WILD - REM sleep induction

hi all :mrgreen_hat:

I’ve been wondering…

the first logical stages of sleep are the 4 nrem (non-rem) or light sleep stages, which last for only a short while. even though brief in nature, from what I’ve come to understand passing those stages is crucial for entering rem sleep at all.

so… people practicing wild, do you guys somehow magically skip those stages and dive straight towards rem? or is there some kind of a trick that involves keeping your head clear and your consciousness up and going until you actually reach the rem stage?

or is it something else entirely?

in any case, the way I see it is… basically… to be able to do it, somehow you’ve got to keep yourself up for an hour and a half (or something like that) and then somehow slip away into an LD?

if so, is it always like that? you really wait an hour and a half? if that’s not the case, how do you do it in less that that?

:confused:

There is a WBTB method, and for that, you have to wake up 6 hours after you sleep, and then attempt your WILD after that. If school or work interrupted your REM period, then I think you can continue that in a afternoon nap :razz: Idk why, but last night, I tried a WILD and it worked (Probably because school interrupted my REM period.)

Some dreamers report that they dream in this NREM stage and it’s believed that those dreams are less vivid and harder to remember, but then some say that those dreams can be vivid as REM dreams, so actually is different from person to person.

The technique that Amythest444 mentioned, WBTB is actually for that skipping of NREM stages. The thing is that as longer you sleep the longer are REM stages and NREM stages becomes shorter. So when you wake up for the WBTB you should awake your mind/brain enough to go through WILD yet keep you body sleepy enough to fall back asleep. For some people WBTB is short, like for me, some 5 to 10 minutes when for some that last longer, half an hour or more. The trick is in figuring out how much time you need to awake your mind but keep your body asleep.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

thanks for the input, I really appreciate that

I’m aware of the wbtb technique, though :smile:

so basically there is no way around that time of wait and no tricks whatsoever, aside from wbtb?

The good technique for that is this, it seems, but give the time to whole process, it’s rewording!

Here’s an average duration of each sleep phase for an average person:

NREM-1: 5-10 minutes

This sleep phase occurs when you go to sleep. It’s the transition from being awake, to being asleep. It feels like you are in a trance. During this phase, you will normally lose consciousness, as the HI will distract you. In this phase, you may suddenly wake up. You will feel a falling sensation, then you feel a shock and open your eyes immedeately. It’s called a hypnic jerk. They are frequent when you are stressed or exhausted.

NREM-2: 5-10 minutes

A phase of very light sleep. It happens after NREM-1. During this phase, any sounds, light flashes, movements will easily wake you up. This phase relaxes your body and prepares you for the deep phase. Dreams and hallucinations are very rare. During this phase, we are usually unconscious.

NREM-3: 30-60 minutes

This is the deepest and the longest phase. During this phase, we regain the energy which we lost during the day. If a person is in this sleep phase, it’s very hard to wake him up. If you manage to wake him up, he will feel very groggy. It’s the worst time to wake up, as later in the day you may experience headache and other symptoms of tiredness. During this phase, dreams are more common compared to other NREM phases. Still, they happen rarely. As our body is not paralysed during this sleep phase, we may move during a NREM-3 dream. The worst that can happen, is that you fall out of your bed :razz:

REM-sleep: 5-60 minutes

It’s a pretty light sleep phase, where we experience dreams. Our body is paralysed during this sleep phase. If we wake up in the middle of this phase and fall asleep again, the REM phase will continue. Therefore, it’s good to do techniques like WILD here.

All these phases repeat a few times during the whole night sleep. Here’s a picture for you:

Before I freak out, I have to ask this question:

If you’re lucid in an NREM phase and you’re not having SP, will your body move if you move during the LD?

I always fly or jump off my balcony… would be quite tragic

If you’re lucid, it means that you dream, and if you dream you’re under SP. Only if your brain doesn’t regularly produce this chemical that puts our body in SP. So whenever you dream you are under SP if your “healthy”…

No, this is not the case with NREM dreams. Sleep paralysis happen only in REM phase, not NREM. Therefore, if you move during an NREM dream, you will move IRL. But don’t worry though, if you move IRL that will probably wake you up, so you won’t fall out of the balcony etc. :smile:

Anyways, during NREM dreams, you rarely have a dream body. NREM dreams are more like hallucinations, therefore, there’s no need to move.

Okay thanks for the explanation. I was already locking my doors just in case :razz: