Coffee and dreams!

I know what you mean, i have the same affect to caffeine. I want to experiment more on this b/c my recall really sucks and i smoke pot. Jeff told me some time ago, it could help and counter act the effect from memory loss. It works most of the time, i just get bad bellyaches when i drink coffee before i sleep. Sometimes my stomach will hurt the entire night. I was thinking of just cappuccino, but im not sure if that has the same affect. I need to get more involved with this, i think once i get on top of this, ld’s might show up :wink:

I think the dosage with coffee experimentsd is extremely important!
And its wiser to first have at least 5 hours of sleep so u had your deep sleep and are rested.
But the real trick comes from calculating/testing the precise dosage.

Interesting would be 5htp and the right dosage of coffee after 5 of sleep.
Worth some experimenting :smile:
Or the precise dosage of coffee mixed with calea.

My coffee smell experiment still rocks for rememberign my dreams.
but u need ear plugs lol those machines make a grrr noise lol.

Jeff

Yesterday I had an LD and I had tried drinking decaf coffee.
I’ll try again tonight…

I read somewhere, I think on this forum, that the amount of caffine in a cup of coffe is enough to keep you awake for 15 minutes only and people only stay awake longer than that because of the placebo - they think the coffee will keep the awake longer so the stay awake longer. I think that this is true in my case, but I also think the caffine stimulates the brain for much longer than 15 minutes. I have only had very few LDs and they were all short because I could not concentrate on the dream and I always forget that its a dream. One of them, which was very vivid was after drinking coffee before I went to bed. I’m sure the caffine either increased my recall or made the dream much more vivid than normal.
I tried drinking a can of coke last night straight before going to bed but I think that was too much caffine to close to sleeping. I tried WILD but I think I had to much caffine to get fully to sleep so I was kind of trapped between waking and sleeping for about 20 minutes. I did start to hear sounds alternating from ear to ear but whenever I heard these I just woke up too easily.

Jeff: You mentioned using earplugs. Do you think these could have had an effect on your dreaming. I imagine earplugs would shut you senses off from the real world more and maybe help you have a vivid or lucid dream. I think I will buy some and try…

Has anyone tried using caffine pills? The caffine uptake should be slower and easyer to get the right amount. So one should be able to go to sleep before the caffine gets into the blood or where ever it goes. And they are cheap.

Hello, my friend told me that last night he drank loads of Pepsi, not for any dream related reasons, and that it took him ages to get to sleep, obviously due to the caffine. He later had 3 LDs that night, and one of them was the best he has ever had in terms of clarity of experience. He is a natural LDer, but he generally only has a couple a week, and this was a new high for him. Just a bit of anecdotal evidence if anyone wants to try caffine before going to bed.

A few nights ago I had a double shot expreso and a red bull. I had a lucid dream. However, it wasn’t like a natural LD. It was like my mind was more awake then it should be. I was completely droggy and felt drugged. I could barely move. In the dream I was caught on drugs, so even though I had become lucid, I was really afraid that it might be real, so I woke myself up.

HEH

I am addicted to caffeine :cool_laugh: when I run dry I get pounding headaches from (this is what I read) the blood vessels in my head dilating :bored: anyways, I noticed that I have better dream recall when I have caffeine in my system. I very recently discovered that if I am low on caffeine I will barely remember a single dream, but if I have alot i can remember alot. I realized this because I work at a fast food place and I get all the free soda I want. One saturday night I had to work till almost closing time, and I had about 5 16-oz cups of soda then I went home and fell asleep. I had the most vivid dream recall ever. It was awesome. The next night I hadn’t had any caffeine for a few hours and I could only remember a fragment of a dream.

for information on caffeine goto this site:

home.howstuffworks.com/caffeine.htm

dnLMicky, I think the reason you have no recall is because you aren’t sleeping well. If you completely clean your system of caffine, your dreams will become 1000% times better.

A few nights ago I tried taking about 50 mg of caffine before going to sleep. The only thing that happened was that I woke up after 1.5 hours and was totally confused. And I didn’t remember my dreams any better and I didn’t get any LD’s, just confusion and tiredness. Maybe I will try again sometime when I do WBTB.

Does anyone have experience with the decaf version of coffee and how it affects sleep / dream recall / LD’s etc?

yer, it tastes bad for starters, dont drink it lol.

for me i had teh same recall as always and no difference in ld. i ddid this for 3 nights. maybe i should ahve done it longer?

The one I have tastes great. Old decaf used to taste like you say, very bad, but this is different.

(a late answer but I had missed this)
Actually I was not joking - a pocket coffee contains a little caffeine and indeed coffee. It is very small - definitely much less than a normal cup!

I have realised that the more caffine I use during the day, the worse dream recall I have. And I also don’t seem to get any LD’s, or maybe I just can’t remember them.

As evidence I use my dryspell during almost the entire may month. I have been consuming a lot of caffine during the entire month. And the I started realising that it might be the caffine that was giving me the dryspell. So I started using less caffine and now I have had 2 LD’s during 3 days and my dream recall has improved a lot. The limit for me seems to be about 100 mg of caffine during the day if I want good dream recall.

Has anyone else noticed this? or is it just me.

Hello guys. I would just like to advise you to NOT drink alot of coffee if drink it at all. Rather drink tea or maybe even soft drinks with caffeine.

Coffee is really unhealthy for u. Several scientists have mentioned this, however that is not the main reason why i advise u against it.

For several years i was a heavy coffee drinker myself and i got a little bit addicted to it.
I wouldnt really mind being addicted to it, but i could feel it really damaged my health. I actually have a couple of small health problems because of it.
Even now i need some caffeine almost every day, which i get from tea.

someone was asking about caffeine dosages…

Oral Caffeine Dosages

Threshold 10 - 20 mg
Common 50 - 150 mg
Strong 150 - 400 mg
Heavy 400 + mg
LD50 (Lethal Dose*) 192 mg/kg in rats

Onset : 5 - 10 minutes
Duration : 1.5 - 5 hours
Normal After Effects : up to 24 hours

• LD50 = dose which will kill 50% of the tested animals. It is estimated that fatal doses for humans are between 1 and 4 grams of caffeine, depending on body weight and tolerance.

Hope that helps! I personally am going to try it tonight.

I have found that it’s best to take it in the morning and pills are better because it takes much longer before they are released into your body and I think it’s released much slower. And it seems like it’s better not to swallow it with too much water because the more water you drink the faster the body absorbs the caffine.

I tried it this morning while I did a short WBTB. I took about 50 mg and I did get a lucid dream and for some reason I felt great when I woke up later. I can’t remember that last time I have slept that well. It could be a coincidence because the last time I tried it I couldn’t really sleep that well.

Tried caffine again today. It does seem to help with WILDing :cool_laugh: I did WBTB after sleeping for about 6 hours and then I was up for about 30 minutes before taking the caffine and going back to bed. I maganed to WILD twice this morning, I will deffinately try this again tomorrow :cool: