A Forced Awakening

It was a few years ago and I was having a nightmare. Smeegal from Lord of the Ring was chasing me and my friends around a mall. We held hands and ran as fast as we could but somehow because of the growing crowd we broke up and scattered. Smeegal started to gain on us and before he jumped on me I forced my eyes open. At the same time I could see my mom’s TV still on from when she was watching it, and Smeegal’s face attacking me. It a few good blinks to finally get the little mongrel out of my vision.

I always thought if you woke up from a dream, it was gone from your line of vision. Was it because I put so much effort into waking up that I could still see a translucent vision of Smeegal?

Hm, I’ve experienced this only once in recent memory, in an LD in which I accidentally opened my real eyes. I think that the cause of this double-vision may be that your body is still trying to produce internal stimuli while it is receiving external stimuli. As a result, your brain takes a moment to choose which set of signals to focus on.

This happened to me once I was in this giant bouncy castle thingy then I woke up and I could see it superimposed on my room. It was funny :razz:

If your brain could crash and give have a blue screen…those would be the moments that would get to see one. :wink:

I regularly experience the last thing I’ve seen in my dream for a short moment while waking up. Just your mind trying to multi-task and failing at it miserably. :tongue:

Well, I think it could be two things:

1. Sleep grogginess. Sometimes when you wake up from a dream, images, sounds or feelings will still be as if you were asleep.
    One time I didn’t want to get out of the bed because I thought I was tied to the bed with a chain and a big lock was floating. Yup. That’s what sleep grogginess does.

2. Or maybe you didn’t actually wake up, so it was a FA.

I’ve never had an image left over from waking up, but I have been kind of mentally asleep upon awaking. Basically, I would wake up, keeping my eyes closed, and try to remember my dream, thinking “All I can remember is so and so, I can’t remember anything from the dream.” Only to realize that ‘so and so’ was the dream once I opened my eyes.

It’s just a form of HH, nothing to worry about. It can take a few seconds to completely wake up. And again, it is entirely possible your eyes were open for half a second before you drifted back to sleep with the image of your mom watching TV still on your mind. Endless possibilities, but nothing to concern yourself over :smile:

HA HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA :smile:

Smeagol… that was good…!

happy, please try and keep your posts on topic.

On the subject, I think you either woke up with your mind fully concentrated on this dream, or you opened your eyes moments before truly waking, leaving the double view images imprinted over your vision for a moment.

Hm. I’ve had this happen, too. I think it really happens with those crazy intense dreams. I know with me I can feel things after my nightmares. Like once I woke thinking I had burnt my hand because it feel that bad. >_> And also, if I have a dream and am really groggy then I still see some images when I wake. Like when my mum use to wake me up I’d be like “I am up” but I’d still see my dream. It’d be kinda crazy.