The Tetris Effect

Page 1 of 3Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author  Message 
ShoemakerSteve
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

The Tetris Effect
PostPosted: Thu 19 Aug, 2010  Reply with quote

First off, I didn't know in which section of the forum to put this in, but general seems like a good place, so sorry if it's in the wrong section!

"The Tetris effect occurs when people devote sufficient time and attention to an activity that it begins to overshadow their thoughts, mental images, and dreams. It is named after the video game Tetris."
From the wiki page

In my own words, this is when you play enough video games that you dream about playing them. I was just curious to see if anyone has had these dreams and especially if anyone has ever been lucid in one. That seems like quite the task to accomplish!

I have been trying to become lucid for a few weeks now (With no luck, I might add), I was thinking about this today after having a dream about playing Starcraft II, which I have to say, is pretty lame as a dream. And I might add, that I have had these kinds of dreams dozens of times, given the fact that I'm a gamer and all.

So how about it? Give me your stories!

PS: This is my first post! I've been reading this forum for almost a month now, after having gotten back into LDing, cause I was sorta trying it last summer, with only a single success. But I'll eventually get it. smile

geekboy
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 8

welcome to the forum ShoemakerSteve

and ive had an experiance like this i was playing video games a lot after a time of not for a while and i had a few dreams of which i was eaither playing games or being in the game it self

sadly no lucid experiances with this though im new to this whole thing and have had one over this summer but yeah i see this all the time with every activitities i spend a decent amount of time doing

Current LD goal(s): see a sunset/sunrise and a night sky
ecrando
LD count: 4

In my case, i dont dream about the video games (or other things ive been very busy with during the day), but they seem to take over my HH completely, which can be pretty irritating if iwant to go to sleep, because then i see for example football manager matches being played in my head or endless numbers from exel files ive been busy with.
I guess that can be used for WILD though, so maybe i'll try to enter a videogame that way once (if i finally can get WILD to work)

WASD
Psychonaut
Dream Deity
WASD has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

I is not very uncommon for me to dream about video games. When i quited World of Warcraft i had dreams about it all the time for weeks after tounge2

Ghosteh
Fire Apprentice
LD4all addict
Ghosteh has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: Loads of them

Well, for me when I was a game addict (not The Game) I usually always had that game in my mind all the time, which didnt allow me to think of something else tounge2

I can tell you that more than video games can affect your mind like this, for example Ive been using the train a lot recently, now all my dreams involve railroads and trains lach1

Current LD goal(s): Become a fire-master
Mew151
Ebil Mew Idol
cookie lover
Scribes
Wolfgame
LD count: %d
Location: Universe............. Favorite Animal: Mew....... Nightmare count: 4

The Game has been part of my life so much it haunts my THE GAME thoughts.

Dang it.

Current LD goal(s): Get a real LD; Shoot fireworks out of my hands; Become top idol

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
WASD
Psychonaut
Dream Deity
WASD has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

The Game neutral

Since i started high school a year ago I've been riding the bus almost every morning and since then i often dream about riding the bus.

BeRightBack
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
BeRightBack has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 73

I've had my mind stuck in minesweeper mode in the past.....feels like your head is playing minesweeper 24/7...when trying to sleep, in your dreams, during work....it was a good sign to quit playing. neutral

x Puffycloud x
High in the Sky
Astral Explorer
Scribes
LD count: 6

I worry too much, and I often dream about things that I've been fretting about IWL.

I lost the game.

Current LD goal(s): Increase length, talk to my subconcious.
Kirbypowered
Within, but without
Astral Explorer

I've had many video game related dreams, probably at least one from each genre. XP If I spend an extended amount of time playing a game, or doing pretty much anything, I'll more that likely dream about it.

Current LD goal(s): Record dreams regularly..
Lolz4All
Combat the Infinite
Somniologist
LD count: Why to count?

Well, being playing Zelda, and I would love to have the Lens of Truth!
And in my dream there was this hidden door behind a fake wall you can walk through. But the LoT didn`t appear..

Coyote
Falling Water Dog
Somniologist

My favorite video game dreams are the ones where the dream is pixelated or in blocky 3D just like the actual game. :D I've had lots of dreams like that.

Current LD goal(s): Sing for an audience
Leo
LD count: a few shorts

PostPosted: Fri 20 Aug, 2010  Reply with quote

I remember dreaming about being the test subject in Portal, not about playing it. Unfortunately, it wasn't LD, but everything was working like in the game, including physics and viewing through portals. Going to experience it again smile

Current LD goal(s): Increase lucidity, stability, duration, and have fun :)
ShoemakerSteve
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Leo wrote:
I remember dreaming about being the test subject in Portal, not about playing it. Unfortunately, it wasn't LD, but everything was working like in the game, including physics and viewing through portals. Going to experience it again smile

Lol, that's amazing! Sounds like tons of fun tounge2

@everyone else: Really interesting stuff you guys are giving me, like dreams about busses or trains? Kinda strange when you really think about it. Also, Lol @ The Game, I lost, and so did all of you for reading my post wink5

FunkyFreddo
Almost Lucid
Somniologist
LD count: Zilch.

I think i've had the odd dream about games, because when I find a game I like I don't stop playing for about a month. I once played a DS pokemon game so much I actually started hearing the tune of it in my head in WL!! I may try this out, sounds cool, and thats a pretty cool term tounge2

Page 1 of 3Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

print   ShareShare