunk btw) he asked me if i had already checked my hand today to see if its a dream. i laughed (i was drunk too^^)and said :“yeah man, i guess i could do that” but i just looked at my hand for a moment, being already sure that this meeting was taking place in reality. :bored: this was effing close! :content:

Oh wow, strange for me to be posting here… :grin:

I’ve been wondering… what exactly should I visualise when I’m MILD’ing?

Does it have to be after several hours of sleep or can it be done when you first go to bed? Also do you have to visualze because it seems to keep me awake.

If you want to use visualising to set your intention, then using a visualisation which helps you remember what you intend to do, is best. So maybe visualise a dream you had recently, best if it’s a common dream-sign for you, but see yourself get lucid when you see it.

It doesn’t have to be done in conjunction with WBTB but it helps.
You don’t have to visualise, you can also use a mantra and skip visualisation if it causes problems. A good guide to developing you mantra is here.

Most of my LDs have come from MILD, so it works pretty well for me. But, it hasn’t been working the past couple of weeks, and I think it might have something to do with the time it takes for me to fall asleep. I have always had a problem of not being able to sleep early in the night, but it has been getting much worse and I’m up to a bed time of 2:00+ AM (it’s 4 AM now…), regardless of what time I wake up. Even when I go to bed extremely tired it still takes quite a long time to actually fall asleep. Do you think it matters how long it takes to fall asleep as long as I continue repeating the mantra with meaning or is it more effective falling asleep quickly? WBTB is almost impossiblle with my sleep schedual and I usually can only do it once every week or two so I’m out of luck there.

Hello. I’m rather new to the MILD method, and I was wondering on what the majority of my focus should be placed. I’ve read that one must repeat a mantra, concentrate on the mantra’s meaning, and visualize success; I find that I can’t hold my focus on all of these things at once, so I switch between repeating the mantra and visualizing.

The specifics of my question are:
-when visualizing, should I continue with the mantra?
-how vivid or long should the visualized thing be?
-is it more important to focus on one thing than the other?

I appreciate the help.

Hey! Welcome to LD4all. I suggest that besides MILD you try FILD and WILD first. They are better for beginners. I am a beginner to. But don’t just listen to my opinion cause i’m new here to

You picked a good tech to start with as WILD can be quite a bit harder for beginners :content:. Here’s the answers to your questions:

-Yes, the most important part is the mantra. Basically, you are trying to pound your intention into your brain so that when you are dreaming it, you will remember it.

-That changes from person to person. I usually don’t visualize too much. When I do, it’s a replay of times when I have become lucid, or picturing myself become lucid when I didn’t in previous dreams.

-Really, neither the mantra or the visualization is more important. It’s all a matter of what gets the intention across to you. You have to intend to have an LD. Not want to have one, or wish to have one, but know you are going to have one.

Hi, im relatively new to LDing, and i have had 2 LDs. Ive been using the MILD method, but my dreams are usually so interesting that I end up forgetting that I’m dreaming. Then they usually end up turning into non-lucid dreams where I can control the dream just like when i’m lucid, but i forget that i am in a dream. :eh:

Hi Ninja :happy:. Ah yes, FLD’s. The trick is that once you are lucid you have to get yourself engaged in an activity that will keep you aware of the dreamstate. It would also help a bunch if you kept repeating “I’m dreaming” either out loud or in your head. Also, try to have a goal in mind for when you become lucid, like going to visit a location or flying. As long as you have a goal in mind, you can stay lucid.

Thanks Rhawin. I’ll try it next time I get a LD.

I’ll be trying the mantra “Next time i am dreaming, i will remember to recognize that i am dreaming” and see how this works out ^^

It is a bit hard sometimes, because I can’t go back to sleep even when I am in bed.

Deus 11: I’m going to guess that you are doing it with WBTB. Try to adjust the amount of time you stay out of bed, or if you’re not getting out of bed at all and still can’t sleep, adjust the amount of time before you try to wake up.

So all I do, is repeat a mantra inside my head (Such as, “I will have a lucid dream”) over and over in my head, and focus on the words until I fall asleep?

Focus on the meaning of the mantra and try to visualize your intention to become lucid. Do this until you feel the intention is set where you can then just fall asleep normally or continue to do this until you fall asleep. Just do not keep yourself awake with this if it’s been 89 minutes it would be wise to just fall asleep normally. :smile: hope this helps alittle

Well, you might want to put more thought into it. Believe it, and while saying it over and over in your head, think of your dream sign and then think of your dream sign appearing in your head and you becoming lucid off of it. Imagine a dream scene and become lucid, whether reality checks, random awareness because of strange occurrences, or your DS. It’s always good to make sure you don’t just say words that you don’t mean. And with that, I think that you’d have success.
Also, it helps not to use the word lucid. Say something like, “I will become aware that I am dreaming when I am dreaming” because it helps to actually make your mind know what you’re talking about. :smile: Good luck

Yes, this is important to remember (haha): LaBerge in his personal training noted a very small number of autosuggestion LDs (1 to 13 a month, but only after 1.5 years of trying, and the 13 was with strong motivation of a looming personal deadline), but a quite large number of LDs due to MILD [which by the way is his invention] (22+ per month, multiple per night, eventually upon demand).

He also notes that a good prospective memory is a prerequisite of MILD working well: you have to know that you can set yourself an associative reminder to do something in the future and successfully carry it out.

MILD is not alone in the LaBerge system, it also includes goal setting and goal re-evaluation, which is a proven successful psychological training technique. ETWOLD has all the details, I highly recommend it.

@Lucidity_Master for me it is difficult to LD