Flying Failures

I’m interested to know what some of people’s most interesting or amusing failures at flying are. Flying is one of the things that most people try to do during an LD, but some dream control isn’t so reliable. At one point, I was in an extremely stable LD that took place in a small park. I closed my eyes (risky thing to do, but my dream kept stability) and told myself that when I opened them, I’d be ten feet in the air… I opened my eyes, and a giant wave washed through the park, lifting me ten feet into the air and then depositing me on the ground again.

You win, dream. You win.

Hy Veloki, I have to say that I had about 10~12 LD, and in 4 of them I would fly. And like you said almost everybody wants to fly, and I’m one of them, but ever since I remember I would fly in my dreams, whether lucid or not. I never had problems with that, and maybe somebody have a problem flying because thinking too much about it. In my last LD I just wanted to be on a roof of a garage (don’t ask why :smile: ), and I just flew there, so try thinking more on how to use flying, not about flying itself, if that have any logic! :happy:

Peace!

I don’t know. I would consider flying one of the first and easiest hurtles in LDing. I have chronic problems controlling my dreams, but flying still comes easily.

I’ve had 1 flying LD, I simply just thought. “I want to fly” and I flew straight off the bow of a boat only to wake up seconds later.

Ha, ha ! :happy: You are very creative :smile:. I’d like such a dream !

:tongue: That is - you win ! :smile:

Really depends on how clear the lucidity is for me. Most of the time I either land on my face when jumping up and trying to fly, or I will fly well for a moment, then slowly drift to the ground while frantically flapping my arms trying to get higher.

I have a problem with getting higher while flying, I can do a superman type of flying, or bird flying, and I just cant sustain it. That’s pretty much only with low level lucidity, when I am completely lucid, I fly like a pro.

I really wish I had advice. I have never had flying issues, so i don’t know what works and what doesn’t. All I can really say is that its about the same as walking. Maybe you’re failing because you have it in mind that you’re ‘trying’ to fly. I don’t think about how to do it. I just do it. Move in the direction you wish to go. Don’t think about left-foot, right-foot. Also, I don’t affiliate flying with my arms at all. Thinking about it, I don’t really associate it with any source.

I’m beginning to wonder if too much control can result in a lack of control. If you control your dreams, maybe the dream starts to become reliant on what you, and your beliefs and understandings of your own reality. You know you can’t fly, so your dream follows suit.

Very interesting if not scary theory! I never thought about it that way.

For me I have always believed it to be a confidence thing. If you truly believe you can fly, it will happen. If there is even the slightest doubt, (for me at least) it wont happen.

You should also try looking into the different methods of flying. Some methods work better for others. For me the superman/peter pan version of flying has always worked the best. I almost always fly the second I reach lucidity, just because that’s the first thing I can think to do…
I have tried the “swimming in air” method before, but it was way too slow for me, and I kept sinking lower and lower to the ground.

Good luck and I hope you can find a way to fly! :content:

Same here, but scratch ‘ff the bow of a boat’ and fill in ‘out of a room’

Anyway I did once have a funny flying experience in a ND. I was walking in my neighbourhood and then a strong wind picked me up and had me flying along at great speed. I eventually ended up in the top of the 50 foot tree right in front of my house (that tree is really there IRL but the top probably wouldn’t be able to support my weight). I then climbed down but when I was on the street again I saw that I left my backpack up in the tree and the rest of the dream was me trying to get my bag back.