i think ive just had my first lucid dream...whooo hoo

no they looked normal shape except i had a finger growing from my middle finger
plus every body has the ability to swim or read or write or fly an aircraft (and just in case you say everybody cant read ect. they have the ability its just the widespread methods of learning dont work for everybody) … but not everybody can do it right now can they… the glass is always half empty for you isnt it

i do believe STRONGLY that EVERYBODY has the ability to be aware of their dreams, 1st not everybody wants to do it 2nd not everybody has even heard of it 3rd not everybody is aware of the scale of LD and 4th everybody learns to LD in different ways, the biggest way for LD`s to work from what i have learned so far is belief and so far every post you have sent me is negative and tells people that they probably cant do it.

plus, everything you have said to me like “there’s no way to progress you will either have them or not” is FALSE. and “if your not an insomniac you cant LD” again is FALSE, i come here like everybody else for help and inspiration and up to now you have done the complete opposite, maybe you have had over 2000 LD`s but maybe its more natural for you, that does not mean you are part of some select few, being aware of your dreams is not rocket science. AND I HAVE JUST PROVED THAT!!!

edit: one thing you have said has rung true… i was in light sleep last night and this could have well caused the LD but as other people have told me they have had LD`s and are heavy sleepers

PLEASE ARNE TELL ME WHY YOU THINK YOUR RIGHT, I KEEP ASKING YOU BUT YOU JUST KEEP COMING OUT WITH NEW BULLCRAP STATEMENTS INSTEAD OF SAYING WHY YOU COME TO SUCH UNFOUNDED BELIEFS…PLEASE ANSWER HERE SO EVERYBODY CAN SEE AND, TELL ME IF YOUR RIGHT (I SOMEHOW HIGHLY DOUBT IT).

and thank you dB_FTS :wink:

congrats on first LD RODDERS790!! :happy:

Now wait a minute, I didn’t say that only insomniacs will EVER have an LD.

People who are not insomniacs will probably never have one, but that doesn’t cover everyone.

And remember, I’ve had over 2,000, and you’ve had one. So maybe you should wait till you get to about, oh, maybe 20 or so before you start to tell me all about them.

Lots of people in my Yahoo Group have had a few right off the bat and then never had another one, and several years have now gone by for them. Maybe you’ll be different from them. But maybe not.

yes you did ^^^ and the info i am arguing about comes from experienced “common knowledge” dreamers not me. and once again you have come out with another empty comment.

please tell me why these statements are true

1, But realize that lucid dreaming is all about light sleep. If you don’t have a tendency towrd insomnia, you’ll probably never have one.

2.Also, be aware that if your regular dreams tend to be unpleasant, then your lucid dreams will too.

3The thing is, you’re not going to gradually get more and more lucid, with the dreams lasting longer and longer. That idea of “progress” is wrong. You’re going to to have lucid dreams or you’re not.

these are your statements

Congratulations !

thank you OYABIN

ppl am i wrong in thinking what arne has said to me is incorrect, because i am sure that what little i have learned so far tells me this. im not trying to argue with people here or prove anyone wrong for my own ego, its just that, other people starting out or enquiring about LDs might just think they are unable to do this without even trying just because they dont fit a certain category, and the only other reason i made a point about it to arne is i have asked him a few times as to why his statements are true, but he wont answer me he just tells me how skilled he is and that he has a yahoo group. plus he tells us hes had over 2000 LDs but he says he stoped counting at roughly 1300, so if he is not counting them how does he know its over 2000, that is some outrageous guestimate(but thats besides the point) i have read a few of his post and nearly all of what i have read seem to be negative and will just put people off.

maybe its just me that needs to shut my mouth, and if i am wrong i will give arne my humblest appolagies

Argg, the wall of text. Anyway, Congrats, may many more come to you, ect.

On the topic of insomniac lucid dreamers, I don’t think this is the case. A lucid dream may come more easily in light sleep, but that doesn’t mean that people without insomnia will be forever lucidless.

Yeah, that doesn’t seem like a strong connection. I’m not a pro, but I sleep very soundly and though i’ve only just started to be lucid I do have very vivid dreams and good recall. My friends are more often lucid, but are sound sleepers as well. I don’t really see the evidence, and, I definitely did not have the dream depth I do now before I started using a journal/other techniques, so, I think gradual buildup does play a role.

And they’re all true.

You probably won’t have a lucid dream unless you have a tendency toward insomnia. That doesn’t mean you definitely won’t.

The tone of your normal dreams and your lucid dreams will be just the same. Now, you’re going to get wildly exited the first few times you have one, but that’ll wear off, and they’ll start to become like your normal dreams, except that you’ll be lucid.

And as far as “progress” goes, well, as a matter of fact I had the longest LD of my life just last week. But they’re not getting steadily longer, or occurring with increasing frequency. I’ve just learned how to stay asleep instead of waking up. Their frequency isn’t like a line that slopes upward. It’s more like a wave function, with peaks where you have them and troughs where you don’t.

You’re not wrong at all, in my opinion. And I do agree with all the negativity being unecessary. I’ve seen WritersCube say over and over and over that anyone can LD, and from my experience, I agree completely. I’m guessing the people that stay so many years without a LD or aren’t motivated enough or just keep trying the same things, without actually exploring how they fall asleep and dream to find out what works best for them. Some might argue with me and say “but I’ve given all techniques a try! I’ve spent a month on each and still didn’t get lucid!”. Well, that’s still trying the same thing. Different techniques aren’t working so I’d say what has to be changed is beyond techniques. :tongue: There are so many people out there that take a long time to get lucid simply because they are too stubborn and only want to try out WILD, even though we all say it’s not recommended for beginners…

I’m sorry, but this makes even less sense :neutral: I am not an insomniac (and if I’m not mistaken the great majority of the comunity here isn’t either) and I’ve had plenty of LD’s. In fact, I had terrible insomnia last night (drank a bit too much coffee :rofl:) and had no LD’s and zero dream recall. I do see your point though, but even an insomniac has to learn to keep the mind aware and the body asleep. Someone without insomnia has to learn to keep the mind even more awake. Both sides have to practice and learn, just differently.

