Incubate "You are dreaming!" text?

Hello everyone,

I did a bit of a (topic) search for this but didn’t find a relevant post…

Has anyone tried, while falling asleep, incubating the appearance of “You are dreaming!” text into their dreams? It seems to me, if a person did this regularly, sooner or later such text would appear in the dream world - and hopefully one would pick up on the message.

I know about how text changes in dreams but I’ve found that short sentences can be read at least once.

Anyone had success with this sort of method? Is there a term for it?

JB

As far as text goes, I agree with you, I can read short sentences in my dreams (it’s just that they usually make little sense). Have you tried/had success with this method?

I haven’t tried incubating text, but I have visualized a large raven saying “You are dreaming, remember!” before going to sleep, in hopes that I will see him. I did see him once, but he didn’t say anything :grrr: (must be a programing error :smile: )

Just a question, how would you go about incubating text. Would you try to focus on the text and its meaning in hopes of it being incorporated into a dream in any way shape or form, or would you focus on a specific “method of delivery”? Since, for me at least, the mind is quite keen on visual images versus the ambiguity of text, I would hazard a guess that imagining, say a billboard, or a marquee with your message would yield more results, than just focusing on the text itself.

I had only just thought of trying this yesterday so I hadn’t had a chance to try it.

I did wonder whether I should visualize the text on billboards and signs and such or just on its own. I decided that the latter method would be easier; less complicated.

Last night as I was falling asleep I found that I was somewhat scatter brained. I had an extremely hard time focusing on the task. Also, when I did, I couldn’t ‘see,’ a clear image of it in front of me.

At the best of times I don’t have great focus but last night it seemed to be particularly lame.

I fell asleep pretty quickly; woke up 3 1/2 hours later and went to the can; got only restless sleep for the next three hours or so - trying now and then, I think, to imagine the text.

I didn’t recall even a snippet of a dream.

About six hours after falling asleep I became semi-lucid. Until that moment it had been a year or two since my last lucid dream - and about a month since I’ve been making deliberate efforts to have them. That said, I managed to remain pretty calm and had a, for me, somewhat long one. It felt like five minutes.

I’m not sure what triggered lucidity. I’d been in the cockpit of a combat aircraft(?) preparing for cold weather takeoff. As we started to taxi to the runway my windshield froze and cracked - and I worried whether they’d make me fly anyway.

I excused myself radioing that I didn’t know the shield would crack; didn’t know I had to turn on a windshield heater.

Next I can remember I’m driving, I don’t know… the aircraft(?) through some large interior space. There were other airplanes of various colors and types and I kind of passed through one - but didn’t become lucid!

Next I can remember I am in some sort of big store, busy with shoppers. I asked someone if this was a dream but don’t know whether they answered or not.

I decided to lean forward and examine some DVD(?) cases on a display rack. Reading the text, it shifts, and I realize (without any fanfare) that I’m dreaming.

Semi-lucid I remark to someone how very realistic everything looks.

Briefly I consider exercising don Juan’s First Gate of Dreaming but decide not to; to have a bit of fun instead.

I go outside and sit near the door. Remembering Robert Waggoner’s tips, from his book, I say to the dream world, “Show me something incredible,” I didn’t shout it but said it rather shyly; timidly - which goes to show that I was only semi-lucid.

Instead of something incredible the only thing that happens is that the entire view kind of twists and flows a bit - Comment edited out. Please read the guidelines :mattias:

I complain, to the dream world, “Not that (shit)! Something really incredible!”

Nothing.

Some girl overhears me and, as a cover, I say to her “I need more iron,” WTF?!

Then, holding some old gum or putty in the palm of my right hand I intend to float it up to a guy standing to my left. Instead of floating up though it flies out of my hand like a bullet and whizzes past his head. Slightly embarrassed, and relieved that I didn’t hit and hurt him, I try again with success.

At this point, for some reason, I jump up and walk into the midst of about fifty people. I call out to get everyone’s attention but then decide that I need a bullhorn - so I manifest one. (A first for me - manifesting anything).

“Attention everyone one!” I boom.

“Can I have everyone’s attention?!”

“I just want to say to you all that this is a dream! You’re dreaming! Pinch your nose or do whatever you have to to confirm it for yourself,”

Many people scream with delight.

I decide to fly but, as is typical for me, I can’t get any height. I remark to a rather attractive girl that I always have this problem. She tells me it’s because of gravity - even while she starts floating.

I yell “Zero gravity!” but still I’m earthbound.

Next I manifest rocket boots and start climbing rather strongly.

I wake up then and smile BIG TIME!

Did my attempts at incubating text result in me telling everyone else “You’re dreaming!”?

I don’t know.

JB

Yeah, I think that’s your text manifesting itself in your dreams. The thing I found is that no matter how hard you try to think of all the unprobable circumstances, no matter how you phrase the text, it will be incorporated into the dream in the most unexpected way.

