Memories of dreams within dreams

You know what’s frustrating? Memories of other dreams within dreams and thinking that the other dreams were real life.

For instance, there is always a recurring mall in my dream. I swear it is almost identical each time I enter it. Whenever I am there in a dream, my dream self goes “Oh, I’ve been here before”, but what she means is she’s been there before in ANOTHER DREAM. She thinks that this place is actually real. This happens in all recurring areas of my dreams such as my high school (which always turns into an obstacle course near the back), my middle school (where I always get lost and find it strange that I’m attending classes there LOL), a long and winding road through the woods and near a creek (where I’m always riding my bike), etc.

Perhaps one day I’ll make a map of my dream world since I can easily remember what part is connected to what. That’s a good idea for another thread, but I’ll save that for later.

However, sometimes dreams of dream memories can be a blessing. Last night I had a dream I was playing a scary video game. As I played the game, I remembered another dream I had in which I was playing the SCARIEST EFFING VIDEO GAME EVER, but that was a part of another dream that I thought I had forgotten. Hooray! I remembered one of my strangest and most morbid dreams EVERRRRR.

Ok, I’m rambling now.

Do you guys ever remember dreams in other dreams? Does your dream self remember areas of other dreams and think they are real?

Yeah, I find those memories very frustrating, especially since they don’t help me realize I’m dreaming. I remember thinking “Hey, this place looks just like a place I dreamt about!” once while dreaming and just continued on with it anyway.

I also had a nightmare about a furby recently where I felt like it had happened before. I can’t really tell if it was a false memory or a memory of another dream.

OH MY GOD. I know, right?!

Bathrooms are my most common dream symbol. Often times I walk into them noticing how huge and dirty they are and go “Hey, this looks like the kind of bathroom that I dream about” and go merrily on my way without realizing that I’M ACTUALLY DREAMING. :cry:

Great timing for this sort of topic because the dreams I had last night involved recalling other dreams. This, plus my generally bed recall for the night, made it impossible for me to piece together a coherent dream after waking up. :grrr:

This happens to me a lot! I’ll see someone I never talk to or I’ll be someplace I’ve dreamt about, but I won’t put two and two together!

I’ve had this, well more like in some of my dreams, if I think back to the past like to remember something, it is like I have been there forever. Like a whole bunch of false memories. A history, of my dream self.

I had this experience recently (well, I have experienced this more than a few times). The dream involved visiting a cafe, but from another perspective in a different dream. It was such an odd sensation of being able to recognise everything but from another point of view, semi conscious of the fact that its all made up in my head, but not conscious enough to realise I am dreaming now!

Very frustrating - but interesting at the same time.

I am a musician and I often dream about writing a really cool song, only to forget most of it when I wake up - I can remember certain things though, like how the guitar sounded at a particular part etc. - and I remember trying to recreate the song from those details but failing. Then several years later, I can have a dream including the exact same song that I had completely forgotten I ever dreamt about in the first place! When I wake up I seem to recall about the same details as I did the first time, which is not enough to write anything cohersive based on.

The “awake” remembering aspect of this whole thing makes me beleive it’s not “dream deja vu” (false memories within the dream), however I don’t have any physical proof of my previous attemps to recreate the song in the past (I never wrote it down) so I can’t be sure that the awake memories aren’t false too!

This is really bending my mind right now, as I just woke up from that same very dream…