LD4all Book Club: [Ishmael by Daniel Quinn]

Hey guys thanks for the interest :smile:

In regards to books, I was thinking that anything goes really, both fiction or non-fiction. I’ve got a couple of ideas for when it’s my turn. I suppose the only limit is that they need to be relatively easy to get hold of in all of the countries the members are from, but other than that anything at all.

Hey this sounds great! I definitely want to be a part of this :smile:

Yeah, alright, I’ll join up.

I love reading, I’m in

Welcome to the book club! :smile:

I suppose we better start deciding what book we’re going to read first. What are everyone’s thoughts on how we should do this?

My origional idea was for everyone to take turns recommending a book. I’m open to other ways if people would prefer something different though.

Maybe voting on a specific genre and then picking the book from there would be a nice idea, just saying :smile:

Didn’t we (and by we, i mean other people. I never participated, unfortunately) used to do this? I believe so, but hey, ressurrecting the idea is always good.

I’m in, of course. This would give me much more motivation to actually read (I’ve been trying to power through books i’m not interested in, in an effort to read everything. Sort of a daunting task, yes.)

I want to join in too. I hope (just like many other people here) this gets me reading more. :content:

Welcome Win Laik Pya and Puce

Yeah that’s an idea, or maybe anyone who wants to could suggest a book and we could vote on which one to read.

I think daunting task is a bit of an understatement :tongue:

I can’t remember it being done before, but you could be right. I had a quick search for any old topics but couldn’t find anything, maybe there’s something in the archives?

probably. “didn’t we do something before?” was the polite way of saying “we did this before”-- not that it’s bad we’re bringing it back!

I’d look for it, but i can’t for the life of me remember what it was called.

You’re right. We used to have the “reading circle” whichfrom the Circle of Sound is a spinoff. I remember I hosted The Hobbit and Ficciones. :yes:

Genre, huh? I’m game for philosophy and literature; within literature I’d prefer drama and prose, as my rhythm with poetry books wouldn’t quite fit the purpose of the topic. And I sure can propose books once we decide on what the hell we’re going to read. :happy:

I’m partial to sci-fi myself (in a mood for some recently). Not the pulp authors, though. I mean some Dick, Asimov, or if we’re playing fast and loose with the term “sci-fi,” Vonnegut (I myself would love to re-read Timequake. mmm… Timequake…)

I’d be interested in joining this, I’ve been reading a lot lately an need something new to read…

Anyone enjoy post apocalyptic lit? I hear ‘The Road’ is an excellent novel.

The Road is pretty fantastic, but a little slow at times (not that it’s a problem.)

as far as post apocalyptic goes, i always recommend The Dark Tower for that regard, if you can can’t it (you totally can)!

Can we have zombies? :}

I never read World War Z (i heard good things), and The Zombie Survival Guide was entertaining AND Educational!

so short answer: yeah!

Hey just a quick suggestion:

When we finally decide on a specific book to read, can the original poster note it in the first post? That way I don’t have to be browsing the whole thread to find which book is the current one. Thanks :happy:

lol ok got ya :smile:

Yep, we better get deciding! :tongue:

Ok, I’ve thought about it and I think the best way to choose the first book would be for anyone who wants to suggest a book to do so, and then we can vote on which one to read first. We might do something different for future books, but I think this’ll be a good way to start.

Genre… anything, absolutely anything, either fiction or non-fiction. It can be fantasy, classics, horror, crime, sci-fi, (the aforementioned) zombies, philosophy, science, political, religious/atheist … any book at all that you think is good and that other people might enjoy reading, from the Lord of the Rings to the Mating Habbits of the Common Garden Bee :tongue: .

So maybe if we have until midday thursday gmt (i.e. 3 days from this post) to suggest books and then we can vote on them. When suggesting a book it’d be good if you put the title and a quick sentence to say what it’s about. :smile:

Great idea!!

Alright, then I’ll just throw in a suggestion to get things started.

It’s White Fang by Jack London. It’s a short novel first published in 1906.

It’s about a wolfdog, named White Fang, born in the wild and later introduced to civilization. It compares the animal and human worlds while also delving into issues of loyalty and morality.

It’s not too difficult to read, relatively short, very cheap to get (can even be read for free online as it no longer falls under copyright law) and in my opinion very entertaining. Some parts of it can even be a little philosophical and/or educational. Other than that, it’s also just a very nice story. :smile:

as long as we’re suggesting things, here’s one i’d love to re-read: Illusions by Richard Bach

again, it’s short and pretty easy to read. It’s massively entertaining, highly philosophical, and downright fun. I believe it’s still under copyright law, so a trip to the local library would be in order.