Question on Dream Recall

Err. I dunno how to explain this really, it’s odd. I’ve always been able to recall dreams pretty well, but for some reason it seems like my dreams all last anywhere from a few hours to a whole day. I mean, in dream time. Which is weird because I have a friend who only has dreams for a few minutes. Like today I slept for an hour and dreamed of a whole day, and remembered it all. I mean, the sun didn’t come up/go down, but I knew it was a whole day. Is that normal? Has anyone else remembered dreams of whole days?
Also, now that I’m getting into the practice of remembering dreams, it seems I’m remembering dreams from ages ago, every time I see a sign. Like, I know how memory is instigated with signs but I’m remembering dreams more then RL. XD Like, I have a pretty good dream memory; I can remember a dream I had last year but not what I was doing last year. But is it strange that I’ll see something (like a house) and remember a dream I had to do with said house, a year ago?
I dunno. Maybe I’m just odd. :eek:

Your mind plays tricks on you when you dream, often giving you the illusion that you’ve dreamed for a lot longer than you have.

The most common phenomena are memory gaps. You may think you remembered the whole day, down to the last minute, but there are probably mental “illusions” that have made that happen. In many, dreams, for instance, you’ll randomly start off in, say, a desert. But HOW you got to that desert won’t be a part of your memory, but it might still feel like you must have traveled for weeks to get there. Keep in mind that dream time and real time run parallel.

Remembering dreams from a long time ago is somewhat uncommon, so I would count myself lucky if you can remember that sort of stuff. :smile:

I would say you have a natural knack for recalling dreams, which is good for lucid dreaming of course.

Hm. Sometimes it feels like my dreams are chained, ish. Like I had one dream and at the end of it someone came to take me to somewhere else, and the place he took me was another dream, and then I followed someone else in that dream to another place. But yeah, I know that dreams last longer then real time. You have on average 100 dreams per night so yeah. :tongue:
Yeah, I don’t get what’s with my memory. I heard that dreams are stored in short term memory and forgotten after a really short while. But it’s like, two days ago when I was writing down the dream I had that night before, I was writing something like “we were at this hotel we had been at in one of my other dreams”. But then, I was thinking, “hey I know I wrote that dream down somewhere” and I looked for it and couldn’t find it. But it was kind of odd how that dream in the past was as clear as day to me.
lol And it would be good for lucid dreaming if I would actually snap to and remember my dream signs while dreaming. -_-

Surely you are on the good path :content: Keeping up with good recall means identifying events as dreams more successfully. So with time, one can develop the ability to recognize dreams by similarity , it happens quite the number of times to me ^^
Just remember to be on the watch, you never know when it could really be a dream :wink:

lol I’m thankful the one thing that has never appeared in my dreams is my house or room or bed. So let’s hope it doesn’t and I won’t be confused :wink:

Except. I have heaps of dream signs that I never pick up on. Like most of my dreams take place in either a green place or a variant of my high school. And it’s been like that for years and I still don’t pick up on it. I wonder if I’m just too comfortable with everything that goes on in my dreams. O_o

My dream recall isn’t great (partly due to my laziness when it comes to DJing), but sometimes I’ll suddenly remember a dream that happened a few days or longer ago. Sometimes I’ll even recall dreams from years ago, but that’ really uncommon for me.

I think I get what you mean by dream-chaining. I often have trouble in the morning figuring out where one dream ends and the other begins.

Oh yeah, I get that bit. Although I don’t often chain consciously, I do occasionally have those streaks of dreams where I have no idea what’s what.

Sometimes they move into one another so fluidly that I really don’t know if they’re separate or not. And some dreams I just know are one despite tons of scene shifts etc simply because of my uninterrupted “dream awareness.” But usually those long dreams tend to be more vivid and easily remembered than the fragmented dreams that chain into each other. At least for me.

That’s usually how I tell 'em apart. That and the awareness thing.

right. i at the end of one dream i crossed a field beside my house, i woke up before i left out the other side. after i woke up i fell asleep again and i was leaving exactly that direction with someone i knew, is that what you mean?

my dream recall also takes me back to remembering long lost dreams while in WL… more than real memories.

It’s not “normal”, it’s “better than normal”… Maybe we all spend a day’s worth of time dreaming every night, and just recall the last little bit… Your recall being way above average. Just a thought.

In any case, a whole lucid day in the dream world would be amazing – hope you get one!

I politely disagree with this statement… :crazy: :tongue:

If you take a scientific-ish view that dreams occur strictly in your own mind (which is like a computer), there’s no reason your mind couldn’t simply speed up… Running twice as fast would cram twice as much hallucinogenic experience into the same amount of time.

If you take a mystical-ish view that dreams occur in some other dimension or reality, there’s no reason why time in that realm would need to coincide with our own.

lol Nice theory, Dunlar. Dreams existing in a different dimension, that’s one I haven’t heard before but very interesting.

Also, funnily enough, before sleeping I’ll be like “I’ll remember my dream” and only say it once or twice, and wake remembering one or two dreams. Apparently my subconcious must like me because it stores the dreams in a pretty long term memory bank. Or well, between short and long. XD It’s pretty awesome