Reality Check Failed? :(

Hey everyone!

Okay the nearest i get to lucid dreaming is Friday night/Saturday morning because of no school so i always seem to get close/have a lucid dream at that time.

Anyway so last night i was dreaming and i thought “is this a dream?” looked at my hand and it was normal, looked back at it again still normal ( i forgot about other reality checks) and i thought oh must be awake, then a few minutes later i wake up in my bed :grrr:

Is it often that the hand check fails?

Anyway next time i will remember to do more than one reality check!

Yes, sometimes reality checks fail. Be sure to do several if you want to be more certain of which reality you are in.

Hand check can easily fail. Your subconscious is good at creating illusions based on what you believe. For example, people often have trouble going through walls. Why? Because you don’t believe you can! Thus, if you rely on being able to go through walls as an RC then you are very likely to fail. Many RC techniques fall into this category, your hand check routine included. I like to call them Unreliable RCs.

So what is a Reliable RC? IMO, pinching nose is one of the most reliable RC techniques. Pinch your nose and see if you can still breathe. If you can then you are dreaming. Why is it reliable? Because it is impossible to suffocate in your dreams. Your subconscious simply cannot make that up!!!

Perhaps you could try writing something on the palm of your hand before you go to sleep.
If you remember to do a reality check by looking at your hands,the writing will probably have changed or won’t be there.

I’m not an expert, but I had the same trouble last night with mt RC, but it still worked even though I could look at my hands lol??
So, tonight, I’m gonna write something on my hand.

I never heard the “double check your hand RC” before… Maybe you mixed it up with reading text twice?

This RC does exist, but it’s similar to the text RC, you’re right. The purpose of the hand RC is to look at your hand, checking if it looks normal. Then look away and at your hand again, expecting something odd about your hand like additional fingers.

:eek: I see.

You could do the classic by pinching yourself.

I recommend trying to pull your skin or one of your fingers. In a dream setting your skin might be very stretchy like rubber or your finger could become very long. :lol: