HYPOTHESIS: Lucid dreaming and hypnosis

You’re missing the point! I never have LDs and I cannot be hypnotized so I don’t fit the description…

I heard that people easy to hypnotize have ability to concentrate very hard on something and they don’t easily get distracted. I’m not sure how it is related to questioning reality in dreams…

After reading all above i guess theory goes opposite.People who have the ease with lds usually are good in concentration and are easy targets to hipnotise,either by someone or by themselves.Thats what i thought avtually.hmmm…

Two problems:

1. Not a large enough sample.
  2. This doesn’t have a justification.

Hehe you right R3mot.I was rather pointing direction than suggesting any theory at all:)
take care:)

Oh come on are you gonna take that from a 14 year old (supposedly virgin) when you’re the sex god? Well I guess the only way to end this battle is to take a big fat survey of the site… right? But let’s add another sample:
DM7>Can easily go into hypnosis at will>Can easily lucid dream at will

I was reading about hypnosis yesterday and found out that people do selfhypnosis many times every day. I you are driving a car and suddenly realise that you can’t really remember the past minutes. That’s a form of hypnosis that’s called highway hypnosis. Basically you go into a form of selfhypnosis everytime you do something repetitive where you don’t have to think. It’s just not a deep hypnosis. So it seems like everyone can be hypnotised. So r3m0t might be right to some extent. Atleast about dream logic. We are in a form of hypnosis when we sleep and our brain is giving the suggestions.

You know, reading these posts have given me an idea. For those of you who are good at self hypnosis perhaps you may wish to try this idea. By using a small cassette tape recorder to self hypnotize yourself to go to sleep , try to not fall asleep but concentrate on the hypnogogic images you see with your eyes closed.

Experienced self hypnotists will generally fall asleep rather quickly with a small recorder, but try to stay awake. What will happen is that the hypnosis will make you extremely tired but try not to lose consciousness. no matter how tired the hypnosis makes you, you may find yourself in a dream fully aware of it. An LD.

Incidentally there is nothing dangerous about hypnosis and nothing to be afraid of. It is only strong suggestion.

Also some brain wave meditatipn sleep or relaxation tapes may do the same thing. Most importantly , make sure that you’re at least a little tired when you try this. I have an idea that this method might work. I use self hypnosis everyday to take my naps . I fall asleep very quickly and always wake up feeling refreshed.

One more thing I would like to add. For those of you who are not experienced with self hypnosis, you may not fall asleep because you may be too nervous. Therefore you will remain awake during the entire tape. This is normal. Don’t let it bother you.

When you do self hypnosis every day, within a very short time you will be so used to it that you’ll fall asleep with it rather quickly. I predict no more than three sessions.

Most important is to use a small tape recorder. For this method it is mandatory.

Why a small tape recorder?

First of all, I use self hypnosis, and am pretty good with LD’s too.
However, I believe the glint of truth in the theory might be that if you are good at LDing, it would be easier for you to thwart a hypnotic suggestion if you wish to. Just a thought.

Remember that self hypnosis is completely voluntary, as is hypnosis… however a hypnotist can push you to your limits. If you are trained to be aware of yourself, you may find that you can cut that limit shorter.

About the idea of the casette tape, and going into an LD… I don’t use casettes, but I have often induced a wake-induced LD with self hypnosis.
Naturally, this can only happen with WB2B or something similar.

Normally my routine involves practicing DILD (my preference), then if I wake up early morning I will do a WB2B and self hypnosis. Under the self hypnosis I will tell myself how easy I find LDing, etc… as well as that dream characters will tell me that I’m dreaming

Thereafter I allow myself to imagine floating on a raft on the ocean. After a while of the sensation, I open my dream eyes, and find myself in an LD.
Unfortunately, the sensation of my physical body tends to distract me with these sorts of LD’s, but its better than none at all for the night.

This theory looks logical, but I’m not sure it could be proven here.
Hypnosis uses the same mechanism, that “switches off” our criticism during the dream. So people, who have many natural LDs, must have this mechanism less active, so they can also be not hypnotizable. But all methods of voluntary inducing LDs include some form of hypnosis or self-hypnosis. So highly hypnotizable people will have more LDs, too. These two opposite rules will result in zero correlation, or even negative correlation, because more people practice LDing at will, than often have them unexpectedly.

r3m0t, interesting theory.

I fall into the camp of people who are only slightly hypnotizable, but I’ve had modest success with lucid dreaming over the years.

I think people skilled at RCing and DILDs would be the types of people with skeptical minds who have trouble with hypnosis. Maybe people who are great hypnotic subjects would do better with WILD’s.

I’ve found r3m0t post very interesting. I’ve some comments to add about some points :

• about rational explanations of unrational actions. It’s related with lack of communication between the brain hemispheres, for instance, it can be scientifically observed when a corpus callosum dammage exists. Some experiments have be done with hysteric or accidentally lobotomized people, similar to those related by r3m0t with hypnotized people.
  • about hypnosis, self hypnosis. Hypnosis, self hypnosis, autosuggestion are basically the same phenomenon. As Placebo says, “self hypnosis is completely voluntary, as is hypnosis… however a hypnotist can push you to your limits.” And I would say that people are hypnotized many times a day : when driving a car, looking at the TV or a fire, etc. Hypnosis is just a relaxed state in which your consciousness threshold is lower than usual.
  • about dreamsigns which don’t trigger lucidity : I’ve made some exercices about that, wondering why I didn’t realize it was a dream. This can be done only when you just wake up and remember a dream, thus dream feelings and emotions are still present. I realized that I prefered to experience a dream situation rather than understanding it was an illusion, because I liked the emotion related to. IMO, the false explanation you can give after that is just a justification of your choice.

everybody can be hypnotised it just takes longer to go under the influence of hypnosis than others. :cool:

I dunno about that. I can put my friend into a trance using a pocketwatch in a matter of minutes, but my GF cannot be hypnotised, and I’ve tried about 2 or three techniques too. That doesn’t mean to say they cannot use self hynosis though, I’ve found that self hynosis and hypnosis by a second part are actually quite different.
Only about 10 % of the population is truely deeply hypnotizable anyway.

Your talking about the Criticul Faculty. The thing is, Hypnosis doesn’t use this, it turns it off, so that you’re more open to suggestion. In this light, posthypnotic suggestion mya be quite powerful for inducing LDs.
What you said about people who LD occasionally who have a lowered criticul faculty is a bit premature.
I would say that a person who LDs at will has a very active Criticul Faculty, and person who can LD from time to time’s would be a little less active, and a person who cannot LD or only LDs occasionally would have the Criticul Faculty with the lowest degree of activation…during REM sleep that is :wink:

:shy: Maybe, first of all it was premature to post anything at such an intellectual forum without even knowing the language well… But sorry, isn’t it what I said? “During the dream”… “During REM sleep”… Hey, what’s the difference? :wink:

Thanks cool, language barriers can be a drag :content: I got the jest of what you were saying anyway, I just wanted to offer what I knew as well :smile:

:smile:

I have to be flat out honest, but I use self hypnosis to get into lding, so I think your theory must just apply to some people. Big thinking, though!