Author  Message 
littleRain
Wei Chi
Lucid Initiate
LD count: not enough

Re: Feeling pain in LD.
PostPosted: Fri 13 May, 2011  Reply with quote

Kairos wrote:
LD (DILD): I was dreaming of a riot in a crowded street. I became lucid after a RC, the lucidity was clearily installed and i was relaxed dispite the riot surrounding me. A female DC appeared in front of me and explained me that knowing that i am in a dream shouldn't make me so confident.
I answer: "It is a dream so even if what happens is beyond my conscious control, nothing can hurt me for real here."
she replies: "Even if you can receive no injury you can still feel pain" and she rises her index right above my eyes on my forehead and push through my skull to my brain. At first I start to "feel" pain but as a spectator thinking that anyway it is a dream and therefore i can overcome this subjective feeling.
I reply:"See, you can hurt me but I can bear with it"
She just smiles as a reply. And the pain becomes very intense to a point were I can't anymore stand it. Then i wake up (RC, no false awakening) all of a sudden and write this in my Diary. Having for 2 minutes the burning feeling on my forehead fading slowly.

context: i had around 10 Ld so far, and it is true that through those successes i might have gotten cocky that would explain this scene

What i ask is your advice on what happened there? I never feel pain in my dreams that's even a dream hint for me. A lesson from my subconscious to my ego? Is it normal that such strong perceptions can pass from dreams to reality (not an emotion). Every experience concerning pain in dreams would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your replies

Hi nilas smile
this is crazy....I have also recieved pain like this in a dream and had to wake up as it was so intense, and when i woke i still felt it for a second or two. It was very real. crazy shit...I got frazzled by high voltage by some invisible being, electrocuted, in the brain and in the midriff, when i woke up from both dreams the pain was still there like i'd been really hit. i really did feel like i'd been electrocuted, lol, I had no explanation, it freaked me out a little,
after the two dreams, having 2000 volts cursing your body i was left in a bit of a shock and had to bring myself to believe that i am protected by a secret rubber forcefield supplied by my guardian angel .. so i am now immune to these kind of attacks. Don't know about you but i'm not a lover of pain and don't wish to consciously or unconsciously produce it, but believing i'm more powerful than the dream creatures has given me a boost to overcome my nightly demons smile

Current LD goal(s): DEILD
avalinah
Learning composure
Dream Deity
LD count: 50+

i've also had a lot of times when i got hurt in dreams, woke up and still could feel pain for a minute or two. it's normal, i thought.

Current LD goal(s): DEILD
Rhewin
Who is The Doctor?
Local Moderator
Rhewin has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: 349
Location: In the not too distant future... somewhere in time and space

It is actually fairly normal. It's just leftovers from the brain actually thinking that it is injured. Next time you get hurt IRL, pay attention. Pain usually slowly fades away rather than just suddenly disappearing. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing here.

Current LD goal(s): Defeat Xander in our lucid duel!
teessider
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Sat 14 May, 2011  Reply with quote

If you can orgasm and feel intense pleasure in a LD, i'm certain you can also feel pain.

Both are rather rare though in my experience, these intense feelings usually wake me up ( or "shift me on" to another dream).

kumara
LD count: 11

You might be able to summon her again in another dream and ask her more about what she wanted to communicate and why.

I have often felt pain in my dreams.
In one LD I decided I was going to die well with no fight, so I put my head down for the soldier coming after me, and he brought his axe down on my neck several times. It felt as if my neck was made of steel, and felt huge vibrations go through me, and I was still until I thought I couldn't stand it anymore, he couldn't cut through my neck, I kept wondering whether I was dead yet. Then I felt a knife start to sever the tendons in my neck, and THAT hurt enough to make me feel about to lose my mind, until another soldier pulled him off.

A dream I had recently featured some weird jungle warrior kind of guy, and I was semi-lucid, coming to sort of groggy as he was holding me by my hair and was sawing across my mouth and teeth...it hurt like heck until I told myself to just surrender to it, then it wouldn't hurt...and it stopped hurting and actually began to feel kind of gooey and good. Just a few weird visuals after then I woke up.

