Video games and lucid dreaming?

Author  Message 
fishiesinthesky
With Diamonds
Novice dreamer

Video games and lucid dreaming?
PostPosted: Sun 30 May, 2010  Reply with quote

<mod>moved from lab -Q</mod>

I read an article for my psychology class that noted some surprising parallels between lucid dreamers and... gamers! That's right! It seems that we have some things in common, including better spatial awareness, less motion sickness, and more intense focus. It also seems that people who play a lot of video games are more likely to have lucid dreams. :D

So, here's my question... how many of you fellow lucid dreamers out there are also video game fans? I count myself as a part of both groups, but I'm curious to see what other people have to say about it.

Any other thoughts about this? ^^

Current LD goal(s): Learn to WILD!
Dani1202
Lucid Firebird
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 4

Well, It's been a while since I last played a videogame (the last I beat was Assassin's Creed II), but this is an interesting article. Is there a chance you can find it online?

Anyway, I only had 2 "probably lucid" moments, but they never lasted more than seconds. However, in a different thread here I've read that there's a connection between videogames and 3rd-person-dreams, which are nothing new to me.

I guess I'll re-install some good, classic videogames in summer, when I have time to play and pracice LDing!^^

Current LD goal(s): Stabilizing the dream after becoming lucid
BlueMoon
Dream World Explorer
Somniologist
BlueMoon has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: lost count :(

Here I'm a lucid dreamer and a video gamer. Now I'm just playing Red Dead Redemption. ^^

Mew151
Ebil Mew Idol
LD4all addict
Scribes
Wolfgame
LD count: %d

I'm a lucid dreamer and a gamer. Though I really don't like how all of today's games are pretty much the same... I liked the good old days when instead of talking about Fallout 3 all day people would talk about rumors of Luigi in Super Mario 64.

Anyways, I've only had four very small lucid moments in my 2 years of LD'ing but whatever.
Though I'm a (unofficial of course) game developer nowadays.

Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
The Kroc
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

That's really interesting! I'm a huge Nintendo fan, and always have been. ^^

Maybe gamers are attracted to LDs because...well, the first time you read about it, you think "hey, this sounds like a virtual reality video game, in your head!" XD You can run, jump, fly...do all the kinds of stuff you love doing in videogames. Dunno. Of course, even for a gamer, there are other reasons. I also think it's an incredibly deep way of getting to know yourself.

And what you said about spatial awareness and that...it's really interesting also.

BlueMoon
Dream World Explorer
Somniologist
BlueMoon has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: lost count :(

Mew151 wrote:
I'm a lucid dreamer and a gamer. Though I really don't like how all of today's games are pretty much the same... I liked the good old days when instead of talking about Fallout 3 all day people would talk about rumors of Luigi in Super Mario 64.

Anyways, I've only had four very small lucid moments in my 2 years of LD'ing but whatever.
Though I'm a (unofficial of course) game developer nowadays.

Well the Internet makes it a lot harder for rumors. Well I hope you mean with the same the FPSes, because there are some original games. I doesn't like however that there are as good as no Platformers.

What games have you made? Would like to know! smile

Mew151
Ebil Mew Idol
LD4all addict
Scribes
Wolfgame
LD count: %d

BlueMoon wrote:
What games have you made? Would like to know! smile

None yet. XD
I'm making my first game right now.
Then I'll be making a one about Dreaming. Yeah, it's going to be awesome.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
Thas

I wonder if those few years of WoW help me with my quest for Lucidity ;o

fishiesinthesky
With Diamonds
Novice dreamer

Wow, I never expected such a huge surge of replies! This is amazing! :D
Dani1202 wrote:
Well, It's been a while since I last played a videogame (the last I beat was Assassin's Creed II), but this is an interesting article. Is there a chance you can find it online?

Absolutely. ^^ Here's the article for anyone who's interested:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37342086/ns/technology_an d_science-games/

The Kroc wrote:
Maybe gamers are attracted to LDs because...well, the first time you read about it, you think "hey, this sounds like a virtual reality video game, in your head!" XD You can run, jump, fly...do all the kinds of stuff you love doing in videogames. Dunno. Of course, even for a gamer, there are other reasons. I also think it's an incredibly deep way of getting to know yourself.

Exactly! smile I'm really into games like Zelda and Okami that give you this huge world to explore, because the dream worlds in my head are so vivid... plus playing the role of the "God" in Okami is pretty cool. You control the world much like you might control elements of a dream.

But like you said, there are so many other reasons, too. I lucid dream to find out more about myself, to exercise creativity, find out how far I can go manipulating my own consciousness, and (believe it or not) to actually get myself to sleep at night. But part of its appeal for me is, like you said, that you can do all these cool video game type things in your own head. And it feels so real!

I guess video games and lucid dreams are both alternate realities... maybe that has something to do with the advanced spatial intelligence, too. Maybe we're more used to moving things around in our heads, tweaking things without having to hold them in our hands.

EllyEve
This is not an apple
Dream Deity
EllyEve has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 20+

PostPosted: Mon 31 May, 2010  Reply with quote

The Kroc wrote:
Maybe gamers are attracted to LDs because...well, the first time you read about it, you think "hey, this sounds like a virtual reality video game, in your head!" XD

Thirded! ^^

I'm a gamer, but not a very avid one: I haven't felt the need to upgrade consoles since the PS2, and the DS that I used, to play The World Ends With You, Professor Layton, Scribblenauts, and Phoenix Wright, is borrowed.

Lucid dreams are becoming very few and far between for me. I might have video game dreams where I both feel "in" the game doing game-y stuff, and "out" of the game holding the controller, but somehow I'm still in first person (and have never clued in to why my point of view is split like that.)

In the string of video-game themed ND's I've had lately, no matter how pixellated or 2D the original medium was, my dreams tend to smooth them over and flesh them out. I don't know if that's a step cloesr to lucidity because of heightened vividness, or a step away because maybe if they remained shoddily rendered, I'd be able to wonder, "Why is he so blurred and boxy? reality check"

fishiesinthesky
With Diamonds
Novice dreamer

EllyEve wrote:
Lucid dreams are becoming very few and far between for me. I might have video game dreams where I both feel "in" the game doing game-y stuff, and "out" of the game holding the controller, but somehow I'm still in first person (and have never clued in to why my point of view is split like that.)

Actually, I have that, too! I was so surprised the first time I looked at some people's dream journals online and realized that they don't usually see themselves in their dreams. I had always been disconnected somehow from my dream self. Kind of like seeing your player in a game, like you said.

bullet25
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 1! YES!!!

i am a huge gamer but i have yet to have a lucid dream last more then a minute, and i have only had 3 of thoese so far

right now i am playing Alan Wake, and i had an "Alan Wake"-ish dream last night and about 10 seconds before i woke up i relizied it was a dream, so im hoping for another tonight, i might be able to get one finally

The Kroc
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

It'd be interesting to know if this affects different kinds of gamers in different ways. For example, maybe people who mostly play platformers and adventure kind of games have a better grasp on dream exploration, whereas shooter gamers are faster and more focused, and RPG players have this, puzzlers that or the other...

Namine
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: More to come!

I am definitely a Lucid Gamer! ^^

I find this topic quite interesting. I myself have totally considered what it would be like to venture off into a video game world during a lucid dream. Maybe since lucid dreaming and playing video games have to with exploring, we can see the connection between them? I don't know if that makes sense but, there you go.

(I'm currently playing Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories.)

Rubiks_Cube_Man
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
Rubiks_Cube_Man has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Scribes
LD count: lost count

PostPosted: Tue 01 Jun, 2010  Reply with quote

I play video games every once in while, and i can definitely agree with the fact that dreams are like videos, same action, adventure, and as someone mentioned you usually see yourself in your dream like you see your character in a video game. It wasnt what i was thinking when i found LD4ALL, but i definitely based some LDs on video games.

print