A Way to Achieve Better Dream Quality

The MMT Philosophy! (because it rhymes)
Mindset, Meditation, and TEA!

People have been asking me to write about it, but I always keep getting distracted whether by school, work, or the Elder Scrolls series :lol: So here’s to just sitting down and writing my thoughts.

So I made up MMT to best describe and explain what I think, from my experiences and having tried to provide solutions to others’ questions, is a very effective way to achieve better dream quality.
Note again, that the advice I write is based partly on my experiences as well as on solutions I’ve thought up based on dreaming issues mentioned to me by others–that way the advice I write can possibly provide new insights as well as address old questions that others have mentioned to me in conversation.

Mindset:

Everyone has probably already read in fifty different topics that Mindset is a very important aspect of improving one’s ability to achieve lucid dreams. It does, it really does, and it’s important enough to be repeated.
Motivation, self-confidence, and willpower are but the beginnings of developing the right mindset to achieving and maintaining a dream schedule. Let’s move to the next step. Maintaining the foundation which you create through that motivation and willpower.
Mental reinforcement is very important in maintaining dream recall, in other words, make a dream journal, talk to your friends about it, or just replay it while you brush your teeth, reinforcement can come in a multitude of ways. If you want to reward yourself for having a dream, treat yourself to something. Like chocolate, if you’re a chocolate freak, why not treat yourself to a small piece after breakfast as a means of rewarding yourself. As funny as some of these things may sound, even at a subconscious level, it’s affecting you.
Again, this may all sound familiar to you, but it’s part of the whole thing so bear with me.
Balance within Calmness. I have noticed over many years that maintaining a sense of calm or, if you want to describe it in my words, “taking things in stride with a sense of analytical logic and rational thinking while also using creativity and imagination to address ever-changing challenges and situations” provides several things once in a dream:
1. Dream abilities remain stable and consistent.
2. Dream universe laws do not change unless personally modified.
3. Less amounts of concentration becomes needed to achieve dream abilities.
4. More attention can be diverted to more important things like having fun, observing details, and of course, food.
5. Nothing is as scary as it used to be.
These are but a few examples.

Do not confuse this with being un-excitable. Excitement is going to happen, and it’s fine, however this will help you contain that excitement so that you can avoid cases such as waking yourself up abruptly or making yourself vulnerable to certain undesirable dream situations.

Meditation:
Meditation is something I do frequently, all thanks to having been in martial arts for the majority of my life. (I’ll let you laugh because I do fulfill the particular stereotype… it was thanks to watching Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan films at age 5 that got me into training in Tae Kwon Do and Karate at age 8, and a few years later, Kung Fu as well…)

And here’s what I’ve learned–Meditation really works!!

I mean, they weren’t exactly thinking of dreams when my instructors taught us how to properly meditate, (most of the time they spoke about it before exams) but Meditation can help you in achieving better dream quality nonetheless.

Meditation can be used to not only calm one’s Self, but also to clear one’s Mind. In this, one can use Meditation before bed to push out all external thought and influence so as to allow one to fully concentrate internally–in other words, to focus and concentrate on your single goal: To dream, as well as where you want to go in your dream :razz: if you’re feeling particular.

This will especially help those who always go to bed with very busy minds, full of thoughts and distractions.

Tea:
So why the heck would I say Tea?
Because I like Tea.
Chamomile tea in particular.
And Chamomile tea has a particular calming effect which can assist you whether you want to relieve yourself of stress, body aches, an aching throat, OR… sleeping.
Through the calming effects of chamomile along with the use of meditation, this creates a quick and effective way to make sure you get to sleep in the right state of mind.

Once you’ve reached this line, I suggest you get a sandwich… because sandwiches are om nom nommy and om nomz are good foodumz.

P.S. this is the first time I’ve tried providing a comprehensive wider-ranged tutorial-ish thing as opposed to the more narrow-topic things such as my Dream Clock, so let me know if I’m doing a good or bad job at it :lol: this is a learning experience for me as usually I discuss dreams (questions, methods, etc) with others on MSN chat rather than writing out a whole chunk of stuff and posting it.

Awesome! :grin:

mindset, check! Well, since I’ve started LD’ing I’ve been able to have a positive mindset during most of that time (funny I should say that seeing as a week or two ago my motivation dropped to zero since I’ve been stuck in low lucidity and/or short LD’s for a very long time now ._. but I’me getting back on my feet again.) I should put some more effort into dreaming, but having to wake up early now really kills my recall :sad: Could you expand a little on the calmness part? :tongue: I thought I got it, until you said excitement was something different :lol: calmess in the LD or towards LD’ing in general?

meditation, semi-check! No, I lie ._. I know, through experience that meditation really helps, but it’s not every night that I’m able to clear my mind properly. Sometimes distractions just keep coming and I get nowhere :tongue: I think when I lie on my back and/or use some binaural beats it helps, so I should try that more frequently. Any tips besides that?

and last but not least

tea, che… hmm, tea? I have to say I haven’t tried that one. I will see if there is some chamomile tea here and give it a try. (and for some reason I imagined you only drank tea in dreams XD)

great post though!

/me raises a hand. :meh:

I don’t like chamomile tea alone… What about mint tea mixed with some drops of chamomile tea and two sugar teaspoons ? It has a calming effect on me, as it is my favorite tea combination… (especially the mint part).

Tea? Hmm can it be coffee instead? :tongue:

Just kidding, I just wanted to post so it’s easier to find this topic again.

Great post, thanks a lot!

There’s no big secret, we only need to focus properly with motivation and calm.
As time goes by we get it right.

Hope you keep writing your tips to us!

Thanks! As one of my favourite LDers I will be sure to heed your advice :smile:

By Calmness, I meant calmness within the LD. Although, it’s fine to be excited inside the LD, learning how to maintain some form of calm/self-control will help keep that excitement from being detrimental to your experience. I suppose a better way of describing it is better mental and emotional self-control.
As for beating away distractions, I’d say use what you’ve known to work so far. I am not familiar with binaural beats, but if it helps, by all means go for it :smile:
And yeah LOL I drink chamomile tea all the time in my waking life, which is why I’ve just got to have some in my dreams too! :happy: Same goes for sandwiches, I love sandwiches, so there’s no reason to leave them out of my dreams when I can enjoy them! :happy:

Put anything you want in your tea :content: I personally use milk, honey, and a bit of sugar with my chamomile tea :happy:

Coolio :smile: thanks.

I’ll wait for my daily life to get a little less… mind consuming >_> and perhaps a holiday, to try all three tips out :wink:

This is a great guide. Thanks. I bought some more chamomile recently and it really helps … more so than green even with jasmine. What did your instructors teach you exactly of meditation? Breathing? I do meditation but it is my own methods. :cool:

I actually don’t like tea… but will try the rest of the technique. Thanks a lot for sharing it!

I like the this topic and will try thhe methods probably when summer starts so i can get more sleep. I thought your article was good. at first it looked long but it flowed well together and it seemed an easy read not to complicated. Good job

by the way i love the elder scroll series too. cant wait for the new one to come out.

Nice, I can relate with that. Sandwiches are great!

And as far as half of the WILD topics in this forum link to your DJ, I’d say keep these comprehensive wider-ranged tutorial-ish things coming!

And as we’re going for “Put anything you want in your tea”… Can it be coffee? LOL BeRightBack!