About two or three nights ago I’ve been trying to fall asleep thinking of my mantra, “When I’ll be dreaming, I’ll know it.” That night I had a ND where I was going to sleep, and kept repeating my mantra. (so, in effect, I was trying to induce a LD inside a ND :content: ).
After that dream, I tried to change my mantra to the present tense, “I am Dreaming,” nice, short and simple right? Wrong. I fell asleep and went to a place called the Embassy of Lucid Dreams :confused:. There I saw a statue of a man, with a title, “I am dreaming”. :grrr:

So you see, the mind really is unpredictable (at least mine is) and it takes a lot of experience to find an effective way to communicate with oneself.

P.S. I will try to induce my mantra in the form of a text tonight, if I manage to calm my mind. I can’t seem to stop the thoughts from buzzing inside my head like bees. :eek:

Well while trying to nap - being more drowsy than I can remember being in a long time - I had another three minute(?) LD. I tried incubating text a bit but not that much really.

As in the above dream, it wasn’t any “You are dreaming!” text that caused lucidity. In fact, as before, it seemed to come about spontaneously.

Actually it was a false awakening dream - but not in my home. As I got up my eyelids were heavy, fluttering shut, just as they were while really awake.

I got up, suspicious that I was dreaming, and issued the Clarity Now! command. It might have helped.

Then I tried moving some pieces of paper, that were oddly floating in the air, toward me. After moving one or two I tried lighting one on fire with my stare - without success!

Then I decided to try manifesting Monica Bellucci by Intending her appearance while shutting and opening my eyes. The third time I opened them I opened them for real and woke up.

In the interest of full disclosure I feel I should add that, for the last week, I’ve been learning and perfecting the first 15 of 37 so called Magical Passes. I have to say that, even though I’ve been a Carlos Castaneda fan for 20 years, I feel pretty silly doing the movements.

Still… after nearly a month of trying to LD using other methods I wasn’t successful until after starting with the passes. Now I’m highly suspicious that there might actually be something to them. Can it be that simple?

It’s too early to say.

JB

There is an app i got from the ipod/iphone/ipad appstore, called Re.minder, and what it does is give you reminders, i have mine set to “You are dreaming” and i have it set to every 5 minutes, this is my second night using it, so i will report in the morning how it went

Thanks for the app mention. I have downloaded it. If it works on vibrate I will try the VILD(?) method of becoming lucid. (Vibration Induced Lucid Dream).

Cool that’s it’s free!

By the way, I think “This is a dream!” is better text to use. If you read the first dream account above you’ll notice that it was I that told others “… You’re dreaming!”

Of course, as WolfTracker pointed out, just switching to “This is a dream!” text won’t guarantee that it’ll be properly integrated, but I think it has a better chance of working.

JB

Well, I finally decided to try that too yesterday, and now I had my first lucid dream! :lucid:

When I woke up with Autosuggestion, I thought: Hey, let´s try that You-are-dreaming stuff. So I visualized “You are dreaming right now!” and tried to keep other thoughts down. Then after some time, I heard some voice saying: “Yeah, I think you´re really dreaming right now…” :eek:

Somehow I still saw the text in white letters floating in the air, so it was clear for me this was actually really a dream. I just went randomly to people telling them how happy I was that I finally managed to become lucid, I asked them why I have to rub my hands together every two minutes, then I just walked around, shouting “Maximise Lucidity” from time to time… Then I decided to beat up some random people, just to see what happens then, and finally I “summoned” a horse and rode into the sunset :cool:

So, many thanks for sharing the idea, jburrowes!

@Ultor,

Wow! For a first LD you did well! You didn’t say but it seems that it lasted more than a few seconds. For me, right now, five minutes is a long one.

I’m glad that you, at least, actually saw the text you incubated. It really seems to me that, on some deep level, I’m sabotaging myself. It would be too complicated and hard to explain exactly what I mean but those of you in a similar situation will know what I mean.

It might be that your subconscious isn’t working against you.

For how long had you been trying to have an LD. Did you try many other methods?

JB

Yes, it felt like 10-20 minutes, and when I woke up, about an hour had passed…

And I´m not sure whether it´s my subconscious, but something is sure working against me, since I always feel myself lying in my bed when I am about to become lucid (I made a thread about that).
I still can´t understand how the text was ported so clearly into the dream, perhaps it was because I tried really hard killing down any other thoughts while incubating, but I suppose everyone´s doing that, so I don´t know…

As for your questions, I´ve been trying to have an LD for about two months, mostly trying WILD(seemed the easiest for me, how wrong I was…), and in the last two weeks Autosuggestion.

Ten to 20 minutes! Wow! again.

Perhaps you were able to clear your thoughts, incubating the text, more effectively than myself and others?

I see you’re just 14 years old so… here’s to many more for you.

JB

Going to give this a try as it seems to be quite succesful with all who have tried :smile:
ive only ever had one short ld so if this works it would be great , ill report back if it does.

@ritchie222

Good luck! And please do report back.

JB