Instruments, instrumentals, inciting!

That is beautiful, though I don’t see it matching a floating island. :razz: I think I like the drums the most.

Wikipedia on the Plasma speaker (evolved Singing Arc)
and the Singing Tesla Coil in particular (and rehashed in Zeusaphone
From what I understand, by modulating the current, they make the ‘lightning’ vibrate at different frequencies. Once you have that mapped, you can feed the music through a program/microcontroller to automatically modulate it for you. Then again, I’m not a scientist and there is no Simple English version of the wikipedia page :razz:
Hmm, here’s another link about Plasma speakers.

Super Mario Bros on a Laser Cutter

Terry Riley - In C: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjR4QYsa9nE
This is quite something. Here is a wikipedia excerpt:

[i]In C consists of 53 short, numbered musical phrases, lasting from half a beat to 32 beats; each phrase may be repeated an arbitrary number of times. Each musician has control over which phrase he or she plays: players are encouraged to play the phrases starting at different times, even if they are playing the same phrase. The performance directions state that the musical ensemble should try to stay within two to three phrases of each other. The phrases must be played in order, although some may be skipped. As detailed in some editions of the score, it is customary for one musician to play the note C in repeated eighth notes, typically on a piano or pitched-percussion instrument (e.g. marimba). This functions as a metronome and is referred to as “The Pulse”.

In C has no set duration; performances can last as little as fifteen minutes or as long as several hours, although Riley indicates “performances normally average between 45 minutes and an hour and a half.” The number of performers may also vary between any two performances. The original recording of the piece was created by 11 musicians (through overdubbing, several dozen instruments were utilized), while a performance in 2006 at the Walt Disney Concert Hall featured 124 musicians.[/i]

I heard this a while back in my GCSE music lessons. Our teacher said that we would record our own, but it never happened… Still, I find aleatoric compositions a lot of fun and, while many people may not like this sort of thing, I certainly do. :content:
Oh, and Svanire sounded wonderful. I think there may be more than just string instruments, as you can hear what sounds like instrumentalists taking their breath at times. Lovely find :happy:

WOW! That in C thing is odd. I see the metronome beat, but gods! I never liked metronomes. It’s like… classical trance. Awesome!

Hehe Fix, that Tesla Coil thing is really cool, Ive seen that before :cool:

Eil, nice that a floppy disk player can be programmed to play that song, a bit nerdy though if you ask me :razz: Im still fascinated

Hello! I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what this instrument here (at around 11 seconds) is. The one that sounds sort of like a wild turkey? (I’ve been wondering forever about where to ask this question!)

O_o You are going to have to be more clear on what time. I have a feeling most of those are more recordeded sounds played on a track or using a synthesizer. But if it is the whistling sound, it is most likely someone whistling. I know there is definitely a horn in here, though I can’t really say what horn. Hell, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a kazoo in there. You would have to wait for like Wyvern, or someone who is experienced in a lot of instruments to come answer.

As a fine example for Wyvern’s love for the Duduk, here is a song from the Avatar: the last airbender series. Uncle Iroh playing the Tsungi Horn. It is also heard again in the Blue Spirit and Whose Destiny, both also from the series. :tongue:

Now I’m wondering, ocarina or duduk. :open_mouth:

Forget all those previous instruments!
They are nothing compared to this!

I present to you:

Broccoli Ocarina!

HAHA! I can top you, Sir Fix. Let me introduce you to the Kazookeylele!!! A kazoo and piano attached to a ukelele, made by crous0. I think his best work is Bohemian Rhapsody. But his first work was The Final Countdown. I randomly stumbled upon this instrument earlier today when looking up some kazoo things. It is -awesome-.

That piano sounds more like a xylophone o_O

And oh man… the nostalgia!
I used to love it when this man would come on tv with his instrument:
Toby Rix on his Toeterix (Honkerix)
Toxy Rix during a trumpet concert
Toby Rix in more recent years (when he was 80!)

/me scratches head

He looks like the trolololo guy… Cow bells, horns, siren, crank… What else? XD

Fix, this is starting to become a game of “my instrument is bigger than yours”. I’m concerned I don’t have enough instruments. XD

In that case:
Here is Toby Rix with his bellchains!

And the Ode to Odd Instruments

The Chachak btw is just a musical wind-up toy that comes from a ‘family’ or other toys: Knockman Wind-up Musical Toys

The OtamaTone is a really odd instrument.

You win! Respect!!!

Docjazz is one of my favourite ocarina players, and this is his Ocarina on iPod of Song of Time.

The artists win :wink:
Awesome version of Song of Time btw :happy:

And back to some ‘normal’ music, but still a very nice performance:
Violin, Drums, Piano and Guitar: Untitled #1 Cover - Paul Dateh - John Chu

And from the same video poster:
Piano, Guitar, Violin and 2 Cellos: Libertango by Ensemble Memo
Though the latter feels like it could use a bit better mixing as the volumes of the instruments feel a bit unbalanced…

and the same song, but then performed by just voices: The Swingle Singers Music Video Piazzolla ‘Libertango’
such beautiful voices…

And a funny flash mob: Swingle Singers underground tube subway performing Soul Bossa Nova

and Swingle Sisters performing Pachelbel’s Canon

Wow. I love this. Pirates of the Carribean - Piano Solo by Jarrod Radnich. He his darn quick with his fingers :tongue:

WAH! Luigi! You found my most favourite cover of “he’s a pirate”. Just to show how awesome Jarrod Radnich is, here is his cover of Hedwig’s Song

I would like to point out that he did an “invisible” version of that a while ago, but I think amongst the flames and the fact that the last part of the movies was released, he redid it.

I don’t know if the song’s actually orcestrated or not, but it makes me happy: the Phenac City theme, from Pokemon XD. You might not get the full effect without having played the game, but the part at 48 seconds really tickles me. :content:

Also, here’s one that definately is orcestrated (unless the guy found a MIDI or something and decided to make it LOOK like he was playing for some reason): Wind Waker Unplugged. Seriously, unless he’s got a whole bunch of identical twins running around, who all happen to play their own intrument, this guy has a lot of talent.

And now for the part of the show where I list all the instruments I own: a keyboard, an upright piano, 3 different ocarinas (one I made myself in pottery class), a glockenspiel, a tremlo harmonica, a guiro, a kalimba, and at least one or two others that I’m forgetting to mention. Also, I don’t know how to play any of them.