Well, I stopped counting my LD’s at 500, and I’ve seen many people that have had 10-20 that have had longer and better LD’s than me. So, with all due respect, numbers don’t mean that much to me. And to be frank, that’s not the best way to get your point across. :wink: Experience itself means more to me, but quality of experience, not quantity. I’ve learned a lot with my 500+ LD’s, but only a few special dreams really tought me something. You never know what you can learn in that one dream.

Lucid Dreaming is a highly personal and subjective skill. One technique (or mindset, or food, or whatever) can give one person a 100% chance to get lucid, but it might not work at all with anyone else. So the real hard work isn’t trying out all techniques, or watching every single LD’ing video or tutorial, it’s simply dreaming and learning from yourself.

Spinning doesn’t usually help me stabilize the dream (I usually wake up, so I use hand rubbing), but I don’t go around saying that spinning isn’t a good technique for dream stabilization. Most people say it’s impossible to read in dreams, but I’ve seen a handfull of people that don’t have a problem with it…

Almost forgot! congrats on the freakishly cool LD! :woo:

This seems pretty preposterous. I’d like to see any data you have that reflects this. Forgive me if i’m putting the burden of proof on you, but -you’re- the one making the claim. Check some of Laberge’s data–i’m sure you’ll find that he took a very random sample of people, not just insomniacs.

Also note that many people experience insomnia once or twice in their life, they don’t have to have frequent insomnia.

Finally, and i don’t speak for any mods here–only myself, but i think it’s a pretty bad idea for people in the community to be negative like that. Being discouraged yourself isn’t so bad, but actively telling users that can’t do soemthing or probably won’t be able to doesn’t help build the community at all–it only drives people away. I feel most people here like to take the stance that anyone can do it if they try hard enough. Some people get it faster than others, but that doesn’t make them better or worse as people, and it certainly doesn’t mean we want them to stop trying.

(TL:DR)
Congrats on your first lucid dream !

But, just in case you don’t know, WILD works best in the morning (that would be a WBTB) or after a nap. It is nearly impossible to have a WILD in the evening. It’s likely to cause insomnia if you try too hard (this might be why you couldn’t sleep until 3am).

So all the thousands and thousands of people who have been trying for years and years to have a lucid dream and still haven’t had one just haven’t been trying hard enough?

Really? Where is any “data” that backs up this preposterous statement?

Lucidity in dreaming is something that occurs very close to the waking state. That’s why most of your LDs will end with your waking up.

Now, deep sleep isn’t close to the waking state, is it? But light sleep is close to the waking state, isn’t it?

Connect the dots. It’s not complicated.

I don’t see how that proves your point about people who try to have an LD and can’t for years. Sure that may be true. And do you know these thousands and thousands of people? As mattias said, maybe they just haven’t found something that works for their individual selves on a regular basis. It happens.

yes, really. Where is the data?

Circumstantial evidence like “i’ve had 2000 lucid dreams so i know” and “a bunch of people try and don’t succeed, trust me!” doesn’t fly with me, unfortunately.

thank you everybody, i thought i was digging my own grave at one point.

and arne where have you carried out this research, do you know of thousands and thousands people, and have they all said to you that they cant LD because of their insomnia, and if all these people did say this to you, then who told them that its insomnia that’s causing this,

if this was true then this would already be common knowledge

besides thinking you have more knowledge than me is wrong also, i, like every other person on the planet has been dreaming my whole life and taking note of them, just because i was not aware that i could control them does not make me less educated. i found out about three weeks ago that this was a possibility and already i have achieved this with very little knowledge of this fact

also you say you cant progress, but in the same statement you mention learning…learning is progress. you cannot have one without the other.

and from what i have learned is that LD is not an exact science and different things work for different people. so how can you say what is really what.

i personally don’t think it is a question of trying hard, more like, trying the right thing, so it enters your sc or attention properly

and thank you every body for your POSITIVE feedback, and your congrats!

/me hugs RODDERS790.

You’re very welcome, and keep up the good work on the LDs! Don’t think you’re digging your own grave; LDs can be and are rewarding! We’re always here to help when you need it!

Signed,

• Queen Victoria… I mean Vera. :rofl:

When people sleep they go through cycles of light and deep sleep. REM sleep (where dreaming occurs) is the lightest type of sleep. No matter how deeply or lightly someone sleeps, when they are in REM sleep everyone is in a light sleep. (Source: Sleepfaring by Professor Jim Horne).

Lucidity is not about the body being close to being awake. It can happen at any stage of an REM cycle, not just towards the end where we’re likely to wake up afterwards. Our brains have an in built reality checking function which we use when we’re awake. In dreams, this is switched off. Gaining lucidity is simply a matter of finding a method to switch it back on.

The exception doesn’t disprove the rule. You can always find an exception to everything.

I’ve had LDs in the middle of the night where I didn’t wake up at the end. But 95 percent of them have occurred when I was about to wake up. In fact, by far the biggest problem with LDs, after having one the first place, is managing to stay asleep.

It’s meaningful to say such things. It’s not meaningful to point to an exception as if to proclaim that the rule doesn’t count.

Congratulations! I remember my first lucid dream a little over one and a half years ago :twirl: