[WILD] Is There Usually Continuous Hypnagogic Imagery?

Hello,

I have searched for a question like this, and have read lots of ‘sleep cycle charts’, but I couldn’t find an answer. Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.

Just to clarify, this is at the beginning of the night, without WBTB. I would like to know if, throughout a WILD attempt such as this, (more like lying down meditation or conscious sleep) I should be seeing more HI as time passes, a constant ratio.

does (imagery / time) = constant ??? roughly?

Or does this happen most when you are more awake (with WBTB, afternoon nap)? This has really been holding back my progress. While I am falling to sleep, I have worried thoughts caused by the HI suddenly leaving. An example is “What if the lack of HI means I am not sleeping anymore? Did I fail?” <-- causes me to wake.

This is what I mean:
T0:00 - Awake
T0:10 - Relaxed
T0:15 - Hypnagogic Imagery starts
T0:30 - HI loses intensity, ending up with mostly darkness - ???
T0:45 - Short burst of intense Hypnagogic Imagery - ???
T0:50 - HI ends again, feels like deep sleep
T0:80 - Gradually rising out of deep sleep, ending up in REM
T0:90 - Dreaming
note: This is a pretty rough time line, I hope it is clear what is happening. Also, I’ve never reached REM this way, but after ~80 minutes I definitely feel dreams are around the corner, with that slowly increasing

Am I somehow waking myself up every time?
Or, is this just what happens during sleep?

I figure this is natural, but like I said, uncertain thoughts really don’t help.

Thanks.

Just because you WILD or DEILD doesn’t necessarily mean everyone will have HI. I’ve done DEILDs before with no HI. For me, that “intermediate” stage between sleeping and waking usually doesn’t have any form of HH.

HH is different for everyone, so don’t be worried if your HI disappears. It doesn’t necessarily mean that your WILD is going to fail. I’ve perfectly DEILDed before into a dream, and I didn’t see anything until I was actually in the dream.

Hope this helps, and keep it up! :content:

This is an interesting question, no doubt. I’ve never seen it before.

First of all: all is relative. You might at first be relaxed and deep in HI and then lose concentration and be fully awake; you might at first be awake and gradually drift into the unexplored or there might be no progress.

More times than not, it will progress from the waking state to the dreaming state.
This is logical, since you first have to be awake to be able to relax yourself, get HI and/or SP and eventually fall asleep.

You might be waking yourself up or you might just not be relaxed enough. How often do you have ‘‘worried thoughts’’ and what else might you have noticed that could interrupt sleep?

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, it did, and I will. :cookiemon: ← needs to be used sometimes, it (probably) gets lonely :lol:

I’m not too sure what you mean. Just that this could be progress towards sleep or a sign of waking up?

The worried thoughts are not too often. They come when I either lose the HI, or my sense of time. These usually come together in a package because when the Imagery stops, I start to think that if I continue, I’ll just be wasting my time laying here, without sleeping. I can deal with this, I just wonder where the Images would go, and why. There is a furnace in my bedroom that sometimes wakes me, although it’s pretty obvious when it’s the cause. Nothing seems to wake me up, it feels like a surprise.

Other things I could add: When I lose the HI (or time sense), that is all I lose. My body is still very heavy, I still feel bugs (not real ones, of course) occasionally walking on me. It almost feels like my body hasn’t noticed that my mind has awaken briefly, so it stays asleep, while I quietly wonder what to do.

I listed the three different options that might happen; the two you wrote and the third - no progress.

Well, when the mind is awake while the body isn’t, we call it SP, but I doubt it happens in your case. Your body just gets numb.

Maybe you’re just not relaxed or tired enough. Try to do the muscle relaxation exercise. Basically, you have to tense and relax your muscles from your feet to your head (or vice-versa), several times if needed, till you feel true relaxation.

Oh and, how could I forget?!
There is a great tip given to all WILDers.
Generally, (remember, all is relative) WILD is easier if done in the morning (depends on when you go to bed), after ~5 hours of sleep.

People tend to be much more successful this way. Hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for the tips. I’ll try to do more muscle relaxing exercising. I can only do WBTB on weekends because I can usually sleep in then. I’ll try going to sleep a bit later to be more tired, but part of this is that I want to learn to fall asleep intentionally. It will work though.

Thanks again, and I might just post new questions here, (they will relate to my initial one) if that isn’t frowned upon or anything.

note: if anybody knows of any places to find details on “sleep stages” other than just mickey-mouse charts and graphs, then I am interested :wink: Maybe I think it could help. I have seen Tggtt’s Trance Levels, and that helps a lot.