Would you be diffrent?

Now this is something Ive allways wondred. Do you think that you, would still be you as in being aware as you are now of your excistance if your moher, or father concived you with another person. I know you would be diffrent, but would you still be you? I know you cant answer that, but Id still like your thoughts on it.Or is it impossible for you to not exsist, which opens up a whole new can of thought. Think about it? How is it possible to not excist as you do now, or at all. Which allso makes you think of the collective consiousness. Man I want to go deeper into this, but Im not sure how. Someone give me a push if you know what Im talking about.

I didn’t understand exactly what do you mean… may you explain it again?

Hmmm… interresting. Looking at it from a completely rational, biological science kinda way I’d say you’d be a different person, as you are defined by your DNA which would be different. Looking at it that way you could be a different person if a different spermcel of your father had won the swimming contest…

But somehow I don’t like looking at it that way. I don’t know why but part of me wants to look at it in a more spiritual way; that there is more to your personality than some base-pairs in a spiralling string… Part of me wants to draw a line between body and, for lack of a better word, ‘soul’. Looking at it that way you could still be ‘You’. That would raise the question where does your ‘soul’ come from? Mother, father or from a different source than your parents?

Of course all nurture traits would probably be different being raised by a different set of parents, but I take it you’re talking nature here?

Simple answer … No. The opportunity for you to exist would be gone.
The child would only have half your DNA and also the way it was brought up would be different.

Conception is so random that you probably wouldnt even exist if at any point during or after conception your mother would have coughed or turned around. So no

It is a very interesting question Kava, which I quite often ask myself, I confess.

Of course we are forced to admit that we would be different from what we are in our current lives today, considering our apperances/bodies at less…

However, does it inevitably means that we would “not exist”?

“Not existing”, we wouldn’t be able to be aware / conscious of our non being, and that’s the point to my mind. :tongue:

From a certain point of view, I think it is not possible for a former “existing mind” to die, that is to say, not to exist anymore. In other words, I tend to believe our mind/soul is something like immortal.

It is quite hard for me to explain exactly what I think because I would need some frenche words to precise my thoughs, … and I am not sure to fully understand myself (what I think). Forgive me, I am french :tongue:

Edit: to join your point of view, I could also answer that our souls/minds would be part of something like the “collective consciensness”, meaning we still would exist, but in another way / a different appearance.

Hmm, Hmm. Past-life

Why do we feel it? Because we are the same spirit in a different body. Why don’t you meet your past life in a LD.