Thinking your dream was real and being sad when you wake up

Yes I think it’s the one disadvantage of aiming for good dream recall. When my grandma died a few years ago then I had quite a few dreams where I found that she was actually alive, and was really really happy, and then woke up to remember that she’d died :sad:

It happens to me a lot of times ,last one was last day I think.

when i was a child, i dreamt i got this really futuristic (even by today’s standards) motor bike, i was super exited in my dream and really thought it was real, till i woke up, im still getting over it :wink:

Iv’e won the lottery once in a dream…

Iv’e also had a dream where I wake up thinking I don’t have school, then waking up again to find out I have it. :cry:

I had a very pleasant dream this last night, which made me feel both energized and sad at the same time.
I was flirting with a beautiful 40-year-old cashier at a small store (I’ve always thought 40-year-old women are so damn attractive, and the age difference 24/40 makes it feel really forbidden and exciting).
She had absolutely gorgeous eyes and smile too, so eye contacts were extremely long all the time we talked - then just as we were getting together (lots of physical contact and that magical moment when both parties know it’s time to kiss, etc), I woke up. :tongue:

I had that happen before. I was dreaming that there was a zombie apocalypse. My younger brother got bitten by a zombie and I had to stab him in the head a few times to protect some other people. I was sad when I woke up.

I get this when it’s about a guy or an ex I still like :sad: a lot of the time I don’t remember my dream as soon as I wake up, but during the day something reminds me of it and I have that sad/let-down feeling come over me.

I know exactly what you’re talking about. But, even though I’m kind of sad when I wake up, I still am very happy about having the dream. See, my girl lives 2000 miles away. So, since I can’t see her in real life, I can never wait to see her in a dream. Just seeing her face makes me so happy, whether it’s really her or not.

Anyway, if you wake up sad from normal dreams, will you ever try to be with the person you like in lucid dreams. Will that make you sad, too?

Ah, yes…happened a lot more before though. I tend to have dreams of being with this one guy I really liked before, it would feel amazing…really happy, waking up really ruins my mood, cause before I’ve been trying to forget him and I was doing pretty good, but my mind would always bring him back somehow.
Doesn’t happen anymore though :tongue:.

It happens to me all the time and it’s so annoying! I hate when it happens. :sad:

That’s happened to me a lot. :sad: Not fun, at all.

I used to have dreams like that ALL the time; until I started focusing on better dream recall… now I just have more real, far-fetched dreams…

It’s happens to me after I dreamed about Anima, and when one time I dreamed I played into the movie back to the futur. I was sad when I woke up haha…

Wow, I totally had one of those days today :tongue:

I’ve certainly had a variety of dreams that leave me sad when I wake up. Especially the first time I traveled overseas without my family. For the first few weeks I had dreams almost every night of rather normal content. But in each dream I was with my family at home just hanging out, and sometimes we would be eating food. I’d wake up convinced that I was in my own room and could go downstairs to see my family. But after a few seconds I would remember where I was which always me really sad. I only had one day of homesickness though, when I had nothing else to do. No surprise that my homesickness manifested itself in dreams. Thankfully they went away.

I’ve had dreams where I’m shopping, or I get this one item I’ve really been coveting, and I’m holding it in my arms, but as I wake up I feel it vanish. as a child I would have lucid dreams where I was holding the thing that I wanted, and was convinced that if I held onto it tight enough it would be there when I woke up. no such luck. it’s so cute how we believe in magical things like that as a kid.

I sometimes dreamt of being dead or rather living as a spirit in the afterlife.
The feeling of happiness and freedom I felt there made every awakening
a very sad moment.

This happens a lot to me, but in a slightly different way: all my dreams are very realistic, but unfortunately I have more nightmares than good dreams and I often wake up feeling sad because it takes some time for me to realize it was a dream and not reality. It may take only 10 seconds or so but the mood tends to stay for a couple hours, weird huh?

Ah, those dreams seem to happen once or twice a year. Though it’s hard to think of anything specific, I know for a fact they happen to me and I always feel so disappointed/sad when they end.

I remember when I was about 8, I had a dream that I was a Jedi. I was incredibly depressed when I woke. Now, those “why-wasn’t-it-real” dreams are more realistic.