I also had another dream where deep, deep, nearly unimaginable abdominal pain woke me up into my dream, and I felt paralyzed as a woman stood next to me digging into my intestines. I could barely squeak out to her to please stop, I can't even tell you how intense the pain was...I started to become more lucid and began deep breathing and insisting "I. KNOW. THIS. IS. A. DREAM." which seemed to really pi** off the DC, but I woke up. I think this dream was some sort of trauma reaction or re-enactment to a c-section I had a long time ago.

So...pain in dreams...it happens. It would make sense, if we can have sexual LD's and experience pleasure, why not pain? If it were me I'd totally try to get in touch with the DC again and ask her more, though, you'll likely get more relevant and useful answers than here.

Railking
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 9

I dont think ive really experienced pain in my dreams or LD's or at least dont remember any. i have had some intense sexual experiences though which were fun in a good way. siiw

Current LD goal(s): dream recalling
dB_FTS
Traveler
cookie lover
dB_FTS has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 118

I never experienced a pain in LD, at least not the pain that I know in WL. Usually the sensation I feel when I'm supposed to feel pain is very dull and undetermined, even though once I was shot with a shotgun and I felt like I ate a little pieces of glass, and I even don't know how does it feel to eat a glass, perhaps my mind just imagined how that would be and connected with the imagined sensation on eating glass, if that has any logic :D!

Current LD goal(s): #Find/Meet Dream Guide#
Myceira

The only time I can remember feeling pain in a dream is when I was very very little and I dreamed I got stung by a bee (I was being poked in the arm). However, I occasionally feel nauseated in dreams (usually connected to something that happened in the dream), which leads to me feeling the same way after I wake up from the discomfort.... Though, I can't be sure that the event(s) that made me feel sick were not caused by me already feeling ill while I was dreaming.

Blenderman
Master Piemaker
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2011  Reply with quote

Had a dream tonight in which I felt pain. I dreamt I was just lying in bed just like IRL (so a FA I guess) and one of the joints in my left pinky hurt pretty bad. It was quite a strong burning pain, especially when I tried to bend it. I don't think I ever felt pain this sharp and vivid in a dream before. Never felt anything when I woke up though.

dB_FTS
Traveler
cookie lover
dB_FTS has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 118

PostPosted: Fri 20 May, 2011  Reply with quote

Today I had interesting experience. I was in a NLD and I'm not sure if I was pushed in a sea from cruise ship or maybe I jumped, but I end up in a water and engines pulled me deeper in and I was almost torn by propeller but the stream somehow pushed me away but I wasn't that lucky the second time, this time propeller pulled me up and I could feel how propeller torn my back. The funny thing about all that is that I felt nice and warm feeling and at the end more like burn sensation but not horrible even though I knew what happened! grin

Current LD goal(s): #Find/Meet Dream Guide#
Wega
Psychonaut
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Mon 23 May, 2011  Reply with quote

Nociception is a sense like sight and hearing. It's normal to feel pain, in a LD, any sense can be felt, although the most common are sight, hearing and touch. Kinesthesioception is also quite common, most people feel it when falling, it is often so overwhelming that you wake up instantly.
Sometimes you even have extra senses, like the ability to detect magnetic fields.

WASD
Psychonaut
Dream Deity
WASD has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2011  Reply with quote

I got a needle in my feet in a NLD tonight. It wasn't really pain, more like a strong itch. But the interesting thing was that when I woke up the feeling was still in my feet for probably 10 seconds.

tapwater
LD count: 12

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jun, 2011  Reply with quote

I can feel pain in my dreams. It's normally not fluffy pain either.

Current LD goal(s): Acheive better dream control, Share a dream with my friend,
eduardoloco
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 8

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011  Reply with quote

I always felt pain in my dreams, LD or ND. Once I dreamt I had several maggots eating from inside out my heels... it felt like several needles were picking it.

Dakotahnok
LD count: 43 in 2011

PostPosted: Tue 14 Jun, 2011  Reply with quote

I have felt pain in ld's. But most of the time I'm pretty indestructible.

Current LD goal(s): Flying to the moon and sliding back to earth on a water slide,

print