Is there something you actually CANT do in a dream?

is it all just fake then?

Everyone have different opinions on that. In this thread I decided to exclude interaction with the real world.

if it’s all fake then it seems to me like masturbation or something.

@tinkerbell:
LDing feels just as real as waking life. There’s nothing fake about that.
The only thing that no-one has proved yet is, as Rhewin and WASD explained, is interaction with the real world from a dream, and interaction with other people’s dreams. Think of this as some sort of telepathy, and you can make up your own mind about that.

if you know it’s not real then you shouldn’t get so excited about it should you?

It feels real and it feels awesome. I’ve never thought something like “This is boring because it isn’t real” about my dreams neither while I’m awake nor in the dream.

I can think of a couple of things that I reckon are impossible to do in a dream.

1. Grab one of your eyes, take it out, and turn it to face your other eye. So each one of your eyes would be looking at the other, but you’d be able to see through both at the same time. In short; change your field of vision. I also remember reading something about “360 vision” a while ago, which is kind of the same concept.

2. Give one of your DC’s lucidity, and lose it yourself. Your DC will then go and do whatever he/she wants in the dream, but you’ll still be there, not lucid, watching everything they do. And no, I’m not saying that your DC’s are other actual people. Can you lose lucidity at will?

3. Write a 10,000 word essay in the dream, hand it in, get it marked, and get the EXACT same copy back in your dream to have a look, word for word. I bet your mind can’t remember it all :wink: I wouldn’t try this one though, unless you really want to do an essay. Can you mentally remember things you would otherwise find impossible in real life?

4. Dream without vision. Obviously if you lack vision in WL, you’ll probably be able to, but if you’re reading this, you’ll have vision. We can dream without sound, without smell etc, but what about sight? Can you experience blindness in a dream?

5. The most far-fetched one; can you create a second conscious? And then can you have two different dream experiences at the same time?

1. Never tried that. But i have also heard of reports on 360 vision.

2. I’ve never tried doing it at will (why would i?). Sometimes when I have a long lucid dream the lucidity can fade and turn into a normal dream. I have read about others experiencing this too.

3. I guess it’s theoretically possible to remember all that… My ability to remember things is greatly reduced within the dream.

4. I have actually done this. My vision faded and i believed i was waking up so i started spinning around. It could feel it very strongly and i regained vision perhaps 5-10 seconds later.
    I have also experienced “conscious sleep” a few times which is a term I made up. There are no feelings and no vision. I’m doubt there were any thoughts either. You are simply on the edge of awareness. I made a thread asking about this on astralviewers.com a while ago.

5. I’m not sure about 2 dreams at the same time. But there is a thing called The Mind Split Effect within Astral Projection. You can have 3 separate memories from the same time - Physical, Dream and Astral. Here is a video on it: youtube.com/watch?v=_Gd418QcbJ0

So I don’t think any of your points were impossible :smile: Except number 3 that probably is practically impossible.

Hmm, I guess so. I guess for number three, you could first write one word down, hand it in, get it back and see the same word. You could then do two words, then three etc. until you have 10,000. But yeah, practically speaking, pretty much impossible.

For number two, I wouldn’t do it either, but I still think it’s impossible. Because you’re trying to lose lucidity, you are already aware you are in the dream, and thus it can’t be done.

I’ll think of something for tomorrow that’s truly impossible to do. Will be something good to think about whilst sleeping, and if I get an LD tonight, maybe I’ll try some stuff :smile:

Flying… Im just kidding, what i thought new colors! If someone has done it lately please tell me :smile:

Before I move on, look at tinkerbell’s post count… 5… probably a new member… (Hmm, maybe the caption under the name gave that away?) so she probably doesn’t understand LDing quite yet.

But yes, ‘inventing’ a new color would seem an impossible task because the color receptors of our brain fire when we see things IRL the same as when were dreaming. So logic follows that because the spectrum of colors that you can see in real life have to match those that you see in a dream because the nerves that indicate colors are the exact same it would be impossible to invent a new color. But, you could probably create new shades and hues of existing colors, and if you tried to invent a new color would probably just get one of these.

WASD, the Colors section on your astral projection link sound more like visual effects than colors. And the colors they saw were probably just vibrant versions of existing colors so they seemed supernatural. Still, someone feel free to prove me wrong.

BryanG, can you imagine taking an eye out, pointing it at the other and seeing both eyes? I can so #1 is probably not impossible. And because of binocular vision it would just appear to be one eye that you see and the funky overlap of images you get if you cross your eyes. #2, not sure about giving a DC lucidity, but it’s very easy to lose lucidity, just say you’re going to have a ND and get lost in the flow. #3, yes, most likely impossible but only practice can prove it wrong. If you tried hard enough and got enough experience in the dream realm maybe you could remember a 10k essay. #4, I have. My most common dream before I got into LDing occurred seconds before I would awaken: a black expanse of nothingness. It was as if I had no vision for black, darkness, etc. is the absence of light and to not see means no light is making it to the visual cortex. #5, no idea… That’s it.

Maybe nothing!, no but really, i think you can do anything.

Ok, well thanks for the responses to my points everyone :smile: I thought I had thought of something impossible, obviously not haha. Anyway, I think I’ve got one now :tongue:

Ok, create a desert in your mind, that goes on forever, for an infinite number of miles. Can you see from one side to the other?

I thought it was our eyes that limited which colors we can see. Some animals apparently see less colors than us, I think that’s because of their eyes and not the brain.

I thought about that too. That link was the best i had on “new colors”. But it might be extra-strong ordinary colors. I hope I’ll experience it myself sometime.

I honestly think that anything you can imagine you can do in a dream. Basically almost anything is possible. Almost because if you cant imagine something then you cant do it(like having an infinite amount of zeros in your field of vision for example; the problem would be visualizing infinity). I thought it would be impossible to change a dream scene without spinning but a few LDs ago i did it. I strained my mind so much doing it that i woke up right after though.

I like do say that you can do “everything you can imagine and a little more”. That little more may be geometrical or logical impossibilities. Or infinity. At least having an illusion of infinity.

It is the eyes that limit what we see, but all senses are interpreted by out brain, so no matter what our eyes can pick up we can’t see it if our brain can’t interpret it. Even if there was a new color out there that we can’t see, we still can’t see it in our dreams because as I said earlier, the reason we see in our dreams, or hear in our dreams is because the parts of the brain that interpret those senses in real life are firing while we are asleep. So, you see, if you can’t sense it in real life you can’t sense it in the dream world.

This however has nothing to do with repositioning the input of the sense. For example, one can shift so that one has a third arm and one could sense off of that arm just like the other two. It might be a little disorienting at first to get the hang of it, but one could recreate the feel. But one couldn’t create a new kind of sensation unless it was a combination of existing sensations simply because our brains can’t interpret the new input so the new input would never exist.

I agree WASD; thats a good point. Everyone has an idea of infinity at least. In my example someone may think they see an infinite number of anything but it may only be a million of them or just a whole bunch. If thats what someone thinks is an infinite amount then it is (especially in dreams where the world is yours). Its all possible to me either way.

oh i think i understand lding. but i think there’s a whole lot of hype going on about it.

I disagree. LD’s are awesome and they deserve more attention. They are “underhyped” if there is a word like that.