WILD help

[center]I just can’t seem to get into SP, let alone get the hallucinations or the flashy things that you will you see or something. I have tried my best to not make any movements, like swallowing and stuff.
However, when I decided to give up, I moved my hands and they felt numb, so was my leg and when I opened my eyes to check what happened , my eye opening was followed by a quick flash. That was all and I went to bed normally after that.
How long does one need to stay in the position in order to experience WILD?[/center]

same thing i tried doing WILD yesterday to and after a lot of minutes i gave up and i tried to go to anotherposition but when i did it felt like my arms and legs were waking up so i think i was pretty close to SP

I’m starting to believe that wild isn’t real. I did the same thing. I went to bed. And I felt my body get more and mor numb and real heavy… Real slowly. I even at one point literally felt like a strong force was trying to push me on my side. But that might just be me. I even started to hear some funny noises but nothing alarming, I saw nothing really important. At one point however I think I heard music for a split two seconds. Too short to really know though. And I was too out of it at that point in time.

Diff people have diff instructions about wild. Some say to wake up after five hours of sleep and then to go back to bed. Some say you can do it whenever. I would think it would work best if u got a pretty decent amount of sleep the night befor and then the next day try to take a nap and see if that works.i tried the wake up from your alarm trick. I have a very quiet and chill alarm. And whenever i wake up to it I’m so out of it all I do is try to turn it off… Im not thinking to my self “don’t move! Recall the dream!” anyone who can say that to themselves when they wake up at 6 am is crazy.

I’ve tried WILD a few times, sometimes when I go to sleep for the night and in naps as well. I’ve never seen anything but a few random colours. Supposedly, you’re meant to start seeing more colours and eventually images but I never have.

I really don’t recommend beginners to start off with WILD, it’s something that takes time, and you have to really work around with it. It’s really frustrating at the beginning, and can be a motivation ruiner. I think the best technique to start off with is first making RC-ing a habit as well as journaling your dreams. But if you really want to continue on with WILD then it’s alright. WILD-ing should not be done right when you’re going to bed, it’s most difficult, doing it in the morning works a lot better. & the amount of time to reach SP differs from person to person, it really depends on how relaxed your body is.

Goodluck with your quest to lucidity! :content:

StarryGwee said most of what I was about to say. :smile: WILD can be tricky, specially for beginners. There’s nothing wrong about being a beginner, everyone starts out as one :tongue:, but most people seem to think that WILD seems interesting (which it is, of course), or they are too proud when people say it’s hard, or they think WILD is the only way to have LD’s nightly, so they try it anyway (I did too, don’t worry :rofl:). But the worst part is getting frustrated, because frustration will only make it worse and will affect your motivation. Most of my WILD’s were accidental, I sort of become aware during HI and go from there, or I do DEILD when I’m lucky enough to stay still.

Everyone has a different version of WILD because WILD is very personal, which makes step-by-step guides near useless IMO. You’ll learn a million times more by each night being aware and learning from your own experiences. “what happens if I try Y instead of X? Did X fail because it doesn’t work or because I need to practice it?” etc.

One of the main problems in WILD guides or people giving tips on WILD is they talk about SP and HI. Sure, they are a part of the process, but you aren’t always aware of them. Some people WILD without ever getting HI or feeling SP. I’ve had WILD’s with SP and no HI, with HI and no SP, with both and (probably) with none… So when people don’t get them they think it’s not working or that they aren’t making any progress. Another bad thing about this is many many many people see HI and SP as a checkpoint (which is understandable, don’t get me wrong). But in my personal experience, waiting and looking for these signs will delay them and make you miss other things… I so often see posts talking about their FAILED attempts… I hate that word because they say things like “I saw some images or got SP or whatever but couldn’t get into the LD”. You got something! give yourself some credit!! Focus on the little successes :grin: You’re not going to learn how to WILD over night (no pun intended).

One more thing, to WILD you need to fall asleep while remaining aware, not stay awake in the same position… it may seem subtle, but there’s a difference. So it’s not just a matter of “how long do I need to stay still?” :neutral: .

Oh, one last thing lol. To the person that mentioned an urge to roll on their side. That’s what some people call the “roll over signal”, it’s the body’s test to see if the mind is awake. So many people will tell you that if you hang in there the body will “think” that the mind is already asleep seeing as it (you) didn’t respond by rolling over and will assume it’s safe to go into SP. This is true, but for some people (like myself) this signal can get so strong it’s almost painful, so I’m unable to resist it for long and end up rolling over. BUT, rolling over doesn’t mean you’ve “failed” the WILD attempt. I’ve given in to that signal and almost entered a WILD like that a few times. I think it only didn’t work because at the time I thought “Argh! I can’t take it anymore… I’ve failed, I’ll just roll over and go to sleep”. So I just gave up and went into a ND immediatelly. If I’d rolled over and tried to remain aware I would have gotten into the dream lucidly :cool: . I haven’t tried in a while actually, I should!

Anyway, long post and all, sorry, got carried away, but my last words are practice, patience and take things lightly. If you’re getting stressed or frustrated, stop, give a break, or try something else for a while. Trust me, the more you enjoy the whole learning process the better you’ll get. :content:

I won’t lose my motivations after trieing to not move at all and counting my breathing i got annoyed by the urge to swallow and after that i got some slime in my throat(hope you understand what i mean) so i just gave up and said to myself “you can’t expect it to be that easy” and i just tried to sleep normally :smile:

I know what you mean, I also tried WILD once and I really got into SP but then of all timesthe damn phone rung :grrr: . When I tried it again a few minutes later I couldn’t get in SP.
So I simply decided to use MILD and WBTB because everybody in the forum says it’s easier.

When people say “don’t move the moment you wake up”, what they really mean is “relax the moment you wake up”. This is because relaxing enables you to stay still more easily. If you wake up and go “omg I need to stay still… omg omg omg” then you’re obviously not going to have a lot of success. Also, WILD is in no way harder than any other technique. Don’t let yourself be brainwashed by other people’s opinions.

Ok guys so I just tried WILDing again
This time I stayed still for soooooo dammnnn long
Then suddenly I could see light, Idk what it really was so…
Then I began to have a very severe itch all over my body. It felt horrible, it was very VERY VERY HORRIBLE. Then I lifted up my hands to scratch it. Just as I moved my hands, the itch resided.
So…

WTF WAS THAT???!!

“Rome wasn’t built in a day.” I suppose that means the learning curve for techniques like WILD are compensating for the fact that you can snap your fingers and build Rome in a dream.

My two nights of attempting the “chaining” thing show promise, though. My arms start to feel… fuzzy. It’s sort of hard to describe. In fact, I think my main problem is the sensation excites me, and excitement would obviously make it difficult to fall the rest of the way asleep.

Oh well, it’s morning, which is apparently a good time for WILD, so back to bed with me.

WAAAAAIT… WILD works better in the morning? Damn. I can’t get back to sleep after I have awaken.

StarryGwee above said it works well in the morning. Then again, mattias said everyone has a different version of WILD, so it may be a matter of trial and error. Practicing until you find a time that works well for you.

All I can say is good luck and keep at it. And have fun, of course.

WILD right when you go to bed is very very hard as it takes a long time for you to enter your first REM. That’s why people say you should wake up in the middle of the night and try then, since you enter REM a lot quicker then… You can use an alarm or auto-suggestion to wake up.

Oh, and if you need to swallow, swallow! It won’t affect your WILD as much as thinking “argh, I need to swallow! but I can’t, but I must, but I can’t… must resist!”, etc. :wink:

@LetUsDreamTogether: that weird itch is like the roll over signal, is a test to see if the mind is asleep already. It’s an illusion, that’s why as soon as you moved it went away :razz:

One piece of advice I can give about wild even though I’ve never done it is when you start entering sleep paralysis, It can Sortve get your brain going and freak you out a little bit. But relax and keep your breathing to a minimum. When I start to notice change in my state I start to breathe more heavily which is actually how you get out of sleep paralysis, or so ive been told. So try not to breathe heavier than normal.

Ah damnnn shouldn’t have moved