Is LDing actually not meant for us?

Last night after practicing for a few nights and having nothing but lots of normal dreams, I got another really good LD.
Now I won’t go into detail in this thread about it, but one thing keeps standing out.
When I get to the point in my dream where I’m able to become lucid and do the reality check, the dream mometarily becomes hostile to me.

For example, last night as I got lucid there was a tall fat man with a walking cane in front of me, as I shouted “I’m lucid dreaming” his face changed and became angry as if I’d taken the control away from him or whatever controls dreams normally.
He then vanished and Ihad a great time, but not without a certain feeling of guilt and trespass??
This has happened before with my lucid dreams, but never as strongley as last night, maybe it’s because I’m getting better?

So, Iwas wondering whether anyone else has the same sorts of thing happen or whther there are stories of certain ‘entities’ that control dreams, ‘the Sand Man’ etc?

This is something that we could really debate endlessly since it’s hard to prove any of it and personal experiences differ. I can say that no, this is not a common occurrence for me. Some DC’s seem to like me being lucid, most are completely indifferent and others still seem to dislike me being lucid. I don’t believe there is any correlation between them and I can’t say I feel that LD’ing isn’t meant for us.

A lot of this will change based on your beliefs on the subject. I don’t view DC’s as much more than constructs of the mind. Well, maybe it’s a bit more complicated than that but that’s a whole different debate :razz:. It’s true, perhaps becoming lucid disrupts one of these processes, or some hidden expectation is occurring that is making it happen for you.

The question is whether this should bother you or not, if you can stop it etc. Stopping it is easier… when you become lucid tell yourself it won’t happen. Or if it does, bring the DC in question back. You have the power. Whether it should bother you is going to be on a more personal level, however. I can only speak for myself there.

Now, if you hold to that there is something more to DC’s then it’s going to be even deeper. Who are these DC’s, why do they disappear, do they die, are they hiding, are they on your side, are they against you? That’s the sort of thing you’ll need to find answers for yourself. You could find some guru to tell you I’m sure, but I think you’d be hard pressed to find 2 with the same answer :razz:

I guess this is all a round about way of saying it, but in the end my point is it’s a personal thing. I don’t think you should feel bad or worry about it, but that’s just me :wink:

interesting thought, sand man??? hmm i have never heard of him… as being real that is, i would personally teach that old man a lesson if i were you, your dream after all

It’s not uncommon for something to go bad once you admit to yourself that you are dreaming within a dream. I’ve had a good amount of times where I shouted “I’m dreaming” in an LD and everything turned blood red, everything started to vibrate and shake, and I felt an intense pain in all of my body until I woke up. I remember being scared, and my fears came true.

It could be that you had some sort of pre-thoughts or fears that came to life? If you think “I hope that man doesn’t become angry and attack me”, your brain will translate this as “that man will become angry and attack me”. There is no way of thinking “I don’t want this to happen” in dreams because it will happen then.

Next time try to do/think something funny if it turns bad, like turning the man into a teddybear or a flower. :smile: Everything is created by you there, and you can do whatever you want with a strong will!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I’ve been thinking about it alot over the past couple of days and think that maybe the man was angry because deep down I didn’t expect or believe that I’d be able to become ‘as lucid’ as I did?
Or maybe the angry man was a manifestation of the mental barrier that used to stop me getting LD’s (the very vivid ones) in the past and perhaps now he’s gone for good and I’ll have years and years of LD’s to come?

I didn’t have an LD last night, in fact, I didn’t dream at all, which is really really unusual for me, normally I have between 3-6 dreams per night.

I’m fully prepared for my next adventure and am expecting to get a seriously good LD either tonight or in the next couple of days, there are so many things I want to try!!! :smile: