Did your friends and family know that you are doing LD?

:ok: That’s pretty cool, to be able to say you got a friend into LDing. A guy I know from another forum gave a speech on in as part of a class he was taking.

I’ve talked with my family about it. Mostly I’ve gotten disinterested comments like “Hmmm, that’s cool” or “Wow, that’s interesting.” However, My brother-in-law talks like he is a natural LDer. He says that every morning he remembers his dreams, and he has control over his self and his own actions in his dreams about 90% of the time. He even commented that he thought everyone dreamt that way. (Lucky dog…) However, I didn’t know about any dream control techniques, So I directed him here. Anyway, I am hoping having someone to talk to IRL and discuss techniques with might actually help my own progress towad lucid dreaming.

I tell almost everybody. Fortunately my friends have quite open minds towards these things. I’ve told my parents and found out my dad used to do it when he was younger. He was telling me how he enjoyed flying around head first, like superman except with his hands by his sides. Come to think of it, it would be great to do this with him in a LD. :grin:

I’ve always been the one in my family that gets sucked into things quickly, focuses on whatever interests me very intensely and then moves on when I’ve run out of steam or motivation. So my family is more or less used to me announcing new fads and interests but I don’t think they take me very seriously. I’ve always loved dreams and talking about them. But I’ve gone in phases and as a kid realized no one else in my family was quite as interested as I was. It doesn’t help my case that I am the kind who has a hard time giving pple short summaries and can easily get swept up into describing my dreams in detail. Which, as someone already mentioned, most pple don’t find your dreams as interesting as you do.
I told my mom about rediscovering LDs and joining this site, but I felt like I had to give her some justification of its worth. (Meaning that I told her that at least my enthusiasm for dreaming meant that I was going to bed at a reasonable hour and getting enough sleep now.) But no one in my family cares to listen to me talk about dreams so I don’t. But i have no issues about talking to my peers, esp if they seem interested.

I sometimes tell random people when I have any excuse (basically whenever we talk about something related to sleep)…

.but

The only reason I hesitate to tell people all the time is actually quite weird:
I’m afraid that they treasure normal dreams and will lose their ability to appreciate them if I tell them of lucid dreams;
it would be much easier to tell people if I knew that they already had the desire to be able to control them.

A few of them are faintly aware that I’m keeping a DJ. But no, I haven’t explicitly told anyone “Sometimes when I dream, I know I’m dreaming.”

Well, I’ve explained the concept to a few of my friends (probably more than once each, because the next time I see them, I always forget that I told them about it :tongue: ), but they didn’t really take it too seriously. Well, at least as far as I know. Come to, think of it, perhaps someone here is actually someone I told about it. . . . Pfft, nah.

Yes! It’s the only thing I talk about.

In my family only my sister knows, but she also does it. I think my little brother also knows but he’s not really into it. Only 1-2 of my friends knows it but this is something I don’t really talk about to anyone.

For me, dreams are very important and should be taken notice of. There are some psychologists that uses dreams as a tool when treating patients which I’m also hoping for achieving one day. Most people I know of thinks dreams are completely random, useless and means nothing at all. In my honest opinion, I believe every single dream and every single detail in a dream has a significant and important meaning to the person dreaming.

I’ve learned a lot about myself by learning what my dream symbols and scenarios means, but it can be a long journey to learn the meanings of everything in your dream because everything has a unique meaning to you and only you!
For example if I dream of red snow falling from the sky, it could mean love and passionate memories to me; but for someone else it could mean hatred and war. It’s a really complex subject really.

Final thing is that I wish people didn’t compare it to supernatural things or something, because this is a very real thing happening to every single living thing on this planet, from rats to elephants to humans.

I’ve told about 6 or 7 friends, and my family knows (but doesn’t really pay attention to it). The first few of my friends that I told weren’t really into it unless I could show results (I still haven’t had one yet, so they want to know from me if it’s worth the effort). The other friend that I told, yesterday in fact, seemed quite into it. I explained the concept of RC’s to him, and apparently that night he did one before bed and had an extremely brief RCILD later on. So he’s on board now, maybe I’ll have more motivation :smile: Also, one of his friends overheard us talking about it and apparently he’s been practising them for a while now. He’s the kind of person I never would have expected to practise them, but apparently he’s even developed his own induction technique… I say why not talk about it? You never know who might be a closet lucid dreamer :happy:

What a chance, my mother used exact same arguments against me. But anyway, I don’t see why people are intrested in lucid dreams. Nobody outside family knows, but they are not intrested and sometimes even encourage me to stop.

When I found out about it I performed it with my cousin. (the one who trolled me once… :I (fooled me into believing I had shred dream with him and making me go all “Oh mai gawdzorgh!!!” in public) )

Yeah, my little brother is… kind of into this I think, he’s mentioned his attempts a few times but I’m not sure that he’s actually motivated enough.

I’ve also mentioned this to my mother a few times, because she’s told me that she sporadically starts thinking “I’ve had this dream before!” in her dreams, but she doesn’t seem to know the full potential of this.
I’ve told her to try manipulating those dreams if she ever gets them again. :tongue:

I tell almost everyone i know! Spreading the word! :razz:

Only my brother and my mother.

I told my family but they were not interested. My friends are although. I think it depends on who you talk to. If someone has a busy life, they’re generally not interested n dreams because they don’t have time to think about it, like my family. :clock:

I told my parents about lucid dreaming once, but much to my chagrin, they were like “meh, okay, cool” and did not pay much attention to it. I kinda died a little inside that day.

My sister, one of her friends, my best friend and two of my classmates in college know that I like to (lucid) dream. My sister likes to hear my dreams from time to time, but she isn’t interested in trying to become lucid herself.

Her friend, on the other hand, is VERY interested in this kind of stuff. I just mentioned it in one of our group conversations and immediately she was asking me all sorts of questions about lucid dreaming (like how it feels, what are the techniques, etc.) and was telling me about almost every single dream she could remember XDD;

Then there’s my best friend. Actually, I bet the thing that brought us so close together was dreaming, that and SG’s. Apparently she’s had a SG ever since she could remember, and when I mentioned them to her and how we can meet them in our dreams, we immediately connected C:

Finally my two classmates from college. They don’t know much about my lucid dream fetish, but they do know that I keep a dream journal and seem genuinely interested.

Hehehhe after I woke from my first lucid dream (and only so far D:<) I ran downstairs and told my mom and sister. Mom was pretty interested and my sister was like meh.

When I started practising LDing, I’d talk about it with a select few close friends.

Then I joined the forum and thought ‘well, this is nice.’ So I started telling everyone and their limping dog about lucid dreaming and the forum. (When a few waking life friends joined the forum, I moved the more private bits of my dreaming journal to Sealife, which at the time had a huge community overlap with LD4all.)

My friends’ reactions spanned from the ‘grin, head-shake, “you’re weird”’ routine to actual enthusiasm, to complete disbelief that lucid dreaming exists and/or is humanely attainable more or less ‘at will.’ Later I also developed a close friendship with many forum members, which I suppose counts as a technical ‘yes’ to the question of whether my friends know about my LDing.

My family at first got a bit worried that 1. I was way too obsessed about the forum and 2. the whole dreaming thing seemed kind of cultish. Mother eventually started to grow fond of a few people from the forum (Wolf, Moogle, Q, Siw, DarkSider), enough to ask every once in a while how they were doing. As I duly reported most of my dreaming to her during breakfast, the taboo eventually gave way for a wary acceptance that if I were spending way too much time online, at least it was doing me good.

Ugh, I hate when people do that.
I’ve tried to get people into lucid dreaming several times, but their reaction is always like “ah okay, kickass - and now I’m gonna change the subject! :woo:”.
It’s very annoying, because I know they would love lucid dreaming if they actually got into it, but they refuse to be interested.

It’s also a bit risky to mention this stuff, since it does seem to share many similarities with hallucinogenic drugs, so people might even think you’re high or something.