Tutorial: Beginners Guide to Lucid Dreaming

This guide is great! :grin: It’s definitely different from the other guides on LDing.

This is a very good guide :razz:

I guess I didn’t realise how important Dream Journals were before reading this. And now, I understand why they’re important, too. Thanks :happy:

Rathez:
Great tutorial, focuses on the really important stuff. I had to find this out the hard way when I started out, confused by all the techniques and RCs. Great job writing it down so concisely. :smile:

Thanks for the guide.

I just discovered this website today along with Lucid Dreaming which I had heard about but had since forgotten. Currently I will only recall a dream or so a week but I plan on improving this with the help of a Dream Diary.

I am patient for progress to occur. :smile:

So I had quite some time away from LD4all. I started a new job and it took a lot to settle in.

I’m glad to see this guide is still helping everyone out! If you have any questions, PM me or post on the forum! I’d be more than happy to help you guys out!

Awesome! Thats good to hear!

The most important thing is to make it YOUR dream journal. It has to be in a form that works for you, not for others. I personally type my dreams out on the laptop, as I find I dont like hand writing, and the fact I’m a really fast typer :razz:

Lucid Dreaming shouldn’t be a chore, it should be something you enjoy working towards and doing!

This is a great guide. It has motivated me even more to stop slacking off when it comes to my dream journal. I can’t wait to write my dreams down tomorrow. :smile: I love how to stressed the importance of writing down all the details that you recall. I’m guilty of not really focusing on the details, so that’s something I’m going to have to improve on. :tongue:

I cannot thank you enough for writing this guide. As soon as I read the bit about getting caught up in methods, I knew I had to read this…I’ve been trying to LD for two years with very little success.

In the past, I have noticed that keeping a DJ does wonders for my dream recall (Without a DJ, 0-1 dreams per night. With a DJ, up to 3), so I know the importance of keeping one. I’ve started it up again recently and intend to keep it running.

So thank you for this. It’s really changed my whole outlook on LD’ing…I feel very empowered to do this now. :cool:

Since we cannot directly tell our brain what is important and what it needs to remember, we need an indirect method that allows us to communicate these needs to our brain.

I found that really stressing your memory every morning really sends the right message to your brain. If you really focus on the details in your dream journal (more specifically trying to figure out the hazy details), your brain will start thinking “Ok so when he/she wakes up, he’s going to want to remember everything that happened in these dreams, so I better pay attention!”

Please let me know if any of you need help. Its a difficult journey, but well worth it. This goes for anyone.

I’m glad I could provide the motivation! That is a long time to be trying to lucid dream. I have not even been practicing for THAT long.

You will find that this guide will not only help you start up your lucid dreaming, but it will provide the proper foundation for consitent lucid dreaming. Just keep pushing the boundaries with your recall and your brain will keep building on its ability to recall dreams, as it must adapt!

You and myself both lol. It is important to write down immediately, even if you feel like you will remember it later on in the day. The way our memory works isn’t like a video camera, rather something closer to a jigsaw puzzle. We have one piece, and it helps us find another. However, very frequently our brain makes up parts of stories. So if you write down your dream later on in the day, it may be completely different then what actually happened, which in turn could make a discontinuity in your patterns.

I would also love to hear the progression made by anyone following my guide. Feel free to keep the thread (and me!) updated on your progress!

Timing is VERY important when it comes to recording dreams in your journal. Every minute upon wakening, you will start to forget more and more. I personally wake up, go to the washroom if need be, then turn on my laptop and begin writing.

Good advice. I find it the hardest to recall details in conversations I have in dreams so hopefully my brain will get the message soon.

Sometimes I get the gist or a detail about something that happened in a dream is just on the tip of my tongue, but I usually have a hard time putting it in words while I’m writing in my dream journal.

Yay! Person who wrote this, you have inspired me to write my first entry in my dream journal! Status: normal dream. Rank: step 1.

I’m glad I could help out!

In the past month or two I have not been keeping up with my lucid dreaming at all and have lost most of my recall and have not been lucid dreaming at all. However, I see this as a chance to start fresh; close to where the beginners start (only difference is I have experienced a lucid dream and know the feeling).

I will be following through my guide and recording my progress in this topic. I think this will provide an interesting addition to the guide as well as provide a good comparison for people who are also following my guide.

If anyone else is willing to join me in this, let me know! The only thing I would require of you is to allow me to post your progress and DJ entries in the topic.

Reply in this topic or send me a PM and we can arrange something!

Im completely new to ld but im very exited over the prospect and i have decided to collow this guide religously as it seems to have got many compliments. thanks for posting it. I do have a few questions though , personally im not very good at remembering dreams (think im pretty much at stage one) will keeping a journal and adding my one dream a week see my dreams increasing in frequency or just vividness because i would love to have them more regularly. and another question i have been advised from someone not to look in a mirror which has me worried , is there anything in them? haha sorry for the long post any help would be appreciated

this is gold… “If you have increased your vividness enough, you will automatically become lucid.” i have done some wbtb with wild, with good success(but short dreams). but i dont like taking naps or going up 4 hours earlier just to go back to bed again : :grrr: it would be awesome if i could ld when i sleep “regularly” i will definitely write down my dreams in the future :smile:

Hi ritchie222 :welcome:

In regards to your journal, keep it ready at all times. Whenever you wake up write down anything you can think of, even if it is just a setting, a feeling, a picture or just a though. Anything will help. I also suggest you wake up about 5 hours after first going to sleep and then going back to sleep. This will drastically help your recall.

As for the mirror, there’s nothing wrong with looking at one. Some people have said the image can be disfigured, but for many others it’s perfectly normal. Just don’t freak out about it and it won’t bother you. If you want some real fun you should walk through the mirror :content: