Feeling pain in LD.

I remember I felt pain in one of the little LDs I had during naps, it was a few seconds before I became lucid, I was in a bedroom and I hit my head on the ceiling, it hurt a lot and the pain was very realistic !

I find it logical to feel pain in dreams, because pain is merely a nervous information that your brain send to you, telling you something is wrong. If something “wrong” happens (you hit your head, burn your skin or whatever), your mind doesn’t make the difference between dream and reality, something “wrong” is happening so the nervous impulse is sent (sent for real even if you’re dreaming) and you feel pain. So I guess if you wake up right after that, you still feel pain a little bit because the nervous info has not faded yet …

I agree with Aldarion that it is absolutely plausible.
I am, however, curious why some would feel it so intensely while others (as myself) have not felt anything… and I have had dreams in which something happened that would cause tremendous pain IWL

Hmmm… If you’re interrested in this effect wouldn’t it be possible to do some simple experiments? Of course we’re not gonna make people hurt themselves but you could do other things to see if physical feelings from dreams can carry on into waking life.
For example; someone has a LD and does some intense workout (hmmm is that even possible :hmmm:, no idea). Do a tiring workout and then see if you feel fatigue IRL after waking up; muscle ache, shortage of energy etc.
Wouldn’t that give you some indication?

That’s a good idea, Blenderman :hmmm: I think such experiments could help us to appreciate the power of your mind in influencing your physical feelings … (I’m not sure I’m speaking correctly here ^^).
I am completely new on this forum so I’m not sure but maybe we should put that experiment proposal in the Lucid Lab ?
Anyway, when I have my 8th LD, I’ll try to feel some pain to see what it’s like !

Had some pain in a low lucid/ND this morning and remembered this topic. I had a small thin wire stuck through my thumb! It did hurt and I woke up and could still feel it (of course I’m not really sure how much I actually woke up). The pain faded as soon as I moved a little. It was dream pain, though, so it doesn’t really hurt in the same way as IWL. It’s more like unconfortable than proper pain. Quite interesting! :tongue:

Hi nilas :smile:
this is crazy…I have also recieved pain like this in a dream and had to wake up as it was so intense, and when i woke i still felt it for a second or two. It was very real. crazy ■■■■…I got frazzled by high voltage by some invisible being, electrocuted, in the brain and in the midriff, when i woke up from both dreams the pain was still there like i’d been really hit. i really did feel like i’d been electrocuted, lol, I had no explanation, it freaked me out a little,
after the two dreams, having 2000 volts cursing your body i was left in a bit of a shock and had to bring myself to believe that i am protected by a secret rubber forcefield supplied by my guardian angel … so i am now immune to these kind of attacks. Don’t know about you but i’m not a lover of pain and don’t wish to consciously or unconsciously produce it, but believing i’m more powerful than the dream creatures has given me a boost to overcome my nightly demons :smile:

i’ve also had a lot of times when i got hurt in dreams, woke up and still could feel pain for a minute or two. it’s normal, i thought.

It is actually fairly normal. It’s just leftovers from the brain actually thinking that it is injured. Next time you get hurt IRL, pay attention. Pain usually slowly fades away rather than just suddenly disappearing. I’m pretty sure it’s the same thing here.

If you can orgasm and feel intense pleasure in a LD, i’m certain you can also feel pain.

Both are rather rare though in my experience, these intense feelings usually wake me up ( or “shift me on” to another dream).

You might be able to summon her again in another dream and ask her more about what she wanted to communicate and why.

I have often felt pain in my dreams.
In one LD I decided I was going to die well with no fight, so I put my head down for the soldier coming after me, and he brought his axe down on my neck several times. It felt as if my neck was made of steel, and felt huge vibrations go through me, and I was still until I thought I couldn’t stand it anymore, he couldn’t cut through my neck, I kept wondering whether I was dead yet. Then I felt a knife start to sever the tendons in my neck, and THAT hurt enough to make me feel about to lose my mind, until another soldier pulled him off.

A dream I had recently featured some weird jungle warrior kind of guy, and I was semi-lucid, coming to sort of groggy as he was holding me by my hair and was sawing across my mouth and teeth…it hurt like heck until I told myself to just surrender to it, then it wouldn’t hurt…and it stopped hurting and actually began to feel kind of gooey and good. Just a few weird visuals after then I woke up.

I also had another dream where deep, deep, nearly unimaginable abdominal pain woke me up into my dream, and I felt paralyzed as a woman stood next to me digging into my intestines. I could barely squeak out to her to please stop, I can’t even tell you how intense the pain was…I started to become more lucid and began deep breathing and insisting “I. KNOW. THIS. IS. A. DREAM.” which seemed to really pi** off the DC, but I woke up. I think this dream was some sort of trauma reaction or re-enactment to a c-section I had a long time ago.

So…pain in dreams…it happens. It would make sense, if we can have sexual LD’s and experience pleasure, why not pain? If it were me I’d totally try to get in touch with the DC again and ask her more, though, you’ll likely get more relevant and useful answers than here.

I dont think ive really experienced pain in my dreams or LD’s or at least dont remember any. i have had some intense sexual experiences though which were fun in a good way. :cool:

I never experienced a pain in LD, at least not the pain that I know in WL. Usually the sensation I feel when I’m supposed to feel pain is very dull and undetermined, even though once I was shot with a shotgun and I felt like I ate a little pieces of glass, and I even don’t know how does it feel to eat a glass, perhaps my mind just imagined how that would be and connected with the imagined sensation on eating glass, if that has any logic :happy:!

The only time I can remember feeling pain in a dream is when I was very very little and I dreamed I got stung by a bee (I was being poked in the arm). However, I occasionally feel nauseated in dreams (usually connected to something that happened in the dream), which leads to me feeling the same way after I wake up from the discomfort… Though, I can’t be sure that the event(s) that made me feel sick were not caused by me already feeling ill while I was dreaming.

Had a dream tonight in which I felt pain. I dreamt I was just lying in bed just like IRL (so a FA I guess) and one of the joints in my left pinky hurt pretty bad. It was quite a strong burning pain, especially when I tried to bend it. I don’t think I ever felt pain this sharp and vivid in a dream before. Never felt anything when I woke up though.

Today I had interesting experience. I was in a NLD and I’m not sure if I was pushed in a sea from cruise ship or maybe I jumped, but I end up in a water and engines pulled me deeper in and I was almost torn by propeller but the stream somehow pushed me away but I wasn’t that lucky the second time, this time propeller pulled me up and I could feel how propeller torn my back. The funny thing about all that is that I felt nice and warm feeling and at the end more like burn sensation but not horrible even though I knew what happened! :grin:

Nociception is a sense like sight and hearing. It’s normal to feel pain, in a LD, any sense can be felt, although the most common are sight, hearing and touch. Kinesthesioception is also quite common, most people feel it when falling, it is often so overwhelming that you wake up instantly.
Sometimes you even have extra senses, like the ability to detect magnetic fields.

I got a needle in my feet in a NLD tonight. It wasn’t really pain, more like a strong itch. But the interesting thing was that when I woke up the feeling was still in my feet for probably 10 seconds.

I can feel pain in my dreams. It’s normally not fluffy pain either.

I always felt pain in my dreams, LD or ND. Once I dreamt I had several maggots eating from inside out my heels… it felt like several needles were picking it.

I have felt pain in ld’s. But most of the time I’m pretty indestructible.