Lack of vividness upon awakening

So I’m getting pretty good at this lucid thing now-supplements such as Galantamine are greatly helping. So I will be in a dream and become lucid and it’ll be vivid and long and I’ll do some great stuff-the landscape will be so beautiful. However when I wake-up the vividness is gone-all I’m left with is the memory of it being vivid, but not how it was vivid. It’s hard to explain but it’s like I’ll remember the countryside was vivid and beautiful but not the actual details of it.

Is there a way to improve vividness when I awaken? The dream is vivid-that’s not the problem, but when I wake-up I forget the details. Thanks.

Moved from Lucid Adventures.

I’ve had similar experience with my lucid dreams (no supplements though), they feel vivid and I remember them being vivid but I can’t really describe the vividness after I wake up. I haven’t thought that much of it because really, don’t real memories kind of fade the same way?

I’d be intereseted in hearing as well though if there is a solution to this.

Well, there is always the good old dream journal.
Basically, you know it was vivid but you don’t recall it.

So, you don’t lack vividness, you lack recall :wink:

Write in your DJ as often as possible and the results should be very good.
Simple as that.

Well I already have a dream journal Lord-had one for about 10yrs lol.

Yeh I suppose it is the recall-the only way I can describe it is like in real life when you are driving and you end up at work and you think “how did I get here?” because you kind of space out when driving and are not paying attention to your surroundings. You are still able to drive of course and drive safely, but you don’t remember parts of the journey. Kore-yes you are right real memories kind of are the same like with my driving example but for some reason it seems different-ah I can’t explain it! Maybe I just need to pay more attention in my LDs.

No, I understand, in some ways it’s kind of like real memories but there is something kind of different about the way dreams fade. Hard to explain it, but I get it.

I’ve definitely had the same experience. Of course, I haven’t really had a stable LD yet, so that may be it. But the feeling that it wasn’t quite real I understand. It’s just slightly inferior to a real memory.

I agree with Antares. Since you already keep a DJ for 10 years, I guess the only thing you can try is to crank it up a notch? :tongue: It can be boring and time consuming, but write down every little detail you remember. As you’re writing search your memory for the smallest details. Describe the feeling, temperature, “wetness” of water, how it looked like, the sound of the waves, the fresh air, the sound of seaguls, the sun and wind on your skin. Describe, besides what your senses get, your feelings, ideas and thoughts you have in the dream. Even if you don’t remember something well put like “I think there was something odd about the water, but I can’t really remember.” or things like “I have the impression I dreamed about pancakes.”

It’s hard work, but you can chose a lower degree of this :tongue:

Also, meditation might help you be even more aware and perceive things better!

Thanks for the advice people. I had a couple of high level lucid dreams this morning and what helped was straight after the first LD I made myself scribble down as much as I could in my notebook-I always scribble down details anyway before I write it all up in my dream journal, but sometimes I leave it too long. If you go back to sleep after a lucid, no matter how much you tell yourself you’ll remember it, details are lost. So writing it down immediately helps.

I’m still not satisfied with my recall-but with having a lot of vivid and long lucids lately, theres time for experimentation to see what might improve it. I’m still not satisfied with my control over the dream either-well not the control so much, as how “lucid” i am-how able i am to think clearly in the dream. But it is getting better.