The Power of Dream Journals

Being the lazy bum I am, I usually tell myself to remember the dream I just had and write it down later that day. Just so everyone knows, that attitude is total BS! One may be able to recall every dream one had in the morning, but until one writes them down, one might forget about half of them again - at least that’s my experience.

So writing your journal entry ASAP is of utmost importance, even if it’s just scribbled into your DJ with terrible handwriting and just in keywords (as many keywords as possible, that is).

After reading this thread I promise myself to write down my dreams as soon as I wake up!

I completely agree, I’ve forgotten quite a few dreams with this attitude.
I’d also add that it’s better if you make sure that your DJ entries are readable (if it’s written, of course). I go through phases (I’m in one now actually) where I wake up really tired and end up just writing stuff down quickly, don’t go back to expand on it, and then a few days later I have no idea what I wrote. It looks like I had a series of muscle spasms with a pen in my hand, and just happened to hit the paper some of the time.

same here. let’s form a club! :happy:

or at least make a poll about our current DJ status :wink:

For me i started my dream journal and the second night i had a very vivid dream that i can still recall now (even though that was only a few days ago about 11 now i think). for me i don’t normally have time in the morning to write them down so i do when i can if i cant i retell it to my self over and over until i get to school and can write it down if i can remember it after i get out of bed i have a good tendency to not forget most of it there are rarely any holes in them except the starts of them which are always blurry for me ;.;

for organization im just using a normal notebook and i lable each day when i wrote it down time wise and the date i had the dream works well enough for me ^_ ^

I use a computer to keep my DJ, on notepad so I can get to it easily. Is there any dignificant downside to typing? I’ll easy switch to a notebook if it’s stopping LD’s.

stabbyuz:

I’m sure opinions on this vary greatly, but in my experience there isn’t a downside to typing your DJ. The important thing is that your mind recognizes writing in your DJ as a special ritual. That’s why it’s often recommended when you have a handwritten journal to use a special pen.
However, there’s no reason why typing it on your computer wouldn’t work. You could even set up for it by opening Notepad before going to bed to make it more “ritual”-like.

I personally write down keywords and short sentences after I wake up from a dream in a notebook, and then later write up the interesting dreams in more detail when I have more time (when I can read what I originally wrote about them of course. :grin: )

Yeah, your so right! I used to write in my DJ every single morning, during that time I had at least 1 LD a week. But then school got in the way, and I lost focus on LD’ing altogether and didn’t write in my DJ at all, and I haven’t had a LD in Forever. So I’m going to start again. I’m looking forward to many LD’s this summer :content:

It’s always amazing to reread your dream journal.

I do remember the time between 15-17 years old, I would write about 5 pages of details of every dream every morning and because of this(I didn’t know it at the time) was the reason for having plenty of LD’s.

Now I skip lots of details and just record the big picture but I should go back to writing down every single detail. This helps with memory and you just get so into your dreams that you are bound to have much more remembered LD’s.

Like become a serious Dream Journalist!
with this I imagine many of those who do start to take this seriously will have many DJILD’s (Dream Journalism Induced Lucid Dream) :content:

Alright back to reviewing my scribbled-on-paper dreams.

#Six

I’m pretty lazy and impatient, so I’ll start my DJs back up and then slack off after a week or two. I usually can recall at least one dream without a DJ or at least a fragment. There aren’t many nights I don’t remember at least something. However, I tend to forget as the day goes on if I don’t apparently consider it “worth” remembering or if it doesn’t have references in RL. But it’s 5 pm here and I still remember some of a dream where I was in some store right before closing trying to hurry to find what I wanted before it closed. It just depends on the dream, I guess.

However, when I’m keeping a DJ, I usually remember 3-4 or more dreams plus fragments. I also tend to have a lot more LDs, whereas they’re rare when I’m not keeping some sort of one. It usually still works some if I write down keywords and then outlines, but maybe not quite as well as all my details, though I get frustrated if I do that since each dream that I remember most of takes up several pages in my little 3 1/2 x 5 inch notebook. I’m gonna need a bigger one so I don’t hurt my hands as much from the writing, as I’m looking to start back up tomorrow on it. Might as well not waste the summer before college.

But just saying, my LDs are much more rare without my DJ. I do agree that DJs have a big effect.

For the first week I`m all doing great jobs with pages long dreams,
then it goes to a three sentences and
in a few days to “I think it had something to do with a dog…”.

It`s so hard to get the job down.
And I know what the price is. :sad:

Is there a way to keep writing?

This actually works really well. For the past three weeks I didn’t have any.
I had an LD two nights ago, an decided to record it in a DJ, then had an LD the very next night, and recorded that too. And I wouldn’t be surprised if I had a LD tonight too. And they all lasted a good time of over 10 minutes.

Works. Being organized and planning really works. Dreaming is actually pretty logical.

Last night, I re-read some of my dream journal, even fixed up some messy writing to make it more eligible. I wrote down what I wanted to dream about too. then I wrote down my awakening date. Before I slept, I looked at the page I would be writing in, and just “knew” that I would be writing down my dream there soon. I place the pen in the page that I will have to open up to write on. Well I did dream of what I wanted to! And better, I got lucid.
Btw, I always sleep with my Dream Journal right next to my head in bed with me.
My dream journal is like my teddy bear.
:happy:

I’ve kept a DJ for a few weeks now (since april 23), but I don’t get the feeling that it’s improving my DR… When my alarm clock wakes me up, I can “feel” that there’s still a dream in my mind, but it’s so hard to “capture” it. Sometimes I try thinking about school, or friends and it’ll bring back that same feeling, but I have to be very lucky to actually be able to grasp the dream then.
I’m often pretty detailed when recording dreams, so I just don’t get why this isn’t working out.
And I usually just remember lots and lots of fragments. It’s so frustrating! :sad:

You have to still grab your dream journal and write what you “feel” ! Even if you feel “I feel like I don’t remember anything” <then write that down too! Earlier today, I wrote down, “I"m trying to remember what I dreamed of.” and yes, a minute later, some 'fragments" came to the surface. I wrote down those fragments, and guess what, the details then followed.

So do write down the ‘fragments’ too! No matter what, just write in your dream journal every time you wake up, no matter what it is. Your subconscious will start to see that writing dreams in your DJ is so important that it will start to do what it can to make you remember more and more so that it can be happy to write in the DJ.

I’m speaking from experience here. Please don’t give up. Feel happy about your DJ. Have faith in it and it will prove itself back to you.

Remember: too much isn’t always beneficial. For some people, they can write long, detailed dreams every morning, but for others that is nearly impossible. You’re obviously one of those people, so here’s my advice: don’t overdo it. On the first morning, you’ll most likely wake up feeling motivated to write in you DJ. You’ll probably end up recording your dream down to the last detail, using pages and pages of your DJ. Then the second night, you’ll write less. And after that you’ll just start getting lazy. The reason is because you’ve had the motivation to write so much on the first day, but after that you’ve lost that motivation, and so you won’t want to write as much.

So, just write the main details. Tell the whole dream with good detail, but don’t include all the tiny little minor details that don’t matter. Then, keep thinking about the dream and about all the minor details. This way, you won’t get tired of writing so much.

Another idea to keep you motivated is to plan your dreams. Before bed, jot down notes on what you want to dream of. Then, in the morning, compare your dreams to the one you’ve planned out. If it matches in any way, reward yourself. An idea of a reward is to give yourself some extra sleep. Set your alarm a little bit earlier than usual (10-90 min. should do, but the longer the better (as long as you get enough sleep)). If your dream matches in any way, you can sleep that extra half-hour. If not, get up and stay active. (Of course, make sure you’ll get enough sleep.) Do this every night, and you should start being able to plan your dreams better. This can even help you get LDs, because you’ll be prepared for what you’re going to dream of, which’ll help you recognize the dream better.

Good luck! :smile:

#Six: Ah, thanks for your advice! :smile: I was feeling kind of demotivated, but your answer made me feel a little better xD But the problem is that I DO write down all the fragments that I remember. This used to bring back more fragments and details, but that seems to have become less lately… Or maybe it only feels like it has become less? :meh: Bwah, I’ll try again tonight xD

i really need to start keeping a dream journal again.

I once kept a DJ. That was a year ago when I first found this site :content: . Suprizingly I had an LD once :O… but everything was blurry and unclear. I thaught “If LD’s have such a bad graphic, then I leave everything be and that’s it !”.

Then, after a year, I joined this forum. The first topic I opened was “Unclear dreams”, as that thaught was making me very nervous. I asked about how to increase my vividness. And people answered adn gave me very good advises. Then I began hoping again about LD’s. This forum gave me back my hope… and I mean the people around here. I’m very thankfull ! :happy:

Now that’s my history about LDing. When I had the DJ I didn’t have better results of LD’s, but amazingly I could remember dreams better. Now I can’t remember anythink, or just like Oleg saied: in a few days to “I think it had something to do with a dog…”.

It makes me think about starting the DJ thingy again… but I’m too lazy to do that :tongue:

I hope everyone in this topic has already read Rathez’s guide to LD’ing. :wink:

Yeah, I should be ashamed of myself :smile: I allready read that thing… still I have no time for a DJ, and I’m afraid I’ll just leave it in a corner. I know I’m exactly the type of character Rathez describes there, but I can’t help it :tongue:. I want to make a DJ, but I think it will take too long and stuff like that. Should I write or type my DJ ? :happy: If I’m lazy I’ll type it, and if I’m not THAT lazy I’ll write it :smile:)