Is it true that you can practice skills in a lucid dream?

I’ve heard this several times before: that lucid dreams simulate real life so well that you can actually practice certain hobbies (snowboarding etc) in them.
This sounds awesome and would make an extremely hilarious story to the uninitiated crowd if they wanted to know how you got so got at something so fast, but is it really true?
And if so, how effective is it?

Yes, its quite true. Many people practice things like public speaking in them, and it is quite effective. Its a great way to practice for upcoming events.

Lucidity_Master actually has been able to improve his golf game through LD’s.

Yes, I am working on running football routes and catching footballs. When i learn how to lucid dream

Hi all,

I am yet to have a lucid dream and have not experienced it, but I was wondering if it would be possible to improve skills, psychical and mental. I was thinking, weapons practice (with guns) - you could create targets and move through tricky terrain. Mentally you’d get better at aiming and tricks, wouldn’t you? I was also thinking about learning skills, like studying for an exam or mathematics… if you practised them in the dream.

Just a thought, anybody know anything?

Merged from similar topic :dragon:

Sure why not, i’m looking forward to obtaining muscle memory for football

I don’t think you can improve body skills, like makeing muscle in the dream, but mental skills like mathematics, charisma and stuff like that could be improved really well. The best thing would be if you would also have a dreamguide (DG) :wink:

Interesting. Yes, I agree that muscle mass could not be built as there’s no psychical stimulation of breaking/tearing the muscles to make them grow, and with a bad diet they wouldn’t grow (I do some bodybuilding IRL). But how about just target practice? The mentality of aiming or learning how to take cover etc, not necessarily running around and building stamina as you can’t but the more mental side?

I want to try and improve my confidence and public speaking, I’ll try it when I have a lucid dream (or at least when I get good at them).

A lot of people are coming up with this lately, and it’s really inspiring to see so many dreamers willing to better themselves through dreams :content:
[Training Inside a LD?) (similar topic)

I will really try, I’m not such a strong public speaker so I’d work on that. I’d also try to boost confidence - I’m a bit shy at first with people. I need to have my first lucid dream before I can even think about this though! :cry:

hey you could ever practice LD’ing in a LD…go around flipping light switches and whatnot. hahaha

i would say mentally yes
physically absolutely no

I don’t see why not :smile: At least lucid-skills such as controlling the dream.

Theres a lot of threads about improving skills through LDs and its been said that it is certainly possible, I just had a couple more questions on the subject/wonder if they were ever discussed.

So first of all, many people talk about improving IRL skills through LDs as possible and I believe this to be true, but I was just wondering who on these forums has successfully done this excluding public speaking of course :razz:

And another question is, do you think ONLY certain skills could be improved? for example: I theorize something like guitar could be improved through an LD in which there are “scales” which are memorized ‘notes’ (approx. 12) in which you could play a whole song from in infinitely different ways. But…
Someone else was talking about improving “gun” type skills, I theorize this couldnt be possible, in the sense targets are not memorized, but to become a good marksmen youd have to train on mostly instinct in that you dont memorize targets, but shoot them as they “pop up”, thus if you are a good marksmen in your dreams, its only because you placed the targets in front of your aim? (because in LDs I, I repeat, I assume you control about every aspect in the dream, including targets you were shooting at)
BUT if you were to shred a nice lick on a guitar, it would be from memorized notes that you actually know?

You could say you would memorize the way you hold, aim and shoot any weapon at a target as an argument I guess, but in theory, for certain talents that involve instinct and different and completely spontaneous circumstances/aspects such as a gunfight, would it not be as effective to train for a gunfight as it would be to play a song on a guitar? (gunfight could be a bad example, im sure theres plenty of “spontaneous” talents to replace a gunfight.)
(Gun fight: everytime you pull the trigger your going to hit the target if you think you’re a good marksmen, when you think you’re good, you “Know” you’re good in the LD, thus in an LD, if you think you’re improving and pull the trigger your mind will place the target right behind where you shot, BUT playing guitar in an LD could sound bad if you played bad notes that you MEMORIZED, this is my way of thinking towards this.)

Merged from similar topic. :dragon:

Yep. I shot several people during my last LD, and had a remarkably good aim. Time will tell if this improves my gaming skills :wink: