False awakening, strange thing.

So i had a false awakening today, I woke up in my bed and saw the clock and the time was 12:26, I said " damn its late lemme check" so i turned the TV and it said 12:26… then I woke up in real life, and i said DAMN! that was a false awakening! but then I thought… Why were the clocks i saw normal? Isnt it supposed that in dreams the clocks are acting weird?

As I already told other people:
It depends. Maybe the clocks are monsters, maybe they are liquid, or maybe they work just fine.
This is the main problem with such dreamsigns, you can’t be sure if you have no experience with them. You shouldn’t use this as a dreamsign anymore, because as you noticed it doesn’t work out well for you.

what others do u recommend besides seeing my hands ?

I’m not that experienced but for me thinking about how I came “here” worked out fine. I just watched the movie “Interception” before sleeping (BTW great movie).

It’s best to do multiple reality checks at once just to be on the safe side, because (as you’ve shown) reality checks can fail. My personal favorites include pushing my finger through my palm and pinching my nose to see if I can still breathe.

my exact RC’s, I have had a few FA’s, but I have yet to see a clock in my dreams since attempting LD. I have been training my self throughout the day to do RC’s. Its hard but you gotta keep to it.

The nose check hasn’t failed me yet. You should do multiple RCs throughout the day. I stop look at my surroundings then check my hands then nose then a clock.

well i do 3 RC at one, just to be sure! im looking at my hand, im pinching myself and i close my nose… i do them 10-15 times a day… be sure to do a lot of rcs, every day! a great exercise i learned from dB_FTS in a forum, is that you do RC every time you see or do something… for example you do RC every time you see a red car +every time you see a big building + every time you eat (just an example)…

inception is wrong. dreams within dreams aren’t cool, they’re annoying to have.

my 2 cents, lol.

Mine was waking up, hitting the alarm clock, sitting up in bed, and then standing up, only to feel the floor drop out underneath me and falling down a bottomless cavern – terrifying!

You don’t necessarily have to restrict yourself to the common Reality Checks, you can look for anything that in some way gives away that it’s a dream.
Maybe the general atmosphere of your house is bizarre, maybe the walls have different colours, maybe the landlord sneaks in and installs a shower in your kitchen (happened to me once), maybe you feel a strange resistance when you try to walk, or maybe there is a zebra next to your bed.
Basically, look for any sort of unnatural or weird events.
Do this every morning so that it becomes a habit.

One very reliable RC is to check what your house looks like - houses almost always look at least slightly different in dreams, with doors at odd locations etc.

So I havent had any LDs yet but started to keep DJ and doing Rcs.

But what I wanted to ask is, how does it feel to breath trough your nose while keeping it shut. :happy: I mean in the dream. Just so dying to experience that. :smile:

It’s a fun one – it feels just like taking a very deep, clear breath through your nose. Having that feeling while pinching your nose shut is so shocking that it’ll almost certainly make you lucid. This is especially true if you have been practicing the RC in your waking life and have grown accustomed to the pressurized, “blocked” sensation in your nose that this elicits in the real world.

Finger through the palm was my first, and also quite cool. My finger didn’t pierce for that one – just stretched the opposite hand like taffy.

Also, like the original poster, I too have experienced realistic clock times when performing SSILD. That technique often produces extremely convincing false awakenings. In my case, this included believable clock times! Although lucid dreams are the best, I’ve loved the false awakenings and vivid non-lucid dreams that came with LD-related techniques and dream journaling.

Yes I have been doing RCs in waking life but havent been doing it in a dream yet. Although I have just began to try to get lucid. Thanks for the answer:)

Those clocks I see everyone talking about… I remember that in my last dream I was driving a car and looked to the speedometer and first it was 40km/h and then when I looked it again it was somelike jumping from 80km/h to 95km/h… I wonder if this works as same as the clocks? Could this be a sign that Im getting closer to LD?

And I was stunned how good those mantra things are… I was telling my self that when I wake up from a dream I will remember it. And when I woke up I writed like 2 pages to my DJ.

Have the “am I dreaming” mind set whenever you wake up

Here’s another cool little tidbit about this reality check – your breathing in your dream body is apparently tied to the sensation of breathing in your real body.

When I became lucid early this morning via the nose pinch reality check, I was surprised to find that I could only breathe through my left nostril but not the right. I still became lucid but this was quite strange.

I discovered the reason for this upon awakening – I was sleeping on my stomach and my face (including the right side of my nose) was mashed against the pillow! :smile: This sensation had carried over directly into the dream.