odd experiences

so what i’m about to describe is something that’s happened to me several times, over the past few years. i can’t say for certain whether or not the frequency of its occurrence is related to my rising interest in LDs, but certainly my awareness of the event is.

essentially, this event is me in my bed. the room, as far as i can tell, is normal. nothing about my environment is odd. however, my vision is always obscured. whether it looks like one of my eyelids are closed or vision is blurry, i never have good eyesight. next, i cannot move my body. some might say right off the bat this is sleep paralysis, but the next part is what trips me up: i can feel myself move. i move my arm, and it moves. on occasion i feel like i am actually walking around the room, but my vision is stuck to the same point of view. this is the part that always confuses me and frustrates me. i feel like i’m having a lucid dream, but my vision is transfixed to my actual “body”.

has anyone experience this phenomena before? is it a version of SP? i told my experience recently to a friend and he suggested that i ask a doctor, as it might be a sign of something possibly neurologically wrong. i thought i should ask you, the oneironauts and somnologists, first: what could this all mean?

Sounds like some kind of OBE. Except that your vision hasn’t moved, if I understand correctly.

Let me make sure I understand: your body control is split? So you can see out of the position of your “real” body, but you can feel and move your dream body around the room?
I very highly doubt something neurologically is wrong, all sort of weird stuff happens when you’re in between awake and asleep, but I must say I’ve never heard of anything like that happening.

Yep! It’s like my vision is still in my “real” body, but I’m still walking and moving around my bedroom.

I’m also open to accepting this is just an elaborate dream going off of subconscious frustrations with LD failures, but it feels so much like I’m on that awake/dreaming borderline.

This happens to me sometimes when I WILD in the morning. I’m walking/floating/flying around in my room or somewhere else on touch but my vision is still with my RL body.

What I do is I close my eyes and keep them closed for a couple of seconds. Meanwhile I keep moving and touching so I won’t loose the LD. After a couple of seconds I open my eyes and I have the right vision. When I still have vision problems I try it again and if it doesn’t work the second time, I usually give up and return to my RL body to exit again hoping for better vision.

Good luck!

cool! good to hear someone else who has the same problem. i’ll have to try that next time … though it doesn’t happen frequently. hopefully i’ll remember.

It happened to me once. I didn’t see it as a problem though. I just thought it was really cool. There’s no need to see a doctor. You are just sleeping with your eyes open.

yeap… that’s it… it s cool…! :tongue:

Have you tried visualising yourself seeing the dream normally? Try getting out of that position.

Sometimes when I attempt an LD via an OBE exit I get this kind of duality happening.
for example I would roll out of my ‘body’ and be able to feel my ‘self’ on the floor and also my self in the bed.
It also happens in dreams sometimes I have feel my bed and hear my self breathing, but also be conscious inside the dream.
I think its just another experience to explore. Nothing to worry about.
try and transfer your consciousness away from your sleeping body and see what happens.