My Theory: Peace is important for lucid dreaming

Hi all,

sorry for the lurid title, I just couldn’t think of anything simpler :smile: I haven’t had an LD myself yet, but from my experiences and from what I read here on the forum, I got the following impressions and would like to get your opinion:

1. If you want to get lucid dreams, you have to be relaxed and at peace with your current life. If you are stressed or worrying, you won’t be LDing. It’s like your SC saying “Before you get fancy, put things straight in RL!”
    -> Peace in RL

2. When you start to get the first lucid dreams, instead of trying to mess around, you should take your time and acclimatise to your new surroundings. It’s like being in a foreign country or a group of people you don’t yet know. If you decide to just do whatever you want, you might scare your SC which in turn will try to get you out of the LD, either by taking away lucidity or by makinig you wake up.
    -> Peace with your SC

So what do you think? :smile:

With this one I’m not too sure. I was once under a lot of pressure at work and very stressed. I got really fed up and ‘decided’ to have an LD that night, so I could relax a bit I guess. I had 2 LDs that night.

I think here I part agree. I think its a good idea to ‘acclimatise’ and try to stabilise the dream. I’m not sure I agree that its because otherwise your SC might get scared, from my perspective you are your SC. For me its more about cementing your awareness than going easy on your SC. I have had some very epic NDs including being stood at the epicentre of a nuclear blast and flying around viewing earth from space, my SC can easily deal with whatever I throw at it, the issue is, accepting that. I had this problem last night and destabilised a FLD because I expected it would destabilise.

Interesting, so perhaps it works differently for different people. For me, I’m quite sure that it works this way. Even my dream recall is strongly affected. When I am worrying a lot while trying to go to sleep, normally I can’t recall a single dream. When I’m relaxed on the other hand, I can easily recall three or more dreams per night.

I think, you partly misunderstand what I was trying to say here. I meant that you shouldn’t try to take total control of the dream world right away w/o knowing how it works. Also, the SC creates dreams to tell you things, so you shouldn’t ignore this part totally … or am I over-analysing? :smile:

I would agree with both. If I’m too busy with other stuff I cant concentrate on the intention to lucid dream or recall at all, resulting in much less lucid dreams. Also I’ve noticed this week that being a little ill also doesnt help.

I agree with both, and I think they are linked.

How do you think they are linked? Stress in your RL doesn’t have to do anything with how your relationship with your SC is, does it?

I think bad days provokes nightmares / bad dreams, and to respect one another, dreams has a huge influence on our everyday behaviours.

Have you never noticed the change in your day life when you are in a very lucid period in your dreams? To my mind, it is clear that LD permits to “unveil our IRL sight”, to wake up our mind (sorry I don’t know how to better express my thought)

I think it only affects LD’ing negatively because stress takes up a lot of your mind, attention-wise. When I’m under stress I get in bed and it’s simply impossible to keep my mind focused on LD’s and any suggestions I give myself don’t seem to stick as easily.

Although, I like dragon’s method of using stress as a motivation to get a LD as a reward. :tongue: Now that I think of it I think I may have done it in the past as well.

Well there is still a bit of debate on what dreams actually are, and it seems to depend on what you believe. I guess my perspective is slightly different to yours and that is sort of what I was saying. I see dreams as the result of a special type of thinking. There is no SC creating dreams for you in my perspective, you are the one creating the dreams, its just your awareness is on the output of the process and not the process itself, if that makes sense. For me messages read in dreams like this are essentially ideas that you have had when sleeping, and not mystical answers from your SC for example.

I’d agree; when your mind and life is in a state of peace/balance, it is much easier to be aware/focused, and have lucid dreams.

I could say this is partly correct but for different reasons… I think when you are at peace with your life, you tend to explore more in your spiritual self…I am suggesting that now, you can do more reality checks, think more about subjectivity of reality and anticipate more about lucid dreams…
Alongside the dream recall faces serious setback when waking life gets messed up…Its like you open up your eyes and suddenly feel burdened by the responsibilities of waking life…That and you take lucid dreaming as a runaway-scheme which suppresses your belief in lucid dreaming in the fist place…
Stress can still help to make you lucid but the stabilization of dreams definitely needs some peaceful take on the self and waking life…

Peace in waking life, can immensely help you to get at peace with your subconscious… And I am not sure if there is any other way…

So the thing is…you need peace…
Well that’s quite easy then, I guess… :tongue: :grin:

Excellent thought…I totally get your idea…And I think you are very right…
Its so ubiquitous that the subconscious creates dreams that I never thought that the nature of dream could still be different…

Would you like to elaborate more on this…or perhaps suggest any article which talks about this…I’m willing to decipher more about dreams with this perspective…

Wow, I really didn’t expect to get so many replies! GreenDragon, please do elaborate!

very interestingly put, indeed!

gets lost in thoughts