Scared to try

deleted

i personally didn´t ever get into SP and i can tell you: its not as simple as “ok tonight i´m gonna do WILD and have a LD”. It´s a long way to having a LD every night.

deleted

Well, I would suggest not using WILD as a first technique. If you’re not keeping a dream journal, you should start one. It helps you remember your dreams, and you can read back through and look for common themes in your dreams to help you recognize them.

You can also use MILD to repeat a simple phrase such as “I will be lucid” a few times before you go to bed. Personally, I’d suggest no more than five, as long as you put meaning into those few repititions.

I would also suggest using the WBTB method and wake up (if possible) 4 1/2 to 6 hours after you go to sleep. It’s helpful if you write down any dreams that you remember from the first part of the night. You can also spend a few minutes reading about LDs, and maybe you can repeat another MILD phrase a few times before going back to sleep.

However, aside from what I tell most people new to LDs who want to try WILD right away, I’ll answer your question as well. I personally enjoy SP, but it’s different for everyone. A lot of people get HH, sights and sounds while you’re still falling asleep. I don’t for the most part. Another thing to remember is that you go into sleep paralysis every night whether or not you’re conscious of it. It’s to keep yourself from acting out your dreams IRL.

The reason I put other suggestions first is because WILD is a difficult technique. It is not recommended for those who are just beginning, and it requires a lot of practice. Though it might seem easy, it’s really not. I find it much easier to use other methods such as MILD and WBTB, and they’re just as effective (if maybe not more, due to the difference in difficulty).

Any way you decide to go about your LD practice, I wish you luck!

I agree with ZRVera. I’m also trying to have a LD and all I can suggest to you is to keep a Dream Journal.

I hardly ever reminded any dream for almost a year. But, since I started recording them a week ago I’m able to recall 2 o 3 dreams the same night. :content:

I’m also doing a lot of RC because I just can’t remain trying WILD too late due to my schedule. I prefer MILD. Next week, when I finish my exams I’ll try WBTB method.

deleted

well until sunday i thought, that in a dream you see less then IRL but when i had a LD i really looked around and had to see that it was all like being awake. It´s as natural as the real world except there are some logic mismatches :happy:

deleted

LOL of all birds…interesting choice :spinning:

good luck, dennis.

persevere, man!

deleted

Well, seeing as how WILD is already difficult when combined with WBTB, it’s even HARDER to do at bedtime. It’s possible, but it’s pretty much not going to happen. MILD, etc., still works without WBTB and such. I would suggest trying that instead. I mostly use a personal form of MILD myself.

today i had to get up early to have breakfast with my family but school started hours later so i tried WBTB and WILD together. I didn´t fall asleep :sad: and i had massive problems with saliva etc. to the experienced WILDers what can i do to prevent the urge to swallow?

Don’t make a big deal out of swallowing. If you have to swallow, do it. Otherwise, it just distracts you. You don’t have to not swallow for it to work.

deleted

There isn’t anything to be afraid of with WILD. I really enjoy the experience myself. There are a lot of different methods of doing it. Try not to think of it as something that is hard to do. That always imo just makes things harder. The only thing I can think of that hasn’t already been said is that doing some meditation on a regular basis can be a huge help. You can do wild at bedtime but I know a lot of people find the WBTB easier. Anyway good luck with your attempt tonight.

Check out my DJ I have a dream about flying as an eagle in there. Was one of the most awesome experiences I have had. An owl that sounds interesting. Have to try to keep that in mind.

this is general advice about fear, not specifically your fear:

when faced with a fear, the first thing to ask oneself is “What is the WORST that can happen?” i would say the worst is you’ll be conscious for an unpleasant experience you’re normally unconscious for.

The second thing to do, once you’ve answered that question to your own satisfaction (my answer may not be satisfactory - find a satisfactory answer) is to shift your focus away from your fear. Usually fear comes with a little excitement, or curiosity (emotions rarely are ever “pure” - there’s a dominant emotion and then underlying emotions) - find what other emotions you feel about the event that are positive emotions, and focus on those.

the third step is once you’ve found the positive emotions that correlate to the fear you’re trying to overcome, face your fear.

good luck dennis.

deleted

That depends on just how lucid and aware you are during your dreams.

A better way to word this is … how vivid are your normal dreams? Are they kinda fuzzy around the edges? Distinct, but definitely have an unreal feeling? (I fall somewhere between the last two) Very real seeming, but there’s something subtle off? So real when you wake up you have to do a reality check?

Lucid dreaming will help you make your dreams seem more real, but when you begin, it’ll be a dream that you know you’re dreaming in. You may not have control over the dream either (just awareness that you’re dreaming).

deleted

just to let you know, not ALL LD’s are that real. Just in case you get lucid and think it sucks :razz: there are many levels of vividness. But it is definitelly worth persevering for one of the good ones :cool:

EDIT: actually, IMO it’s worth persevering even for the low lucid crappy vividness ones :grin: , just to make that clear…